Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

PLAID SHIRT GUY
https://claytoonz.com/2018/09/13/plaid-shirt-guy/

By now, you’ve heard of Plaid Shirt Guy. Tyler Linfesty is a high school senior in Billings, Montana. He got prime seating behind Trump at his rally earlier this week, yet he’s not a supporter.

Plaid Shirt Guy was seen raising his eyebrows, grimacing, shaking his head, and at one point, widened his eyes in confusion and mouthed, “what?”

The Trump propaganda machine noticed that the kid could be seen on camera and apparently hadn’t drunk the Kool-Aid. They immediately sent a staffer to remove him from his seat and take his place (which proves the Trump campaign does pay people to cheer at his rallies).

The images of the kid went viral, and he became an internet sensation and even a hero to many.

The 17-year-old identifies as a social democrat. He and some friends wanted to see an American president in the flesh, and unfortunately for them, they got Donald Trump. I’ve seen it too, but in that instance, I removed myself from the rally.

After signing up for the rally, Linfesty said he was notified that he was selected for V.I.P. status, which meant that he would get to meet Trump and have access to premier seating. He said organizers instructed them to clap and cheer, but he couldn’t for comments he didn’t support or agree with. He didn’t realize he was so visible until friends texted him during the speech.

After being yanked, his friends were replaced too. From there, the Secret Service checked his identification and eventually told him to leave and to never come back.

My favorite thing about Mr. Linfesty is that he’s turning 18 next month and will vote in November.

Linfesty, who now has over 37,000 followers on Twitter (I’m jealous) tweeted yesterday, “is not about me. It’s about people not standing in the background letting our leadership say whatever the hell they want and getting away with it. For too long our incompetent, corrupt leaders have gone unchecked. Let’s change that.”

This 17-year-old has more sense than adults who voted for and still support Trump. He’s too smart to fall for the conman. He also knows that to make real change and to improve the country, you need to vote.

Now, he’s my hero too. Reading about so many 18-year-old voters who will be voting for the first time, now that’s something to scream for.

cjones09182018.jpg

You might have noticed that in news coverage of Alex Jones, he is routinely referred to as a “conspiracy theorist” without attribution or cited evidence. This is a convention adopted when there is not serious dispute about the description. Alex Jones IS a conspiracy theorist. The evidence is ample.

Now, with regard to the current occupant of the Oval Office, can we please apply the same standard? Instead of counting up lies and putting them up on https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/12/anatomy-trump-rally-percent-claims-are-false-misleading-or-lacking-evidence/?utm_term=.2014bf850b26 (the big tote board,) can we move on to the obvious conclusion? In any news story about the president, can we simply refer to him as a “compulsive liar”? I don’t see why not. The evidence is ample and beyond dispute.

And it isn’t just a matter of “why not?” There are enough reasons WHY we should do this. Counting up and/or refuting President Trump’s lies is an exercise with diminishing returns. It is like adding additional littering citations on top of a garbage landfill. Everybody knows now that Trump’s statements are more likely to be untrue than true. It’s time to start addressing the implications of that.

Counting up lies is starting to feel more like a parlor game than a response to a cancer. A culture of lies is being introduced and normalized in the government of the United States, and it is that culture that needs to be understood. Just like with Jones, it’s a waste of everyone’s time to try to fact-check and refute every new crazy theory that he introduces. Identifying him as what he is, a conspiracy theorist, gets to the heart of the problem. That Trump is a habitual liar is the heart of the problem of his communication to the American people.

But, you might say, Alex Jones isn’t president of the United States. And I would say even MORE reason to identify Trump for what he is. Reporting his statements without adding “compulsive liar” gives those statements a veneer of plausibility and respectability that they absolutely do not deserve.

Yes, Donald Trump, compulsive liar, is president of the United States. It is a circumstance you don’t want to contribute to prolonging.

The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers.

President Trump is facing a test to his presidency unlike any faced by a modern American leader.

It’s not just that the special counsel looms large. Or that the country is bitterly divided over Mr. Trump’s leadership. Or even that his party might well lose the House to an opposition hellbent on his downfall.

The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

I would know. I am one of them.

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM IS THE PRESIDENT’S AMORALITY. ANYONE WHO WORKS WITH HIM KNOWS HE IS NOT MOORED TO ANY DISCERNIBLE FIRST PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE HIS DECISION MAKING.

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.

The anonymous N.Y. Times op-ed, "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration," has drawn 14.5 million page views and sparked a week-long whodunit. [15,000+ comments]

Listening to the stories of the many people living in this state, who refuse to evacuate areas threatened by Hurricane Florence; not because they don't believe there is a danger or because they aren't terrified—but because they fear entering a public shelter makes them vulnerable to ICE.

This is where we are now: people would rather face the fury of a natural disaster than the cruelty of our Government, and I don't blame them.

The transfer of ten million dollars from FEMA to ICE, crystalizes this Administration's commitment to cause trauma, not help people in it—and it's a flat-out human rights disgrace.

And before you want to post some nonsense here about people like me wanting open borders or no accountability, save it. That's your President's fake news.

We can have laws and systems and safeguards, but we can also have compassion and respect for humanity under duress, and seek to do no harm.

Right now, we only have a party whose sole priority is fear.

That's not a country I want my or anyones children to inherit. Not even yours

that's a good thing i want illegal immigrants to fear ICE

FEMA should be abolished and all funds transferred to ICE. ICE is constitutional FEMA is not. Local and private donations can replace FEMA. it's not a roe for the federal government

Yes we have laws that need to be enforced on Illegal aliens

Listening to the stories of the many people living in this state, who refuse to evacuate areas threatened by Hurricane Florence; not because they don't believe there is a danger or because they aren't terrified—but because they fear entering a public shelter makes them vulnerable to ICE.

This is where we are now: people would rather face the fury of a natural disaster than the cruelty of our Government, and I don't blame them.

The transfer of ten million dollars from FEMA to ICE, crystalizes this Administration's commitment to cause trauma, not help people in it—and it's a flat-out human rights disgrace.

And before you want to post some nonsense here about people like me wanting open borders or no accountability, save it. That's your President's fake news.

We can have laws and systems and safeguards, but we can also have compassion and respect for humanity under duress, and seek to do no harm.

Right now, we only have a party whose sole priority is fear.

That's not a country I want my or anyones children to inherit. Not even yours

People should always fear putting their lives in government hands for any reason. I wouldn't go near a shelter unless it was to rescue a starving family member who mistakenly got trapped in one.

[Thread] BREAKING: Pres. Trump rejects independent study that reports an estimated 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico in 5 months after Hurricane Maria; provides no evidence to discount the study; declares, without evidence, that the higher death toll is political ploy to make him look bad.

President Trump argues that the preliminary death toll he was given immediately after Hurricane Maria could not have gone up to the toll that independent study reports with an estimated 2,975 people dead; he does not site evidence to back up his refutation of the study.

Last month, Puerto Rico increased its official Hurricane Maria death toll estimate to 2,975 after release of report commissioned by officials.

Thread by @NBCNews: "BREAKING: Pres. Trump rejects independent study that reports an estimated 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico in 5 months after Hurricane Maria […]"