Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

President Trump placed responsibility for recent stock market declines and this week’s General Motors plant closures and layoffs on the Federal Reserve during an interview Tuesday, shirking any personal responsibility for cracks in the economy and declaring that he is “not even a little bit happy” with his hand-selected central bank chairman.

In a wide-ranging and sometimes discordant 20-minute interview with The Washington Post, Trump complained at length about Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome H. “Jay” Powell, whom he nominated earlier this year. He argued that rising interest rates and other Fed policies were damaging the economy — including GM’s announcement this week that it was laying off 15 percent of its workforce — though he insisted that he is not worried about a recession.

“I’m doing deals and I’m not being accommodated by the Fed,” Trump said. “They’re making a mistake because I have a gut and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody else’s brain can ever tell me.”
I'd place the blame on GM building shit cars. One of the worst car builders out there.

“When they say the kind of thing they say in Paragraph 5 of that memo, ‘He did his best, he tried,’ they’re not asserting as his attorneys that he absolutely told the truth and was being done wrong by the Mueller team,” said Glenn Kirschner, who formerly headed the homicide unit for the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s office. “They are giving up their client right there.”

Lying to the FBI is illegal, and it’s a crime that has ensnared a host of Mueller’s targets: former national security advisor Michael Flynn, campaign advisor George Papadopoulos, campaign staffer Rick Gates, and Manafort-connected lawyer Alexander van der Zwaan.

Greg Brower, who was a senior official at the FBI and the U.S. attorney for Nevada, said he also thought Manafort’s attorneys’ statement may indicate they doubt their client’s honesty.

“I think that may in fact be right, that the lawyers by using that language are acknowledging that the objective facts would appear to suggest that their client is not telling the truth, but nevertheless that their client maintains that he is telling the truth,” he said.

Others disagree. Elie Honig, who prosecuted members of the Gambino crime family as an assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of New York, advised against reading too much into Manafort’s lawyers’ language.

“When they say the kind of thing they say in Paragraph 5 of that memo, ‘He did his best, he tried,’ they’re not asserting as his attorneys that he absolutely told the truth and was being done wrong by the Mueller team,” said Glenn Kirschner, who formerly headed the homicide unit for the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s office. “They are giving up their client right there.”

Lying to the FBI is illegal, and it’s a crime that has ensnared a host of Mueller’s targets: former national security advisor Michael Flynn, campaign advisor George Papadopoulos, campaign staffer Rick Gates, and Manafort-connected lawyer Alexander van der Zwaan.

Greg Brower, who was a senior official at the FBI and the U.S. attorney for Nevada, said he also thought Manafort’s attorneys’ statement may indicate they doubt their client’s honesty.

“I think that may in fact be right, that the lawyers by using that language are acknowledging that the objective facts would appear to suggest that their client is not telling the truth, but nevertheless that their client maintains that he is telling the truth,” he said.

Others disagree. Elie Honig, who prosecuted members of the Gambino crime family as an assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of New York, advised against reading too much into Manafort’s lawyers’ language.
Hey scales, did your lawyers look nervous?