Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

President Trump has agreed to shut down his embattled personal charity and give away its remaining funds amid allegations that he used it for his personal and political benefit, the New York attorney general announced Tuesday.

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood announced that the Donald J. Trump Foundation is dissolving as her office pursues its lawsuit against the charity, Trump and his three eldest children.

The attorney general’s suit, filed in June, alleged “persistently illegal conduct” at the charity and sought to have the foundation shut down. Underwood is continuing to seek more than $2.8 million in restitution and has asked a judge to ban the Trumps temporarily from serving on the boards of other New York nonprofits.

Underwood said Tuesday that her investigation found “a shocking pattern of illegality involving the Trump Foundation — including unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more.”

“This is an important victory for the rule of law, making clear that there is one set of rules for everyone,” she added in a statement.

The attorney general’s probe turned up evidence that Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump — all listed as officers of the charity — had never actually held a board meeting. The board hadn’t met since 1999. The charity’s official treasurer, Trump Organization executive Allen Weisselberg, told investigators that he wasn’t aware he was on the board at all.

State investigators asked Weisselberg what the foundation’s policies were to determine whether its payments were proper.

“There’s no policy, just so you understand,” Weisselberg said.

For a man facing daily attacks for his activism and liberal vision of the world, George Soros was in a curiously buoyant mood on a sunswept afternoon in Marrakesh. He had just visited South Africa, home to his first philanthropic foray in the late 1970s, when he funded black students under apartheid. This time he learnt that Soros-backed investigative media and civil society groups had helped thwart an allegedly corrupt nuclear power plant contract with Russia.

“It was a tremendous boost to reinforce my belief that we are doing something right,” says Mr Soros. “We haven’t stopped having a beneficial influence.”

Influence has come at a painfully high cost for the 88-year-old father of the hedge fund industry and one of the world’s most prominent philanthropists. From his native Hungary to his adopted America, the forces of nationalism and populism are battering the liberal democratic order he has tirelessly supported. The man once described as the only individual with a foreign policy must contend with the rise of strongmen across the globe — and a vicious backlash designed to delegitimise him.

The Financial Times’s choice of Person of the Year is usually a reflection of their achievements. In the case of Mr Soros this year, his selection is also about the values he represents.

Take a step back and think about how this looks to audiences around the world: 1) the US NSA was serving a foreign government, Turkey

2. The US NSA was a major Russian CI asset because they knew he engaged in irresponsible ( and possibly illegal) contacts with them and the lied about it.

3. The US President hasn’t expressed any dismay that his senior most national security advisor was engaged in illegal activity that hurt national security rather then help it.

4. National Security Advisors have access to the most sensitive information in our country and Presidents, in my experience, have relied on them to conduct thorough policy development processes. Shouldn’t @realDonaldTrump be upset his pick was working for someone else?

5. If the NSA ( who is supposed to have the experience, wherewithal, and intent to advance US natsec) was for sale and dumb enough to get played by the Russians does that make you feel safe and secure?

6. And if the President doesn't criticize the behavior, but condones it, what precedent does that set for his staff going forward? Work for whomever you like, even our enemies, just don't get caught?

7. When I was @WhiteHouse there was an @FBI investigation that involved the WH. Illegal actions by a senior member of the team was an opportunity to remind ALL staff about proper protocols to follow and the costs for failing to do so.

Thread by @sam_vinograd: "Take a step back and think about how this looks to audiences around the world: 1) the US NSA was serving a foreign government, Turkey 2. The […]"

A corrupt and fraudulent family foundation. Hush money to mistresses to help swing an election--felony violations of campaign finance laws. Seeking and embracing the help of an enemy to win an election. Repeatedly obstructing justice to cover up those crimes.

Selling out American interests to patrons overseas. Profiting from the presidency. Helping foreign murderers cover up the murder of an American permanent resident. Attacking our allies. Destroying the international architecture that has been the foundation of our strength.

Lying to the American people on average 10 times a day. Celebrating Nazis as very fine people. Building concentration camps for children on our borders. Racist policies that turn away good people from our shores. Serial misogyny. Upwards of 20 cases of sexual harassment.

At least one accusation of rape from an underage minor. A massive, decades long record of income tax fraud. 17 separate investigations into his activities. Virtually every major organization he has run for two decades under investigation.

An international record of celebrating despots and autocrats and kleptocrats and brutal totalitarians and enemies. Unprecedented isolation from America's friends and a repeated record of insults of them and international rejection of him as a trusted leader.

Attacking America's law enforcement institutions. Attacking America's intelligence institutions. Collaborating with fellow travelers in the Congress to circumvent the laws and to undermine decades and decades of regulation. Irreversible damage done to the environment.

A campaign to take health care away from the neediest Americans. A systematic effort to deport productive contributors to our society who have lived and worked here for decades. Hypocrisy. Vulgarity. Deceit. Criminal behavior. Serial violation of his oath of office. Serial betrayal of his country.

This is our president.
This is the heir to Washington and Lincoln. He stole the office with the aid of our enemies and he has done grievous damage to this country ever since.

Sometimes I walk through Alexandria where I live past the places Washington walked and I have to admit it, it makes me physically ill. It is hard to imagine that there is a line from Washington to Trump, that we could have so squandered the legacies of past generations.

Read this list of wrongs and crimes and missteps and compound it with the ignorance and the incompetence and the absence of principles and the deficiency of character of this man. Think how each and any of them might have disqualified past leaders.

Think how you wouldn't allow such a man into your home or contact with your children and then of the power and prestige he has been given, the precious gifts of heritage that have been placed in his hands.

It is easy to grow numb to this. It is possible to become distracted by rage. But remembering what is at stake we must focus on undoing this great wrong that took place in 2016 and seeking justice for the crimes that contributed to that and have unfolded since.

Imagine what Washington or Lincoln would say were they to see this. Worse still, imagine what our grandchildren and generations to come will say. This is the history we bequeath to them. Let it in the end be an affirmation of our institutions and our ability to repel danger.

Let it in the end be worthy of the best of the legacy that came before. We're an imperfect society, but we should not elevate the worst among us as we have done with this man Trump and the corrupt crowd of enablers surrounding him.

Thread by @djrothkopf: "A corrupt and fraudulent family foundation. Hush money to mistresses to help swing an election--felony violations of campaign finance laws. […]"

A year-old conspiracy theory simmering in both far-right message boards and mainstream conservative publications that predicted former national security advisor Michael Flynn would be exonerated fell apart on Tuesday at his sentencing hearing, leaving believers perplexed.

The rumors, which were pushed heavily by believers in the Qanon conspiracy theory in recent days, predicted that Judge Emmett Sullivan would throw out Flynn’s guilty plea and reprimand Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team for nefarious investigating practices.

In reality, Sullivan excoriated Flynn, saying that “arguably, you sold your country out” by working as an unregistered foreign agent to Turkey while advising President Donald Trump during his candidacy and clarifying with Flynn that he did not wish to challenge the circumstances under which he was interviewed by the FBI. Flynn's defense attorneys https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/special-counsel-rejects-suggestion-by-flynns-attorneys-that-he-was-misled-in-fbi-interview/2018/12/14/e604878e-ffdd-11e8-ad40-cdfd0e0dd65a_story.html?utm_term=.9a0bbb964ef1 (suggested last week) that he had somehow been entrapped into lying to the FBI.

FELIZ NAVIDAD
https://claytoonz.com/2018/12/19/feliz-navidad/

As you celebrate the holidays this season, take at least a moment and think of the nearly 15,000 children currently detained in Donald Trump’s child prison camps.

Most of the migrant children are teenage boys from Central America who crossed the southern border unaccompanied. Most were escaping gangs or poverty and are seeking asylum in the U.S. In November, an average of 175 unaccompanied children crossed the border every day. A senior official with the Department of Health and Human Services blamed a broken immigration system that acts as a “perverse incentive” for undocumented children to cross the border in the first place. Damn this American freedom.

The more than 100 federally contracted shelters (that means someone’s making a lot of money off of this) are 92 percent full. The largest shelter is in Tornillo, west Texas, and it’s composed of heated tents a few hundred yards from the Rio Grande. Currently, there are 2,800 children in the Tornillo shelter. It can accommodate 3,800 children.

There are sponsors waiting for many of these kids. The sponsors are usually family members and the children stay with them while their respective cases for asylum are pending. There is a vetting process for the sponsors, but that process has slowed down to a crawl. The daily discharge rate is about one percent. The Trump administration vets sponsors’ immigration status and requires all adults in a household seeking to care for an immigrant child to submit their fingerprints for a background check. Previous administrations did not do this. They are discouraging people from sponsoring these children.

There are also children being detained because of Trump’s “zero-tolerance” policy that separates parents from their children at the southern border.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, detained children often suffer from anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. I’m sure that will be on Donald Trump’s mind while he’s golfing at Mar-a-Lago during his Christmas vacation. I hear the resort makes a mean ham.

While the shelters will give the children Christmas “festivities,” they won’t be with their families. They won’t be receiving hugs.

I hope it rains all week at Mar-a-Lago.

Creative note: This cartoon is the bookend to my Fourth of July Cartoon, https://claytoonz.com/2018/07/04/feliz-dia-de-la-independencia/. I’m not a huge fan of holiday cartoons and unless I draw one for The Costa Rica Star this week, this is my last Christmas cartoon of the year. I’ve managed to avoid any sitting on Santa’s lap cartoons or drawing the Grinch, who has been in more commercials than Shaq.

My cartoons have file dates and this one’s is the 25th (I’m ridiculously ahead and need to take a day off). Though my clients are not required to embargo the cartoons until their file date, I hope at least one of them runs this on Christmas day. Maybe instead of publishing some sentimental holiday crap, they can give their readers something to think about.

cjones12252018.jpg