Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

LOTTASCAMMA U
https://claytoonz.com/2019/03/13/lottascamma-u/

If you’re the cynical type who believes students have a much greater chance of attending elite universities, like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, USC, or UCLA if they’re rich, well connected and white, you’re right.

Sure. Studying hard, scoring well on your SATs, and avoiding the keggers is all well and good, but it also helps if your daddy donates $2.5 million to Harvard, like Jared Kushner’s daddy. That’s the legal way to bribe your kid into a school.

Another way is to pay up to six and seven figures for bogus SAT scores and athletic profiles and bribe standardized test administrators and college coaches. As it turns out, some parents bribed coaches of upper-class sports like crew, sailing and water polo, even staging photos of the applicants playing various sports they’ve never played before. Hell, most students don’t even know what crew is. I don’t.

Fifty people were charged Tuesday in a college admissions conspiracy to get rich kids into elite universities. Prosecutors say parents paid William “Rick” Singer to cheat the system.

Some of the people charged for the scheme included a tennis coach who made $950,000 promoting several students as potential tennis recruits for Georgetown, a USC parent who is a craft bourbon distillery, another USC parent who is a Silicon Valley investor who has worked with Bono and the founder of Netflix, an individual who test entrance exams for students, and actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman.

Lori Loughlin played Aunt Becky on Full House, which I learned yesterday. I never watched Full House. I swear. She and her husband, designer Mossimo Giannulli were both charged. They allegedly paid $500,000 to have their 2 daughters designated as recruits for the crew team at USC…despite the fact they did not actually participate in crew. Prosecutors say Mossimo sent action photos of their daughters on rowing machines. That’s what crew is? Their daughter previously posted a video on YouTube where she said she didn’t really care about school and was most excited about partying and game days (probably not crew game days).

Felicity Huffman is an Oscar nominee who was on Desperate Housewives. Apparently, she was desperate to get her kid into UCLA. She’s married to William H. Macy, who was not charged. I know who he is.

Huffman once tweeted, “What are your best ‘hacks’ for the back-to-school season?” Loughlin had tweeted in the past, “My kids will love this fun fact! UberFacts: Research shows homework has no academic value and students are usually given too much.” Who needs to actually do homework when the parents pay someone to take their entrance exams for them?

Investigators uncovered about $25 million in bribes, which most of the kids didn’t know anything about. They actually thought they were that smart. Not sure if they understood they really weren’t doing that crew thing. Was Jared or the Trump kids on a crew team?

These are not victimless crimes. For each spot taken by a snotnosed, spoiled, entitled dumbass with millionaire parents, a student who actually worked and deserved it was denied. The system already works against students who are not privileged, especially minority students. A conspiracy of bribes that benefits trust fund babies makes it all more revolting.

Jared Kushner probably didn’t belong at Harvard any more than he belongs in the White House, where he was appointed by his father-in-law. The Huffman and Loughlin kids shouldn’t be in USC and instead should be attending Los Angeles City College.

As for the rest of them, does Trump University have a crew team?

cjones03162019.jpg

Paul J. Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman, has been charged in New York with mortgage fraud and more than a dozen other state felonies, the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., said Wednesday, an effort to ensure he will still face prison time if Mr. Trump pardons him for his federal crimes.

News of the indictment came shortly after Mr. Manafort was sentenced to his second federal prison term in two weeks; he now faces a combined sentence of more than seven years for tax and bank fraud and conspiracy in two related cases brought by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

The president has broad power to issue pardons for federal crimes, but has no such authority in state cases.

The new state charges against Mr. Manafort are contained in a 16-count indictment that alleges a yearlong scheme in which he falsified business records to obtain millions of dollars in loans, Mr. Vance said in a news release after the federal sentencing.

“No one is beyond the law in New York,” he said, adding that the investigation by the prosecutors in his office had “yielded serious criminal charges for which the defendant has not been held accountable.”

The indictment grew out of an investigation that began in 2017, when the Manhattan prosecutors began examining loans Mr. Manafort received from two banks.

Last week, a grand jury hearing evidence in the case voted to charge Mr. Manafort with residential mortgage fraud, conspiracy, falsifying business records and other charges. A lawyer for Mr. Manafort could not immediately be reached for comment.

Paul J. Manafort, President Trump’s former campaign chairman, has been charged in New York with mortgage fraud and more than a dozen other state felonies, the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., said Wednesday, an effort to ensure he will still face prison time if Mr. Trump pardons him for his federal crimes.

News of the indictment came shortly after Mr. Manafort was sentenced to his second federal prison term in two weeks; he now faces a combined sentence of more than seven years for tax and bank fraud and conspiracy in two related cases brought by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III.

The president has broad power to issue pardons for federal crimes, but has no such authority in state cases.

The new state charges against Mr. Manafort are contained in a 16-count indictment that alleges a yearlong scheme in which he falsified business records to obtain millions of dollars in loans, Mr. Vance said in a news release after the federal sentencing.

“No one is beyond the law in New York,” he said, adding that the investigation by the prosecutors in his office had “yielded serious criminal charges for which the defendant has not been held accountable.”

The indictment grew out of an investigation that began in 2017, when the Manhattan prosecutors began examining loans Mr. Manafort received from two banks.

Last week, a grand jury hearing evidence in the case voted to charge Mr. Manafort with residential mortgage fraud, conspiracy, falsifying business records and other charges. A lawyer for Mr. Manafort could not immediately be reached for comment.

Includes Indictment ...

Washington (CNN)An attorney who said he was speaking with President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani reassured Michael Cohen in an April 2018 email that Cohen could "sleep well tonight" because he had "friends in high places," according to a copy of an email obtained by CNN.

Two emails -- both dated April 21, 2018, and among documents provided to Congress by the President's former attorney and fixer -- do not specifically mention a pardon. Cohen, in his closed-door congressional testimony, has provided these emails in an effort to corroborate his claim that a pardon was dangled before he decided to cooperate with federal prosecutors, according to sources familiar with his testimony.

But the attorney who wrote those emails, Robert Costello, told CNN that Cohen's interpretation of events is "utter nonsense." Costello said that Cohen asked him to raise the issue of a pardon with Giuliani.

"Does dangled mean that he (Cohen) raised it and I mentioned it to Giuliani, and Giuliani said the President is not going to discuss pardons with anybody? If that's dangling it, that's dangling it for about 15 seconds," said Costello, who has a four-decade long relationship with Giuliani and was exploring potentially representing Cohen. "The first time I kind of danced around the issue because Michael brought it up with me and I told him, 'Look, this is way too premature. ... But if you want me to bring it up, I will bring it up.' And I did."

A source with knowledge of Cohen's thinking at the time disputes Costello's version of events and insists it was Costello who was pushing his relationship with Giuliani. Another source familiar with the emails said that Trump's legal team was trying to keep Cohen in the fold as a way to keep him quiet, hinting that a pardon could be in the mix at some point.

But Trump's team says it was Cohen and his lawyers who were bringing up a prospect of a pardon.

The two completely contradictory narratives come as congressional committees grapple with the issue of a pardon and Cohen, specifically who initiated the pardon conversations and how far they progressed. Cohen's testimony has sparked a full-blown fight with Republicans accusing Cohen of lying when he said he "never asked for, nor would I accept" a pardon from Trump.