Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

RACE WITH JARED
Race With Jared

In 2009, New York Post political cartoonist Sean Delonas drew a cartoon that made Vanity Fair write that he may be the “worst political cartoonist on the planet.” Obama had just signed a stimulus bill and Delonas drew a dead chimpanzee on the ground that was just gunned down by cops, who were saying, “They’ll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill.”

I didn’t have anything to do with that cartoon, but I knew it was racist.

In 2014, Boston Herald cartoonist Jerry Holbert, competing for Delonas’ title, drew a cartoon of someone crashing into the White House, sitting in Obama’s bathtub and asking the BLACK president, “Have you tried the new watermelon-flavored toothpaste?” Holbert denied ever knowing the connection but he caught serious flack for it, and his syndicate asked him to change the flavor in the text (which remained unchanged in the Herald).

In 2014, cartoonist Gary McCoy drew black protesters in Ferguson, Missouri stealing TVs, one with a sign saying, “No 60″ plasma TV, no peace.”

Glenn McCoy, Gary’s younger brother who competes with him over who can draw the largest purple lips on Obama (and also draws storyboards for the Despicable Me and Minions movies), drew a cartoon in 2017 comparing Betsy DeVos with Ruby Bridges, equating the protests DeVos was receiving to the racist attacks Ruby Bridges was receiving for being the first black child to enter an all-white school.

Do I really have to say it again?

While I don’t draw cartoons for the troglodyte audience, I am a political cartoonist. I’m in the same profession as the cartoonists mentioned above. Even though we don’t think alike, I’m in their wheelhouse. While not being involved with their cartoons, I can recognize their racism. Jared Kushner has been involved with Donald Trump for years, marrying his daughter, working on his campaign, attending secret meetings in Trump Tower with Russians, lying on security clearance applications, and occupying an unpaid position he’s unqualified for in the White House. Donald Trump is in Kushner’s wheelhouse.

In a bizarre interview with Axios, Kushner demonstrated his incompetence several times.

Perhaps the most bizarre take was when Kushner defended Trump from accusations of racism, saying, “You can’t not be a racist for 69 years and then run for president and be a racist.” Kushner could be correct because there are several examples over the past 69 years of Donald Trump’s racism and then he was kinda sorta elected president. But, hey, this is America. While Trump didn’t win the popular vote, his racism was not a dealbreaker for 62 million Americans.

When asked about Trump’s birther campaign, the lie that Obama wasn’t born in the U.S.A., and instead was born in Kenya, Jared said he didn’t know it was racist because “I was not involved with that.” Obviously, racism is not a dealbreaker for Jared either. He repeated the line several times adding, “That was a long time ago.” 2015 wasn’t THAT long ago, Trust Fund Baby.

The interviewer should have asked Jared if his new immigration plan is racist. It’s the plan that favors immigrants from Europe over Central America and Africa. Jared designed it with the help of the White House’s very own Baby Goebbels, Stephen Miller. Jared should know if this is racist or not since he is definitely involved with it and it wasn’t designed “a long time ago.”

He could have also been asked about Trump’s plans for the 2020 census that adds a question that will suppress participation by nonwhite people and, therefore, artificially increase white (and Republican) power in a new round of gerrymandering, which the GOP is foaming at the mouth for since the majority of Americans don’t vote for them anymore.

The administration argued to the public, the lower courts and the Supreme Court that the disadvantage to nonwhite Americans was statistically questionable and that the Justice Department needed the change to enforce the Voting Rights Act. That’s almost as bad as comparing Betsy Devos to Ruby Bridges.

Donald Trump is a racist and he’s stocked his White House with incompetent people, often through nepotism, with other racists. Or at the very least, if they’re not racists, racism is not a dealbreaker for them.

If you work for Donald Trump, support him, or voted for him, racism wasn’t a dealbreaker for you either. At some point, when racism stops being a dealbreaker for you, then you’re not just fine with racism too. You yourself have also become a racist.

Somewhere, there’s a white sheet with Jared’s name on it.

cjones06072019.jpg

The outlines of a potential civilian prosecution of a former president Trump are already emerging. While there are reports of tax dodges, illegal campaign contributions, and improper foreign contributions to his inaugural committee—among other things—investigations into those claims are ongoing. There is, however, an overwhelming case that the president engaged in obstruction of justice—his effort to stop the special counsel’s office from probing his campaign’s ties to Russia.

In the second volume of his 448-page report, Mueller sets forth evidence of obstruction of justice that any competent federal prosecutor could use to draft an indictment. And Mueller made it clear himself that his detailed report was intended, in part, to “preserve the evidence” because “a President does not have immunity after he leaves office.”

Although it’s impossible to know exactly what a prosecution of Citizen Trump would look like, or who would conduct it, it’s already possible to project some paths a likely prosecution would take. In the eyes of a seasoned former federal prosecutor looking only at the evidence we have so far, here are the likely routes—and what Trump has to worry about next.

President Trump sat down for an interview with Piers Morgan of “Good Morning Britain” at the conclusion of his trip to London. Here’s a roundup of some of the president’s false and misleading claims during the discussion, one which he repeated a few hours later in Ireland.

“The United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are, based on all statistics, and it’s even getting better.”

— Interview with Morgan

“We have the cleanest air in the world, in the United States, and it’s gotten better since I’m President. We have the cleanest water; it’s crystal clean.”

— Remarks with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar

“You’re talking about Vietnam, and at that time, nobody ever heard of the country.”

— interview with Morgan

In justifying his decision not to serve in Vietnam — a conflict waged two-thirds by volunteers and one-third by draftees — Trump makes the astonishing assertion that nobody had ever heard of Vietnam in 1968, when he received a possibly fraudulent diagnosis of having bone spurs to obtain a medical exemption.

Calls for President Trump’s impeachment are getting louder. Since the release of Robert Mueller’s report, White House stonewalling of congressional subpoenas and Mr. Mueller’s first public comments, almost 60 House Democrats, a quarter of the caucus, have said they support an impeachment inquiry.

If Democrats do move to impeach Mr. Trump, the articles of impeachment drafted against past presidents will probably guide them. The Constitution leaves “high crimes and misdemeanors,” the term that describes impeachable offenses, vague, notes the historian Timothy Naftali, a co-writer of a recent book on impeachment. “So if you are doing your constitutional duty as an elected member of Congress, how do you define high crimes and misdemeanors?” he asked. “One of the ways you do it is by looking at past practice.”

What might impeachment articles against Mr. Trump look like? To find out, we reviewed the articles of impeachment drawn up against Richard Nixon in 1974 and https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/articles122098.htm (Bill Clinton) in 1998. Then we edited them — by removing and adding passages — to match the president’s conduct as described in the Mueller report and elsewhere.

Impeachment is often said to be a political process. But when you assess Mr. Trump’s conduct by the bar for impeachment set by past Democratic and Republican lawmakers for past presidents of both parties, the results are striking. The pathway to a possible Trump impeachment is already mapped out in these historical documents.

Calls for President Trump’s impeachment are getting louder. Since the release of Robert Mueller’s report, White House stonewalling of congressional subpoenas and Mr. Mueller’s first public comments, almost 60 House Democrats, a quarter of the caucus, have said they support an impeachment inquiry.

If Democrats do move to impeach Mr. Trump, the articles of impeachment drafted against past presidents will probably guide them. The Constitution leaves “high crimes and misdemeanors,” the term that describes impeachable offenses, vague, notes the historian Timothy Naftali, a co-writer of a recent book on impeachment. “So if you are doing your constitutional duty as an elected member of Congress, how do you define high crimes and misdemeanors?” he asked. “One of the ways you do it is by looking at past practice.”

What might impeachment articles against Mr. Trump look like? To find out, we reviewed the articles of impeachment drawn up against Richard Nixon in 1974 and https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/articles122098.htm (Bill Clinton) in 1998. Then we edited them — by removing and adding passages — to match the president’s conduct as described in the Mueller report and elsewhere.

Impeachment is often said to be a political process. But when you assess Mr. Trump’s conduct by the bar for impeachment set by past Democratic and Republican lawmakers for past presidents of both parties, the results are striking. The pathway to a possible Trump impeachment is already mapped out in these historical documents.