Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

“I am fearful when I watch the slow chiseling away of civil rights, tolerance, compassion and acceptance. I am saddened when I see this country’s pride in being a nation built on the belief, trust and hard work of immigrants challenged by the rhetoric of racism … After all, I have personal experience with the rise of the most shameful event of the 20th century.”

These words from Bernard Marks, published in The Sacramento Bee in 2017, resonated with me as I grappled with how to respond to the Trump administration’s increasingly vicious attacks on Latinos.

The latest outrages:

▪ Imprisoned children deprived of toothbrushes and beds, left to linger in their own waste

▪ Threats of mass raids and deportations

▪ A shocking photograph of the bodies of Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his baby daughter, Valeria, clinging together after they drowned in the Rio Grande

Marks, a Sacramento man who survived the Holocaust, died in December at 89. He spent his final years speaking out with fierce moral clarity against a resurgence of the same hate and authoritarian tactics that preceded his imprisonment in Auschwitz and Dachau.

As debate raged over Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s use of the term “concentration camp,” I remembered Marks’ words.

Nothing in modern times compares to the Holocaust, but the term concentration camp predates it by decades. One Cambridge Dictionary definition for the term is “a place where large numbers of people are kept as prisoners in extremely bad conditions, especially for political reasons.”

This describes what’s happening in a Texas camp where “a chaotic scene of sickness and filth” was unfolding, according to The New York Times.

Hmm. Funny thing - Jews were taken to concentration camps involuntarily. These people are coming here illegally and know the risks. Oh yeah, a lot of this went on under Obama. Where was the outrage?

WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE HINT HINT
Wink Wink Nudge Nudge Hint Hint

Donald Trump loves him some dictators and fascists. In fact, the highlights for him during this week’s G20 Summit in Osaka, Japan have been his dalliances with strongmen.

The U.S. government doesn’t want to sell any F-35 stealth jets to Turkey because that nation recently purchased a Russian missile system. The U.S. is concerned that using American jets with the Russian missile system will allow Moscow to gain intelligence on our aircraft. Turkey’s tyrant, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he believes Trump won’t block the sale of the jets because of their “warm relationship.” Trump seemed to agree and said he was “looking at different solutions.” That solution will be Russia getting its hands on our stealth technology. But at least there’s a warm relationship.

Trump decided to hold off on additional tariffs with China because he loves its president for life. He also said he’d allow U.S. companies to continue to sell equipment to Huawei, overruling the U.S. Commerce Department which had banned those sales to the Chinese company. The U.S. has been in a global campaign to block Huawei from 5G communication networks, calling the company a security threat. As we all know, Trump doesn’t concern himself with U.S. security. He is a security threat.

Trump is a guy who endangers national security by ignoring his own security experts when they tell him to swap to a new phone so China can’t hack him. Trump claims he knows more about technology than anyone, yet he can’t operate an umbrella.

After sitting with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who’s been accused of masterminding the murder of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Trump declared that no one has “pointed fingers” at the Crown Prince. That was a lie as U.S. intelligence has accused the Saudi royal of being involved in the murder. Trump believes the prince is innocent because when he asked him about the murder, he made a frowny face. Grr, murder bad. Sell us more U.S. weapon technology and we’ll continue to rent Trump Hotel rooms and buy Trump Tower apartments.

Before heading off to South Korea, Trump tweeted at North Korea’s dictator, Kim Jong Un that he’ll be at the DMZ later if he’d like to hook up. Since Kim is the only person in North Korea with internet, he may have seen the tweet, which was like saying you’ll be in a local hotel room in his neighborhood for two hours if he’d like to swing by for a nightcap.

Trump’s best groveling and selling out of the United States was saved for Russian president Vladimir Putin. While sitting next to Putin, Trump was asked by the press if he talked to the Russian about election meddling. Jokingly, Trump leaned over to Vladimir and said, “Oh, don’t meddle in our election,” and the dictator and the wannabe dictator shared a laugh. Trump repeated the betrayal of the U.S. in Osaka that he did in Helsinki when he said, “Putin denies it.” Whether it’s a Russian attacking our democratic process or an Alabama Republican stalking teenage girls at the mall, they’re innocent in Trump’s eyes if they simply deny it.

On the one-year anniversary of the shooting at the Capital Gazette newspaper in Maryland that left five dead, Trump joked with Putin about “fake news.” Trump told Putin to “get rid of them” as he asked if he also had “fake news.” Putin does “get rid of them,” fake or not.

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, 42 journalists have been killed in Russia since Putin came to power in 1999. Of those 42 journalists, 26 have been murdered (the rest accidentally walked off the roofs of buildings or ate something that didn’t agree with them). But Donald Trump, the President of the United States of America and the defender of freedom, was able to joke about “fake news” with a man who has journalists murdered.

The security of the United States, our democratic process, and our guaranteed freedoms, like the right to free speech, does not concern Donald Trump any more than it concerns his supporters. The people who scream loudest about American freedom are the first in line to convert us to a dictatorship.

Trump basically winked at Putin when he said, “don’t meddle in our election.” When all this is said and done, I hope our justice system doesn’t put Trump in prison…WINK, WINK. NUDGE, NUDGE. HINT, HINT.

Did I say that out loud?

cjones07032019.jpg