Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Nikki Haley has a warning for her fellow UN ambassadors ahead of a key vote on Jerusalem this week: Donald Trump is watching.

Still smarting from having to cast the first U.S. veto in the United Nations Security Council in six years on Monday, Haley is pressing other countries not to support a resolution in the larger General Assembly critical of President Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and move the American embassy there from Tel Aviv, according to four UN diplomats.

In a letter to some countries -- including key U.S. allies -- Haley warned that “the president will be watching this vote carefully and has requested I report back on those countries who voted against us. We will take note of each and every vote on this issue.” The letter was shared with Bloomberg News by one UN ambassador and confirmed by three others.

One diplomat said his country’s mission was told that its vote on the resolution, expected to pass the General Assembly by a wide margin, would be taken “personally” by Haley.

THE TRUTH IS STAYING OUT THERE
https://claytoonz.com/2017/12/20/the-truth-is-staying-out-there/

The Pentagon is getting their UFO on.

From the day Donald Trump came into office, I’ve told people that our government has never encountered or has proof aliens from another world has ever visited ours. If there were top government secrets about it Trump would have told us by now…or at least Vladimir Putin. A buddy of mine told me that’s not proof because, maybe smarter heads at the Pentagon wouldn’t tell Trump. That makes sense too. I’m sure there are some government secrets not told to presidents. And, if there was ever a president you don’t want to give classified information to then that president is big orange dumbass Tweeterdore.

As it turns out, maybe aliens don’t exist but that hasn’t stopped the Pentagon from having a secret program investigating UFOs.

It was initiated by then Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, from Nevada, in 2007. The military had announced way back in 1969 that UFOs were not worth studying, but that didn’t stop them from spending $22 million on a program. Then again, the Pentagon has been known to spend thousands on hammers and toilet seats.

The Department of Defense even released a video of a Navy Super Hornet encountering an unknown object that has been described as “defying physics.”

The department says they ended the program in 2012 but there are reports that it’s still in operation. So, a secret program that doesn’t exist anymore but if it does, it’s a secret once again.

I also told my friend that if there are aliens out there, then I hope they don’t land while Trump is president. Seriously, that’ll just make them turn around and go home or worse, give us the Alderan treatment to put us out of our misery.

If they do land and insist upon meeting our leader and we can’t find Angela Merkel or Justin Trudeau, then let’s take them to that animatronic Trump Disney just released. It is disturbing looking and probably scares children and small animals, but it resembles Jon Voight more than Donald Trump and it speaks in somewhat complete sentences without lying or its teeth falling out.

And, if Mueller can’t save us then maybe the aliens will take us with them.

For the record, I think it’s egocentric to believe we’re the only life in the universe but I don’t believe we’ve ever been visited. I also do not believe in the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, yetis, leprechauns, vampires, smurfs, fraggles, Santa Claus, God, chupacabras, or quality barbecue on the East coast. But then again, a little over a year ago I didn’t believe my fellow Americans would put an orange, racist, infantile, narcissistic dumbass in the White House.

DRfcitBVwAEdPew.jpg

BUT HIS EMAILS
https://claytoonz.com/2017/12/19/but-his-emails/

When a white cop shoots an unarmed black guy or a black child playing with a toy gun, we’re told it’s disrespectful to criticize the police. Cops work dangerous jobs and their lives are on the line on a daily basis, so how dare you question them. When a jury, prosecutor, or a grand jury lets one of these cops go, we’re told to trust the judicial system and this is how it’s supposed to work. So, don’t question or criticize law enforcement or the judicial system…unless they go after a white billionaire. Then they’re all corrupt Democrats who probably contributed to the Clinton Foundation.

Trump, his sycophants, Republicans in Congress, and the idiots at Fox News are publicly smearing the FBI and Special Counsel, Robert Mueller. They’re painting them as corrupt and engaging in a political witch hunt. Fox News has even called the investigation into Trump’s collusion with Russia a “coup.” I hope for Christmas someone sticks a dictionary into a stocking at Fox News. If there’s only one copy they can pass it around to each other. It won’t see much use.

White House informants (people who work there and secretly hate Trump) report that Trump has accused Rod Rosenstein, the Deputy Attorney General who appointed and oversees the Special Counsel, is a Democrat. In reality, he’s a Republican though he is from Maryland which probably makes Republicans suspicious.

Trump’s lawyers are also contributing to the propaganda that Robert Mueller, a Vietnam veteran and a Republican whose reputation has never been questioned until now, is a political hack trying to thwart the will of the American people, who praise and worship Donald Trump who has personally sacrificed to do so much for this nation.

I hope Trump’s judicial nominees aren’t an indication of the type of private legal counsel he’s hired that he doesn’t plan to pay for. They’ve told the president the Special Counsel’s investigation will wrap up by January (wrong) and that now Mueller’s office has broken the law by gaining access to the Trump transition team’s emails. Wrong again.

Mueller has been given access to tens of thousands of transition emails, as well as laptops, cellphones, and at least one iPad and other documents related to 13 transition officials. These were provided by the General Services Administration which was storing all the transition material.

Trump’s lawyers are arguing that this stuff doesn’t belong to the public, the GSA was not authorized to release them, and that a portion is covered by various privileges including attorney-client privilege. That’s almost as silly as Trump Jr. arguing his chit-chats between him and his daddy are subject to attorney-client privilege.

The GSA provided office space, computer systems, and emails to the transition team, which it has done for other transition teams in the past. They had an agreement that all the documents would be destroyed (why?) after the transition was complete, but the transition team asked them to archive the material after Congress made document requests last year. After Congress made the requests, destroying them may have been illegal.

However, transition officials signed other agreements that warn them material kept on government servers are subject to monitoring and auditing and there are no expectations of privacy.

None of this has prevented Trump’s team to complain to Congress and the public that Mueller is overreaching. Here’s the thing: If you are arguing a case and you have an issue with how the opposition has gathered evidence, you present an argument to the judge to dismiss the material. Trump’s lawyers will not do that. Why? Because after the judge laughs them out of court then they won’t be able to argue to the public about the travesty and injustice Mueller is hitting them with.

How many times have I written on this blog that conservatives have no sense of irony? Countless! This is another example.

Does no one on the Trump team see the irony and hypocrisy of Donald Trump complaining about investigators looking at his government email? This is the man who screamed “I love WikiLeaks” and publicly asked Russia to hack into Hillary Clinton’s email and release it to the press. You remember that “Russia, if you’re listening” shit.

Trump tells us “many people” are angry over this. Where are these angry people? I’ve heard more people express anger over The Last Jedi than over these transition emails. And, they’re all wrong. Emails ending in “.gov” are not private emails and The Last Jedi was freaking awesome.

Trump also keeps saying there’s no collusion. I’m sure there’s not, other than that time Donald Trump Jr., Jared, and Paul Manafort entertained Russians in Trump Tower, and Jared’s bank deals, and Junior’s coordination with WikiLeaks, and Michael Flynn, and Carter Page, and George Papadopoulos, and….well, you get the picture.

I hope Mueller keeps applying the pressure. I plan to and I’m sure I’ll be joined by the rest of my fellow rebel scum.

cjones12212017.jpg

The GOP has gone for broke. Let us count the ways.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2017/12/20/the-gop-has-gone-for-broke-let-us-count-the-ways/ (Opinion | The GOP has gone for broke. Let us count the ways.)

Well, they went and did it. Republicans went for broke in passing their tax “reform,” and got there.

Here’s a list of the things they broke.

1. Their promise to the middle class not to reward the rich.
2. Their promise to simplify the tax code.
3. The deficit. Increased by 1,000,000,000,000.00, give or take.
4. Their promise that deficits mattered to them. It used to be all they talked about.
5. The balance of power. The donor class has it all now.
6. The government. They do not even pretend to believe in the two-party system anymore.
7. The government, again. They short-circuited due process, hearings, and time to read and debate legislation.
8. The government, in requiem. Their plan to defund it has crossed a critical watershed. Watch out, Social Security!
9. Health care. They have removed a key pillar of universal health coverage10.
10. Their promise not to capitulate to Trump madness.

No doubt this list is incomplete, but not a bad day’s work, unless you understand the word “bad” to mean: bad.

The Republican Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is notably generous to corporations, high earners, inheritors of large estates and the owners of private jets. Taken as a whole, the bill will add about $1.4 trillion to the deficit in the next decade and trigger automatic cuts to Medicare and other safety net programs unless Congress steps in to stop them.

To most observers on the left, the Republican tax bill looks like sheer mercenary cupidity. “This is a brazen expression of money power,” https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/jackson-the-american-plutocracy-gets-its-immoral-tax-bill/, “an example of American plutocracy — a government of the wealthy, by the wealthy, for the wealthy.”

Mr. Jackson is right to worry about the wealthy lording it over the rest of us, but the open contempt for democracy displayed in the Senate’s slapdash rush to pass the tax bill ought to trouble us as much as, if not more than, what’s in it.

In its great haste, the “world’s greatest deliberative body” held no hearings or debate on tax reform. The Senate’s Republicans made sloppy math mistakes, crossed out and rewrote whole sections of the bill by hand at the 11th hour and forced a vote on it before anyone could conceivably read it.

The link between the heedlessly negligent style and anti-redistributive substance of recent Republican lawmaking is easy to overlook. The key is the libertarian idea, woven into the right’s ideological DNA, that redistribution is the exploitation of the “makers” by the “takers.” It immediately follows that democracy, which enables and legitimizes this exploitation, is itself an engine of injustice. As the novelist Ayn Rand put it, under democracy “one’s work, one’s property, one’s mind, and one’s life are at the mercy of any gang that may muster the vote of a majority.”

But the clock is ticking. Looking ahead to a potentially paralyzing presidential scandal, midterm blood bath or both, congressional Republicans are in a mad dash to emancipate us from the welfare state. As they see it, the redistributive upshot of democracy is responsible for the big-government mess they’re trying to bail us out of, so they’re not about to be tender with the niceties of democratic deliberation and regular parliamentary order.

The idea that there is an inherent conflict between democracy and the integrity of property rights is as old as democracy itself. Because the poor vastly outnumber the propertied rich — so the argument goes — if allowed to vote, the poor might gang up at the ballot box to wipe out the wealthy.

Democracy is fundamentally about protecting the middle and lower classes from redistribution by establishing the equality of basic rights that makes it possible for everyone to be a capitalist. Democracy doesn’t strangle the golden goose of free enterprise through redistributive taxation; it fattens the goose by releasing the talent, ingenuity and effort of otherwise abused and exploited people.

At a time when America’s faith in democracy is flagging, the Republicans elected to treat the United States Senate, and the citizens it represents, with all the respect college guys accord public restrooms. It’s easier to reverse a bad piece of legislation than the bad reputation of our representative institutions, which is why the way the tax bill was passed is probably worse than what’s in it. Ultimately, it’s the integrity of democratic institutions and the rule of law that gives ordinary people the power to protect themselves against elite exploitation. But the Republican majority is bulldozing through basic democratic norms as though freedom has everything to do with the tax code and democracy just gets in the way.

There are some big question marks here. 1) It's not clear whether WH counsel informed Trump of possible lying; he may only have informed him of possible Logan Act violation. 2) Another source says it's inaccurate to say Trump was briefed before Flynn was fired.

The White House turned over records this fall to special counsel Robert Mueller revealing that in the very first days of the Trump presidency, Don McGahn researched federal law dealing both with lying to federal investigators and with violations of the Logan Act, a centuries-old federal law that prohibits private citizens from negotiating with foreign governments, according to three people with direct knowledge of the confidential government documents.

The records reflected concerns that McGahn, the White House counsel, had that Michael Flynn, then the president’s national security advisor, had possibly violated either one or both laws at the time, according to two of the sources. The disclosure that these records exist and that they are in the possession of the special counsel could bolster any potential obstruction of justice case against President Donald Trump.

The records that McGahn turned over to the special counsel, portions of which were read to this reporter, indicate he researched both statutes and warned Trump about Flynn’s possible violations.

McGahn conducted the analysis shortly after learning that Flynn, on Dec. 29, 2016 — while Barack Obama was still president — had counseled the Russian ambassador to the United States at the time, Sergey Kislyak, not to retaliate against U.S. economic sanctions imposed against Russia by the outgoing administration.

McGahn believed that Flynn, and possibly anyone who authorized or approved of such contacts, would be in potential violation of the Logan Act, according to two of the sources, both of whom work in the administration.

The White House and the special counsel’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

There are some big question marks here. 1) It's not clear whether WH counsel informed Trump of possible lying; he may only have informed him of possible Logan Act violation. 2) Another source says it's inaccurate to say Trump was briefed before Flynn was fired.

The White House turned over records this fall to special counsel Robert Mueller revealing that in the very first days of the Trump presidency, Don McGahn researched federal law dealing both with lying to federal investigators and with violations of the Logan Act, a centuries-old federal law that prohibits private citizens from negotiating with foreign governments, according to three people with direct knowledge of the confidential government documents.

The records reflected concerns that McGahn, the White House counsel, had that Michael Flynn, then the president’s national security advisor, had possibly violated either one or both laws at the time, according to two of the sources. The disclosure that these records exist and that they are in the possession of the special counsel could bolster any potential obstruction of justice case against President Donald Trump.

The records that McGahn turned over to the special counsel, portions of which were read to this reporter, indicate he researched both statutes and warned Trump about Flynn’s possible violations.

McGahn conducted the analysis shortly after learning that Flynn, on Dec. 29, 2016 — while Barack Obama was still president — had counseled the Russian ambassador to the United States at the time, Sergey Kislyak, not to retaliate against U.S. economic sanctions imposed against Russia by the outgoing administration.

McGahn believed that Flynn, and possibly anyone who authorized or approved of such contacts, would be in potential violation of the Logan Act, according to two of the sources, both of whom work in the administration.

The White House and the special counsel’s office did not respond to a request for comment.