Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

A generation ago, Republicans sought to protect President Richard Nixon by urging the Senate Watergate committee to look at supposed wrongdoing by Democrats in previous elections. The committee chairman, Sam Ervin, a Democrat, said that would be “as foolish as the man who went bear hunting and stopped to chase rabbits.”

Today, amid a growing criminal inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, congressional Republicans are again chasing rabbits. We know because we’re their favorite quarry.

In the year since the publication of the so-called Steele dossier — the collection of intelligence reports we commissioned about Donald Trump’s ties to Russia — the president has repeatedly attacked us on Twitter. His allies in Congress have dug through our bank records and sought to tarnish our firm to punish us for highlighting his links to Russia. Conservative news outlets and even our former employer, The Wall Street Journal, have spun a succession of mendacious conspiracy theories about our motives and backers.

We are happy to correct the record. In fact, we already have.

Three congressional committees have heard over 21 hours of testimony from our firm, Fusion GPS. In those sessions, we toppled the far right’s conspiracy theories and explained how The Washington Free Beacon and the Clinton campaign — the Republican and Democratic funders of our Trump research — separately came to hire us in the first place.

We walked investigators through our yearlong effort to decipher Mr. Trump’s complex business past, of which the Steele dossier is but one chapter. And we handed over our relevant bank records — while drawing the line at a fishing expedition for the records of companies we work for that have nothing to do with the Trump case.

Republicans have refused to release full transcripts of our firm’s testimony, even as they selectively leak details to media outlets on the far right. It’s time to share what our company told investigators.

TEENY WEENIE TWEETY DIPLOMACY
https://claytoonz.com/2018/01/03/teeny-weenie-tweety-diplomacy/

I was all set to draw a cartoon about the protests in Iran. I was looking forward to starting a streak of drawing cartoons that didn’t feature Donald Trump. Drawing two cartoons in a row without him is an accomplishment considering Trump weeks are kinda like dog years. I do get tired of the guy.

Then, yesterday morning Trump tweeted that Huma Abedin, an aide to Hillary Clinton (He misspelled “aide”) should go to prison, something about sailor pictures on submarines, the “deep state” Justice Department, and mentioned James Comey. Yes, all in one tweet. I think the entire world gave a collective “huh?” Covfefe was less confusing.

But, That didn’t trigger me to draw a cartoon about the guy. The person it should trigger is the Attorney General, Jeff Sessions. Sessions should exhibit independence and backbone, rip the president a new one, and defend his department and the career professionals from a right-wing conspiracy theory so stupid that it’s the equivalent of birtherism, pizzagate, and chemtrails.

Then, Trump tweeted that companies are giving “big bonuses” to their workers because of his tax cut. Of course the list of those companies does not include the Trump Organization.

The Twitter spree continued with a boast of how there were no commercial aviation deaths because of his “strict” policies on the industry. He said it was the “best and safest” year on record. Never mind the fact there hasn’t been any deaths in commercial aviation since 2010. Some people got beat up and dragged off planes last year, but no deaths. You’d think there would have been at least one heart attack on a private plane from someone eating nothing but Big Macs and KFC.

He also tweeted another attack at the “failing” New York Times and how they treat the president unfairly. This was just another rehash of his usual shtick.

He tweeted about Democrats and DACA. He claimed they were doing nothing for DACA, the program he’s trying to end.

He boasted about taking Jerusalem “off the negotiation table.” Yes, the best negotiator in the world took it off the table, and us out of the peace process. Good job.

Then, he posted a tweet that got me excited. He’s promising to announce “the Most Dishonest & Corrupt Media Awards Of The Year” next Monday. I really hope it includes a category for political cartoonists.

None of that ignited a need for a political cartoon. They were just his usual nonsense. It’s not like he was goading North Korea to fire a nuclear weapon, start World War III, trash the peace overture Kim Jong Un made to the South, and did it all with a poorly-veiled reference to the size of his penis.

And then, Trump goaded North Korea to fire a nuclear weapon, start World War III, trash the peace overture, and he did it while making a reference to his penis. Seriously. His penis.

Trump tweeted, “North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the ‘Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.’ Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!”

First off, we don’t know if your “button” works, and we don’t wanna know. We don’t even want to think about it. La-la-la-la! Some of us would like to eat again.

I’ve heard pundits question if Trump would actually start a nuclear war to distract us from the Russia investigation. Some people believe he wants to push that button. Others believe he’s just boasting, as if the world doesn’t know we have the largest nuclear arsenal and military on the planet. My belief is, he doesn’t think that far ahead or about anyone else. Donald Trump is selfish and he will put his own feelings, personal interests, his wallet, and his fragile ego before the safety and security of entire nations.

Hillary Clinton told us we shouldn’t trust the nuclear codes with a guy who is triggered by a tweet. She was right.

We know he’s immature, narcissistic, and not capable of being presidential. He’s proven that way before that stupid tweet. What shouldn’t be questioned anymore is his mental stability.

Trump voters should carry a heavy burdensome guilt for inflicting the Trump presidency upon us. It should have started on his first day when he sent Sean Spicer out to lie to the American public about crowd sizes. It should have intensified when his response to a terrorist attack in London was to attack that city’s mayor. Starting a feud with the mayor of San Juan after Puerto Rico was struck by a hurricane and a war widow after her husband’s death should have put them over the edge. Defending Nazis and endorsing a pedophile definitely should have sealed the deal. But, starting a nuclear conflict is something they can’t practice their sycophancy with.

If a war starts, Donald Trump’s cabinet should be shamed for not exercising their responsibility by removing a madman from office and away from that nuclear button. They should be convening at this very moment to remove Trump and send his orange ass back to Trump Tower where he’ll be free to embellish and perpetuate “alternative facts” and conspiracy theories to his heart’s delight. He can waste all the time he wants on his “dishonest media awards.” The lives of people in four nations depends on it.

Sure, that’ll leave us with the world’s biggest ass kisser as president, but Mueller will probably nail him too.

Utah Senator Orrin Hatch announced his retirement yesterday. After the tax cut vote, Hatch said Trump’s presidency may be the best ever, and he didn’t even smirk while saying it. Obviously, Orrin is retiring at the right time and belongs in a special home. Trump should join him.

cjones01042018.jpg

I did something I’ve never done before. I scribbled some notes on a page from one of Harold’s yellow legal pads because I was waiting for a taxi to go to Mass, and too lazy to go upstairs.

I took all the leftover pads when Harold died on Christmas Eve 2008, and for sentimental reasons kept them. Although up till now, I have never written anything on any of them. But about a month ago, I installed one in a writing case in the drawing room in theory for occasional use, but really out of tenderness for the past.

When I had written the note, I stripped off the yellow page. Then I nearly fainted. Beneath lay Harold’s unforgettable handwriting – although rather frail – and a title: “The Pres and the Officer”.

Six pages followed, his handwriting getting noticeably stronger. Now the unbelievability of it all increased. Because I could have been reading something written today, written by Harold about Trump. This was a morning when nuclear war, or something like it, appeared to be threatened by Trump on the 8am news.

Everything was pure Harold, including the cutting of the last line (still visible beneath the line).

“What would Harold have thought of Trump?” People are always asking me that question. Now we know. As it were.

A.F.

The Pres and an Officer

by Harold Pinter

Pres. ruminating. Officer reading Washington Post.
P OK. Get me Strategic Air Command.
O Yes. Mr P. Anyone in particular?
P Who do you think?
O Well, I –
P The Commander. The Commander.
O Yes Sir.

Dials
O Commander? The President of the United States.
P Hi there – who’s this? Yes, I know you’re the Commander, but which one? Do I know you?

Voice
Charley! Of course I know you, Charlie.
How you doing?

Voice
Good. Good. And the folks?

Voice
Great. That’s good news. Now hear this. This is a Presidential Command and I want it deployed forthwith. Get me? Nuke London.

Silence. Voice.
That’s right. London. That’s right.
London. Straightaway.

Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon has described the Trump Tower meeting between the president’s son and a group of Russians during the 2016 election campaign as “treasonous” and “unpatriotic”, according to an explosive new book seen by the Guardian.

Bannon, speaking to author Michael Wolff, warned that the investigation into alleged collusion with the Kremlin will focus on money laundering and predicted: “They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV.”

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, reportedly based on more than 200 interviews with the president, his inner circle and players in and around the administration, is one of the most eagerly awaited political books of the year. In it, Wolff lifts the lid on a White House lurching from crisis to crisis amid internecine warfare, with even some of Trump’s closest allies expressing contempt for him.

Bannon, who was chief executive of the Trump campaign in its final three months, then White House chief strategist for seven months before returning to the rightwing Breitbart News, is a central figure in the nasty, cutthroat drama, quoted extensively, often in salty language.

He is particularly scathing about a June 2016 meeting involving Trump’s son Donald Jr, son-in-law Jared Kushner, then campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya at Trump Tower in New York. A trusted intermediary had promised documents that would “incriminate” rival Hillary Clinton but instead of alerting the FBI to a potential assault on American democracy by a foreign power, Trump Jr replied in an email: “I love it.”

The meeting was revealed by the New York Times in July last year, prompting Trump Jr to say no consequential material was produced. Soon after, Wolff writes, Bannon remarked mockingly: “The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor – with no lawyers. They didn’t have any lawyers.

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad shit, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”

Last edited:

Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon has described the Trump Tower meeting between the president’s son and a group of Russians during the 2016 election campaign as “treasonous” and “unpatriotic”, according to an explosive new book seen by the Guardian.

Bannon, speaking to author Michael Wolff, warned that the investigation into alleged collusion with the Kremlin will focus on money laundering and predicted: “They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV.”

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, reportedly based on more than 200 interviews with the president, his inner circle and players in and around the administration, is one of the most eagerly awaited political books of the year. In it, Wolff lifts the lid on a White House lurching from crisis to crisis amid internecine warfare, with even some of Trump’s closest allies expressing contempt for him.

Bannon, who was chief executive of the Trump campaign in its final three months, then White House chief strategist for seven months before returning to the rightwing Breitbart News, is a central figure in the nasty, cutthroat drama, quoted extensively, often in salty language.

He is particularly scathing about a June 2016 meeting involving Trump’s son Donald Jr, son-in-law Jared Kushner, then campaign chairman Paul Manafort and Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya at Trump Tower in New York. A trusted intermediary had promised documents that would “incriminate” rival Hillary Clinton but instead of alerting the FBI to a potential assault on American democracy by a foreign power, Trump Jr replied in an email: “I love it.”

The meeting was revealed by the New York Times in July last year, prompting Trump Jr to say no consequential material was produced. Soon after, Wolff writes, Bannon remarked mockingly: “The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor – with no lawyers. They didn’t have any lawyers.

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad shit, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”

Bannon has criticised Trump’s decision to fire Comey. In Wolff’s book, obtained by the Guardian ahead of publication from a bookseller in New England, he suggests White House hopes for a quick end to the Mueller investigation are gravely misplaced.

“You realise where this is going,” he is quoted as saying. “This is all about money laundering. Mueller chose [senior prosecutor Andrew] Weissmann first and he is a money-laundering guy. Their path to fucking Trump goes right through Paul Manafort, Don Jr and Jared Kushner … It’s as plain as a hair on your face.”

Last month it was reported that federal prosecutors had subpoenaed records from Deutsche Bank, the German financial institution that has lent hundreds of millions of dollars to the Kushner property empire. Bannon continues: “It goes through Deutsche Bank and all the Kushner shit. The Kushner shit is greasy. They’re going to go right through that. They’re going to roll those two guys up and say play me or trade me.”

Scorning apparent White House insouciance, Bannon reaches for a hurricane metaphor: “They’re sitting on a beach trying to stop a Category Five.”

Last edited: