Turned away from Red Cross supposedly High BP

Plate Smacker

Went to donate, last time was 6 months ago. Same problem as usual. They can't get a good reading on my Blood Pressure. I always run into issues with people using One Size Fits All cuffs.
Even at my docs office, the initial person taking my vital signs gets blood pressure reading of 150/106. Way off. Then the doctor comes in and I notice he does a very slow release of pressure, taking far longer than other nurses, and he gets an accurate reading.

Today I measured with my Omron BP7450 that is synced to my phone via app for tracking. 10 minutes before I arrived. 135/75.
I get to red cross, seen younger staff and new there would be an issue. My hemoglobin good at 17, blood pressure 155/102. I inform them that typically that cuff won't work on my muscular arm.

Showed them my tracking app. And the response was... "we don't trust those electronic ones, they aren't accurate.".
Wait 5 minutes, pressure was 145/101
Can't donate. Turned away.

Got home, 5 minute drive.
Blood pressure measured 138/73.

The staff usually let me donate because cut-off is 180/100. This time they were way off.

Anybody else have this issue?

What a bunch of assholes. Guy at my gym went to donate and they went into a frenzy trying to take his BP and finally found the XXL cuff for him completely covered in dust and archaic and he's just like what the f* I take my BP everyday and they took his blood then,

You have to tell them you need the big boy cuff. My arm is 20”, bro, I don’t even pick up my arm until they change the cuff.

I hate getting my BP checked anywhere. A lot of these people don’t know wtf they’re doing.

The nurses and assistants have me walk100ft to the area and then take my measurement the exact second I sit down. Then 90% of the time, they’re talking to me and asking me questions while it’s still going. And of course it comes back high every time.

For anyone new to monitoring BP that scrolls past this- Sit down with good posture. Both feet on the floor. Stop talking and jerkin around. Just CHILL for 5+ minutes. That’s your baseline. Not mid-conversation with a foot bouncing up and down.

I tell them up front i have white coat syndrome, its going to be a tad high. And they say they can litterally hear my bp rise as time goes on then taking it…

Tell them this….

Went to donate, last time was 6 months ago. Same problem as usual. They can't get a good reading on my Blood Pressure. I always run into issues with people using One Size Fits All cuffs.
Even at my docs office, the initial person taking my vital signs gets blood pressure reading of 150/106. Way off. Then the doctor comes in and I notice he does a very slow release of pressure, taking far longer than other nurses, and he gets an accurate reading.

Today I measured with my Omron BP7450 that is synced to my phone via app for tracking. 10 minutes before I arrived. 135/75.
I get to red cross, seen younger staff and new there would be an issue. My hemoglobin good at 17, blood pressure 155/102. I inform them that typically that cuff won't work on my muscular arm.

Showed them my tracking app. And the response was... "we don't trust those electronic ones, they aren't accurate.".
Wait 5 minutes, pressure was 145/101
Can't donate. Turned away.

Got home, 5 minute drive.
Blood pressure measured 138/73.

The staff usually let me donate because cut-off is 180/100. This time they were way off.

Anybody else have this issue?
Bring your home meter with appropriate cuff. Help educate a younger person at the RC on the daily discrimination / persecution of the HUGE and SHREDDED.

Are you planning on doing anything with those home BP measurements? What's your thoughts on those readings?

Does anyone know of a good electronic BP machine that has a large enough cuff? Always getting false readings with mine with 18” pump arms.

Only way I ever get a good read is with a manual cuff now.

Does anyone know of a good electronic BP machine that has a large enough cuff? Always getting false readings with mine with 18” pump arms.

Get a machine with cuffs that switch out.

Get those guns the right cuff...

XXL Blood Pressure Cuff Compatible with Omron 9”-24” (22-60CM), Extra Large BP Repacement Cuff for Big Arms - Includes 6 Connectors
https://a.co/d/cwuOxRu
Applicable Models : Almost all models BP monitors on the market such as BP5100、BP5250、BP5450、BP5350、BP7250、BP7350、BP7100、BP710N、BP7900、BP7450、BP742N、BP7200、BP785N、BP786、BP786N、BP785、BP755-CD6、BP760、BP760N、BP761、BP761N、BP762-CD6、BP785SC-CD6、BP790ITN、BP791IT、BP792IT、HEM-711DLX、HEM-773AC、HEM-790IT etc.
Ensure you have the right cuff and fitting properly.

Example meter:
OMRON BP742N 5 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor Amazon.com

Last edited:

I've been using this for ages, I think they manafacture for " Life source" as the older Life source looks identical to the A&D. I bought mine on Amazon.ca
Blows up quick and gives very accurate readings in about 20-30 seconds. Life source is much better than Omron with my experiences over 15 years.

A&D XL for Max 23.5 inch arms Here on Amazon : XL Blood Pressure on Amazon.ca

Last edited:
I hate when they turn people away, especially when these blood donation companies claim “there’s a major blood shortage” etc etc, they will also refuse you if your heartbeat is over 100bpm my trick for this is to get a ice pack and keep it on your heart/chest when you’re on the way to the donation center and have a “super cold” bottle of water with you.

Take the ice pack off and chug the entire bottle of cold water before getting out of your car to walk in and you should be able to pass

I have tattoos and they seem outright insulted when I went to donate.
i dont get it man of course tattoist using sterilization techniques and are trained.

when i told them i self administered my trt not my gp they looked at me like a im from out of space.

i dont get it man of course tattoist using sterilization techniques and are trained.

when i told them i self administered my trt not my gp they looked at me like a im from out of space.

I got ink in the 1990's. Probably not like it is today but we also drank water out of garden hoses and played outside all day.

Now everyone wants everything to be bubble boy sterile.

-Still alive, PhD