MESO-Rx Exclusive What are your personal experiences with insulin?

MESO-Rx Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
@MairUnderwood(Researcher) discusses the varying opinions and experiences bodybuilders have regarding the use of insulin. Which ones do you agree with? Disagree with? How do you think insulin fits into a bodybuilder's regimen, if at all? What are your own personal experiences? This thread is to share you anecdotal experiences as well as science-informed opinions.

@MairUnderwood(Researcher) discusses the varying opinions and experiences bodybuilders have regarding the use of insulin. Which ones do you agree with? Disagree with? How do you think insulin fits into a bodybuilder's regimen, if at all? What are your own personal experiences? This thread is to share you anecdotal experiences as well as science-informed opinions.

It took me over a decade of using PEDs to decide to try insulin. After doing my own research I decided it was beneficial as I regularly take HGH and wanted to counter some of the effects of gH. After a few months of experimenting with my glucose monitor and regular insulin injections I found my sweet spot which is roughly 1-2 IU for every 2 UI of gH.

By micro dosing my insulin with my gH, I feel like Im getting more out of the protein and carbohydrates in my diet. Low dosing hasn't affected my insulin sensitivity much at all. Most notably, my pumps have been next level compared to any other bodybuilding hack for maximizing pump. For responsible users, insulin is very safe and in the five years I've used it I have never had any concerning incidents

Please view this as fair criticism! But God, this is very thin on citations for an article that purports to be quasi-scientific. I have more cites (by several-fold) from my own informal note-taking on Insulin. Where were Holt's contributions, if any, besides the statement that bodybuilders are often ahead of the science?

No mention of the cardiac harms from Insulin use. These are very real and the most likely contributor to early deaths in bodybuilding.

Did you ever read this thread: Who SHOULDN'T take slin?

It just seems to me this article, on the one hand, gave away too much detail with respect to dosages, and at the same time, was very thin on detail with respect to harms.

It took me over a decade of using PEDs to decide to try insulin. After doing my own research I decided it was beneficial as I regularly take HGH and wanted to counter some of the effects of gH. After a few months of experimenting with my glucose monitor and regular insulin injections I found my sweet spot which is roughly 1-2 IU for every 2 UI of gH.

By micro dosing my insulin with my gH, I feel like Im getting more out of the protein and carbohydrates in my diet. Low dosing hasn't affected my insulin sensitivity much at all. Most notably, my pumps have been next level compared to any other bodybuilding hack for maximizing pump. For responsible users, insulin is very safe and in the five years I've used it I have never had any concerning incidents
Yes I have heard that insulin pumps are insane! I didn't put much about the experience of insulin in this paper but when I publish the full paper in an academic journal I will be sure to.
I am really interested in this matching of your slin dose to your gH dose - is this commonly done? also, what would be your maximum gH dose and therefore slin dose?

Please view this as fair criticism! But God, this is very thin on citations for an article that purports to be quasi-scientific. I have more cites (by several-fold) from my own informal note-taking on Insulin. Where were Holt's contributions, if any, besides the statement that bodybuilders are often ahead of the science?

No mention of the cardiac harms from Insulin use. These are very real and the most likely contributor to early deaths in bodybuilding.

Did you ever read this thread: Who SHOULDN'T take slin?

It just seems to me this article, on the one hand, gave away too much detail with respect to dosages, and at the same time, was very thin on detail with respect to harms.
Thanks for the feedback but I think you missed the point of the article which wasn't to summarise the existing science, but to summarise bodybuilder perspectives, and particularly the issues of debate, and to inspire people to add their two cents so I have good data to analyse before I publish the full paper later. Rest assured that the full paper will contain the science - that's what Richard Holt will contribute. I contribute the 'broscience' for him to evaluate. Thanks for the link. I have found Dave Palumbo spouts a lot of misinformation about insulin

Thanks for the feedback but I think you missed the point of the article which wasn't to summarise the existing science, but to summarise bodybuilder perspectives, and particularly the issues of debate, and to inspire people to add their two cents so I have good data to analyse before I publish the full paper later. Rest assured that the full paper will contain the science - that's what Richard Holt will contribute. I contribute the 'broscience' for him to evaluate. Thanks for the link. I have found Dave Palumbo spouts a lot of misinformation about insulin
There's a reason for the debate and issues. It has to do with how much they're eating and how advanced they are. There's a point where you're taking a whole lot of anabolics but just won't grow until you're eating more. Then there's a point where you're stuffing your stomach with as much food as physically possible and the only way to grow more is by using insulin as a nutrient multiplier.

People who have gotten to that point will have a whole different view on it than people who haven't. And ya know, how many people really want to be Ronnie Coleman?

But what about insulin sensitivity? Has that been addressed?

gave me a type of fullness i've never got before, but i would have to compare it to nandrolone fullness. although i never pinned insulin pre workout (only in the morning and post workout), i still had sick pumps from that morning pin.

i remember once after a 2 month break from lifting, the first two weeks i pinned 10iu humalog 3x a day and i blew the fuck up within 10 days it was crazy. after every shot i chugged 60-75g dextrose. 15 min later i'd down a 4 scoop protein shake. hour and a half later 3 cans of tuna or 3 cups egg whites with some potatoes. that's it. gotta keep it super super strict on humalog. not sure how it goes with other super long insulins.

now i'm not sure if i'd do that again. i felt like a ginny pig in a science experiment. i got great results but when i do insulin i start feeling like maybe i've taken my hobby a bit too far...

I heard it's always good to take 2ius of insulin with an HGH shot to peak IGF-1 levels. And taking HGH, 15 minutes, then insulin post workout is the best noobie protocol.

Insulin (humalog) was the first PED i ever used in working out.

I had two friends growing up who were diabetic and i watched them use insulin many times even in their early teens so maybe that desensitized me to being afraid of insulin (if those half baked idiots could safely use it im sure i could).

The pursuit of using it never occured to me despite at the time me using simple carbs to spike my endogenous insulin pre/post workout. One day i learned that in Canada where i lived insulin could be bought right from the pharmacy without a prescription, and it was cheap. The same day i learned that i went and bought some humalog. I already knew i should ingest 10g of carbs per 1iu used. I was about 17 years old at the time and began using insulin, primarily post workout but experimented with various protocols.

Ive since used it on and off various times, with my heaviest and most consistent use being between ages 30-33 when i was pairing it with rHGH. I have not touched insulin for little over 4 years now.

I have never gone hypo from using insulin but i have always ingested 10g carbs per iu, with my primary carb used being dextrose powder id buy from a beer&wine brewing shop for like $10/5kg bags. I also always, even as a teenager, kept a big box of NERDS candies near me within a few hour window after administration incase i did start going hypo. Not only do i love NERDS candies but their primary ingredient is dextrose, and given they are easily portable they were my safety item when id be out and about. Id always keep a box in the center console of my car.

Insulin can pack weight on you fast. In conjunction with rHGH its even faster. Is it muscle? Well given how fast it packs on thats unlikely and its primarily glycogen build up and water. Being an ectomorphic body type i never really gained fat from insulin ever even using it solely by itself. It can help you break through plateaus both in weight and strength. You will get better pumps and better recovery when using it correctly.

I would never consider using insulin on a cut or in a caloric deficit or on a ketogenic diet. This is for bulking on a carb heavy caloric surplus only. I always maintained a minimum intake of 10g carbs per iu, i never tried reducing my carb to iu ratio, but ive read of guys getting away with considerably less carbs per iu, but i dont see why you would want to use insulin with minimal carbs as it would rob you of the results and increase your risk for hypo.

I should also add, during the peak of my use i was using humalog 14 days on/off with Metformin during the 14 day off period. When i used insulin as a teen i was not using metformin but never used the slin for more than a few weeks at a time.

I just had blood work yesterday as a matter of fact, and my fasting blood sugar was 5.0 mmol/L with a lab reference range of 4.1-5.9 mmol/L considered normal.

Last edited:
OK, I acknowledge that your article is intended to summarize the (often erroneous) beliefs about insulin among bodybuilders, but please recognize that you've written an article that is rich in persuasive writing techniques - I would presume unintentionally, i.e., without forethought (as a summary of even anthropological data is in my experience usually presented in a more science writing or technical writing style). I was expecting, a couple of paragraphs in, that this article (that you refer to more than once as a "paper") was the product of discourse or input from the expert authority you refer to, Richard Hold.

Just a sample of some of the persuasive writing techniques (bolded text is not my emphasis):

Pathos: "One of the most misunderstood and debated drugs in bodybuilding is insulin. This is because we have no science to act as a foundation for the ways that bodybuilders use insulin. This makes all bodybuilder knowledge about insulin use broscience. By using this term ‘broscience’ I am not meaning to discredit this knowledge. Experiential knowledge is very important, and often the athletes are ahead of the science, and can even be right when the science is wrong (Holt 2009). But sometimes what bodybuilders spout about insulin is complete bullshit. So how do you know who to listen to?

"Bodybuilder practice of insulin is based on heaps of n=1 studies, and a bunch of gurus who spout science-y sounding explanations. Few of these guys have any scientific or medical training, let alone expertise in endocrinology. Some of them have no fucking clue what they are talking about, but act like they do. There may be some gems of knowledge in this body of knowledge but most people (including myself) have no idea how to separate the gems from the shit."

Ethos: "Instead what I bring to the table is years of research in bodybuilding communities and a whole heap of different bodybuilder perspectives on insulin for bodybuilding collected from 20 interviews with insulin users with experience of insulin ranging from months to decades, over 30 hours of bodybuilder YouTube videos on insulin, and forum and social media posts on insulin use for bodybuilding. I also have an endocrinologist colleague who is going to help me make sense of this data."

Now I'm a voracious reader, and it's just really difficult for me to view the objective of this article as nothing more than a summary of self-reports or responses to questionnaire ("perspectives" or "debatable issues") from 20 subjects.

But the real worry I have about this article is that it is on Meso, a steroid harm reduction source, and it doesn't present the scientific or expert rebuttals to the many misconceptions therein (hopefully these are forthcoming); and consequently this article might be referenced by an average reader in support of the reader's erroneous views. For example, a guy might read the following:

"Some bodybuilders suggest that insulin is one of the safest drugs in their arsenal particularly as compared to DNP and trenbolone...
"All bodybuilders stated that hypoglycaemia was easily managed by consuming sugars..."

And be unable to discern between truth and falsehood. Bodybuilder self-reports or answers to questionnaire ("perspectives" or "debatable issues") are just going to be interpreted as authoritative by most of the readership, especially when universally held or majority views.

Just please consider editing this article appropriately when there are (presumably forthcoming) rebuttals from an expert to counter the misconceptions therein.

As a voracious reader, even I usually skip the last couple sentences of an article, as this portion of a writing is typically a conclusion/summary. Without reading the very last sentence, this entire article read like THIS WAS the paper to resolve insulin disagreements with help from your colleague, Richard Holt. I was legitimately wondering where his input was to be found.

Note that as the author of this article, its organization and presentation presents an argument, and this is especially potent in a persuasive writing. By omission of the cardiovascular risks, insulin toxicity/hyperinsulinaemia-induced insulin resistance; by presentation of dosages used, you do have a responsibility arising out of the product of your editing.

I am looking forward to the followup article, though, Mair. You're doing good work on the anthropological and interview side and conferring with good experts. I only take some issue with the way in which the data is being reported to us here (quite apart from anything that you might publish in the literature).

I would love to hear more about how you use the science and your take on insulin for my research. This is the type of data I am currently gathering for the future paper
Sure: my use of the science on insulin is to interpret it and decide whether to use it (and how; how much; etc.), or, if too risky, decide not to use it. In the case of insulin, the research led me to recognize its dangerousness, and therefore to not use it myself; and warn others that are amenable, providing references to relevant data.

For example, cardiovascular risks from insulin use I discuss a bit in that "Who SHOULDN'T take slin?" thread. I definitely agree that Palumbo is a dangerous fool btw. Rather, I provided the link because I referenced from my notes an important study:
[19] Herman, M. E., O’Keefe, J. H., Bell, D. S. H., & Schwartz, S. S. (2017). Insulin Therapy Increases Cardiovascular Risk in Type 2 Diabetes. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, 60(3), 422–434. doi:10.1016/j.pcad.2017.09.001

and answered a couple questions about it in that thread.

There's also a strong correlation between increased circulating insulin concentrations and morbidity (but this is largely inferred from epidemiological data).

Further, I think it's worth emphasizing that adding insulin use atop AAS use really is like providing an accelerant to a fire in progression towards type II diabetes as elevated triglycerides, dyslipidemia, endothelial dysfunction, atherosclerosis, hypertension, and prothrombotic activity (all well characterized effects of androgens) are all contributors. Decreased insulin sensitivity a la hyperinsulinemia/insulin toxicity occurs via mechanisms like decreased IR autophosphorylation & consequent GLUT-4 translocation.

All of these distinct risks posed by exogenous insulin use VERY likely contribute to bodybuilders reaching an early grave.

Pathos: "One of the most misunderstood and debated drugs in bodybuilding is insulin. This is because we have no science to act as a foundation for the ways that bodybuilders use insulin. This makes all bodybuilder knowledge about insulin use broscience. By using this term ‘broscience’ I am not meaning to discredit this knowledge. Experiential knowledge is very important, and often the athletes are ahead of the science, and can even be right when the science is wrong (Holt 2009). But sometimes what bodybuilders spout about insulin is complete bullshit.
The part about us being ahead of the science is so true. While the side about us spewing bullshit is also true af.

Sure: my use of the science on insulin is to interpret it and decide whether to use it (and how; how much; etc.), or, if too risky, decide not to use it. In the case of insulin, the research led me to recognize its dangerousness, and therefore to not use it myself; and warn others that are amenable, providing references to relevant data.

For example, cardiovascular risks from insulin use I discuss a bit in that "Who SHOULDN'T take slin?" thread. I definitely agree that Palumbo is a dangerous fool btw. Rather, I provided the link because I referenced from my notes an important study:
[19] Herman, M. E., O’Keefe, J. H., Bell, D. S. H., & Schwartz, S. S. (2017). Insulin Therapy Increases Cardiovascular Risk in Type 2 Diabetes. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, 60(3), 422–434. doi:10.1016/j.pcad.2017.09.001

and answered a couple questions about it in that thread.

There's also a strong correlation between increased circulating insulin concentrations and morbidity (but this is largely inferred from epidemiological data).

Further, I think it's worth emphasizing that adding insulin use atop AAS use really is like providing an accelerant to a fire in progression towards type II diabetes as elevated triglycerides, dyslipidemia, endothelial dysfunction, atherosclerosis, hypertension, and prothrombotic activity (all well characterized effects of androgens) are all contributors. Decreased insulin sensitivity a la hyperinsulinemia/insulin toxicity occurs via mechanisms like decreased IR autophosphorylation & consequent GLUT-4 translocation.

All of these distinct risks posed by exogenous insulin use VERY likely contribute to bodybuilders reaching an early grave.
Any comments on the interaction of DNP and Insulin?

"I'm really not going to bore you with long and complicated explanations of how both DNP and insulin work in the body, but I do need to touch on the subject. Many of the articles written about DNP refer to it’s abilities to block the actions of insulin. This is true only in a limited sense. Insulin is released by pancreatic beta cells in response to elevated ATP/ADP ratios. Briefly, when your blood sugar levels rise, your ATP/ADP levels become elevated, inhibiting ATP sensitive potassium ion channels (KATP), altering the membrane potential of the pancreatic cells and causing insulin release. The key point here is that insulin will not be released unless ATP levels within the cells increase. DNP interferes with the protein complex ATP synthase, which allows for the synthesis of ATP from ADP and Pi (inorganic phosphate). Since DNP interferes with a key step in ATP production, obviously ATP levels never elevate within any cell, including pancreatic beta cells. Hence, the feedback system through the KATP channels (at least in regards to insulin release), is disabled, and you effectively make yourself a diabetic while on DNP.
The primary action of insulin in the body is to drive glucose into muscle and liver cells (stored as glycogen) which is converted into ATP. ATP again? Since DNP reduces ATP production significantly, it again interferes with insulin by preventing a significant amount of the glucose that is pushed into cells by insulin from ever being used as energy (at least by the cell). So, what is happening to all of this energy that is being expended through the electron transport chain to turn ADP and Pi into ATP? It’s thrown off as heat, and lots of it. In fact, because the amount of heat produced is a direct correlation of how much DNP is consumed, taking too much DNP will cook you from the inside out. Let me repeat this. Taking too much DNP will fry you like an egg. It doesn’t sound like a pleasant way to die, does it? DNP is not one of those, hey a little did me good, more will do me better kind of substances. A little will do you good and more will burn your ass up.
So, now we understand the ways in which DNP interferes with some of the actions of insulin. Another action of insulin (thank you God) is that it promotes transport of amino acids from the bloodstream into muscles and other cells. Insulin also increases the rate at which amino acids are incorporated into protein. Although DNP does block the release of insulin and prevents a key component of the electron transport chain (ATP synthase, remember?), it does nothing to prevent the aforementioned extremely anabolic affect of insulin. Therefore, when you use DNP, you should be administering insulin at the same time. The exogenous insulin will still work its anabolic magic while the DNP burns off reams of body fat through the resultant metabolic increase." - Jason Mueller.

Any comments on the interaction of DNP and Insulin?

"I'm really not going to bore you with long and complicated explanations of how both DNP and insulin work in the body, but I do need to touch on the subject. Many of the articles written about DNP refer to it’s abilities to block the actions of insulin. This is true only in a limited sense. Insulin is released by pancreatic beta cells in response to elevated ATP/ADP ratios. Briefly, when your blood sugar levels rise, your ATP/ADP levels become elevated, inhibiting ATP sensitive potassium ion channels (KATP), altering the membrane potential of the pancreatic cells and causing insulin release. The key point here is that insulin will not be released unless ATP levels within the cells increase. DNP interferes with the protein complex ATP synthase, which allows for the synthesis of ATP from ADP and Pi (inorganic phosphate). Since DNP interferes with a key step in ATP production, obviously ATP levels never elevate within any cell, including pancreatic beta cells. Hence, the feedback system through the KATP channels (at least in regards to insulin release), is disabled, and you effectively make yourself a diabetic while on DNP.
The primary action of insulin in the body is to drive glucose into muscle and liver cells (stored as glycogen) which is converted into ATP. ATP again? Since DNP reduces ATP production significantly, it again interferes with insulin by preventing a significant amount of the glucose that is pushed into cells by insulin from ever being used as energy (at least by the cell). So, what is happening to all of this energy that is being expended through the electron transport chain to turn ADP and Pi into ATP? It’s thrown off as heat, and lots of it. In fact, because the amount of heat produced is a direct correlation of how much DNP is consumed, taking too much DNP will cook you from the inside out. Let me repeat this. Taking too much DNP will fry you like an egg. It doesn’t sound like a pleasant way to die, does it? DNP is not one of those, hey a little did me good, more will do me better kind of substances. A little will do you good and more will burn your ass up.
So, now we understand the ways in which DNP interferes with some of the actions of insulin. Another action of insulin (thank you God) is that it promotes transport of amino acids from the bloodstream into muscles and other cells. Insulin also increases the rate at which amino acids are incorporated into protein. Although DNP does block the release of insulin and prevents a key component of the electron transport chain (ATP synthase, remember?), it does nothing to prevent the aforementioned extremely anabolic affect of insulin. Therefore, when you use DNP, you should be administering insulin at the same time. The exogenous insulin will still work its anabolic magic while the DNP burns off reams of body fat through the resultant metabolic increase." - Jason Mueller.
Well, DNP certainly does block the anabolic effects of exogenous insulin as it sabotages the proton pump and interferes with Pi groups' uptake into the mitochondrial matrix, reducing substrates for ATPase.

Growth requires ATP. The practical purpose of exogenous insulin is growth. DNP works at cross-purposes with this (its purpose is fat loss and it's a very blunt instrument at that).

Insulin promotes skeletal muscle hypertrophy by increased muscle protein synthesis, b) reduced proteolysis, and c) transmembrane transport of AAs (non-BCAAs).

Only one of these (b) is particularly useful in skeletal muscle with the use of DNP for the preservation of muscle and strength. I'd suggest that androgens accomplish anticatabolism in skeletal muscle at low doses better than insulin.

gave me a type of fullness i've never got before, but i would have to compare it to nandrolone fullness. although i never pinned insulin pre workout (only in the morning and post workout), i still had sick pumps from that morning pin.

i remember once after a 2 month break from lifting, the first two weeks i pinned 10iu humalog 3x a day and i blew the fuck up within 10 days it was crazy. after every shot i chugged 60-75g dextrose. 15 min later i'd down a 4 scoop protein shake. hour and a half later 3 cans of tuna or 3 cups egg whites with some potatoes. that's it. gotta keep it super super strict on humalog. not sure how it goes with other super long insulins.

now i'm not sure if i'd do that again. i felt like a ginny pig in a science experiment. i got great results but when i do insulin i start feeling like maybe i've taken my hobby a bit too far...
This was my experience. It was like doing a first cycle all over again. Loved it.

I did go hypo once, and on plenty of carbs. I never did figure out what I did wrong, but I always backed off the iu a bit from that level from then on. It was a little scary.

Now @Type-IIx has me all freaked out that I killed myself, though, dammit.

There's a reason for the debate and issues. It has to do with how much they're eating and how advanced they are. There's a point where you're taking a whole lot of anabolics but just won't grow until you're eating more. Then there's a point where you're stuffing your stomach with as much food as physically possible and the only way to grow more is by using insulin as a nutrient multiplier.
Yes, this is a good point that I haven't mentioned in here but will in the final paper. Insulin is particularly useful when you hit a plateau. What people have told me is:
1. max out your natty gains - once you hit that plateau then use AAS
2. max out your AAS gains - once you hit that plateau then use gH and insulin
Is that correct? I get the impression that a lot of guys don't do this and want to go hard too soon

Back