What is "Normal" hematocrit?

jonkobeck

10+ Year Member
I know its usually up to 50 Hct to be considered normal. I ask because I couldnt get to my urologist this month so I had my Gastro doc (I was there anyway) check my Hct and it came back at 52.5. But his lab (not sure which) says normal range is up to 53. RBC was also normal.

What ever way you look at it. You still need to donate. Even if the latter limit is 53, your only .5 off the upper limit.

However on all bloods I have done the upper limit is infact 50.

I know I should, and I will soon. I just wanted to make sure it was an "emergency" as if go do it now. I have read numerous posts on here (Dr Jim) that advocate no immediate urgency to donate even at much higher levels though.

Whether someone NEEDS to donate is based on the HCT and signs and symptoms.

This is the case with most lab work clinical decisions are made not only on the results of the assay itself but also the signs and symptoms of THE PATIENT!

Not every patient with a crit above 55 NEEDS to donate blood much like every patient with a TT below 300ng/DL needs to start TRT.

An "emergency" blood donation! Never heard of such a thing from TRT NEVER!

Last edited:
Dr Jim, I am happy theres no such thing as an emergency donation :)
Question; when you say "signs and symptoms" warranting a donation; what are they specifically?

LOL being a hypochondriac I just googled symptoms of polycythemia and noticed fatigue. For the last month I have felt extremely tired and weak, like I just want to lie down and sleep during the day. Also a little body-achy and muscle achy. Sort of like a cold that won't go away. Now Im concerned. I will do the donation, but feeling so tired I may just pass out at the blood bank. Ugh

Google; polycythemia signs and symptoms or more specifically erythrocytosis.

People should also understand the signs and symptoms are variable and in many ways dependent upon the conditioning of the "athlete".

After all endurance athletes SEEK AN ABOVE NORMAL blood count, with an hematocrit ABOVE even 60%, thru the use of much more specifics therapy than TRT, and it's called ERYTHROPOIETIN.

Remember that one? Yep it's what L Armstrong finally admitted to using as a cyclist!

Last edited:
With a crib of 52.5 how likely is it that my fatigue is related to the high Hct? And if I donate feeling a little fatigued will that be a problem? I always worry about passing out after a donation.

As I said the S & S are highly individualized. However since I know nothing about your cardiac or pulmonary status, your endurance or overall conditioning the probability your fatigue is directly related to a Crit of 52% approximates 5.13573%
:)

My point; ASK YOUR OWN DOCTOR!

Good luck

Thanks! I'm not in the best physical shape I should be in. I'm 51 and work at a desk all day and don't exercise. Heart and lungs are good though, had stress and echo regularly. So yes I guess I will donate blood.
FYI the reason I'm resistant to donating is I don't do well. 9 months ago I donated and felt dizzy and light headed all day. Got short of Brest during the donation and tired for 3 days afterword. Not fun

Thinking about doing the baby aspirin thing

Incidentally the effect of TRT on HCT will reach a plateau bt 6 -12 months.

The maximal impact on ones HCT is reached sooner (closer to 6 months) in those greater than age 50, but is more prolonged (closer 12 months) in younger patients.

The majority of TRT patients do NOT NEED to donate blood on medical grounds IME.

Some BENEFIT from those EXTRA RBCs running around supplying oxygen to fatigued muscle cells but some do NOT bc in the latter instance the increased blood viscosity forces the heart and lungs work harder.

To there's a trade off of sorts and the difference is THE INDIVIDUALS CARDIOULLMONARY RESERVE and OVERALL CONDITIONING.

Wanna know more investigate the HCT of the Serpa Indians around Mt Everest!

My point there's MUCH more than your crit is X, "I need to donate blood to feel better", NOT, NOT, NOT!

Don't get me wrong I think it's great BB donate blood! But there's a lot of misinformation about when directed donation of this nature is MEDICALLY INDICATED.

Last edited:
It's for these reasons I attempt to "delay" directed donation for at least 6 months after the onset of TRT as this allows one to establish an upper end TRT/Hct baseline.

Thereafter I believe donating blood at least ONCE is probably a GOOD IDEA in many TRT/ASS patients (providing the Hgb is at least 14g/dl) as it can provide more objective evidence of symptomatic benefit or long term medical necessity IMO

Last edited:
I was donating every 4 months until about 9 months ago. Did maybe a dozen donations. BUT I recently increased my T from 40mg every 4 days to 50mg test c every 4 days. Perhaps the small increase raised the hct?

Back