• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

What jobs will flourish when covid, “dies down”?

jJjburton

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
So I am a personal trainer, working up to be a physical therapist. 65% of the way there.

As of now personal training has changed dramatically, and will be for a while. Its virtual, which sucks.

what jobs do you think are going to really flourish, once social distancing has began to drop off?

Communication technology

Networking and coding continue to be decent low level technology gigs, but it's simple work and anyone with a brain will get bored very fast.

Specialized work in UC will be a bankroll job for the next decade and income well past six figures is part of the job. No cubicle, visits to client sites, work from home if you want to. If you're interested in tech that's the direction I would head in and as the years unfold just follow the trends and keep learning about emerging technology. It's hard to get left behind if you do that.

For those that don't know...

Unified Communications (UC) refers to a phone system that integrates (or “unifies”) multiple communication methods within a business.

Your business probably communicates in a number of ways: phone calls, video conferencing, instant messaging, email, SMS, fax – the list goes on and on.

A UC solution brings together all the ways your business communicates and lets them “talk” to each other so they can work together in one system – making your business much more efficient.

Who makes UC devices? What does UC really mean?

When you see stories about Microsoft Teams and Zoom applications, that's probably the most forward facing part of the UC world. That's what you see and hear, how you control the communication. It's simply put as the application layer.

People used to buy expensive hardware (codecs) for these communication efforts but have 'soft codec' options now. They would spend 20/30k on the codec hardware, another pile of cash on the rest of the meeting rooms equipment, another pile of cash on engineering and design, more cash to install and even more cash to program it all. After all that they would have to spend another few thousand every year just to licence the codec box out and keep it up and running. Now, if you have a tech issue you even have to pay the manufacturer to help troubleshoot and fix it. Even more expense.

Sounds crazy, right? All that cash for that? It's cheap compared to sending executives around the world on planes, putting them up in hotels and then adding entertainment expenses on top of that! Whoa boy, entertainment accounts used to be wicked fucking stacked. Imagine taking a potential client out for a 5/6k night at a peeler joint after a perfect steak dinner at the top end place in any major metro area. Throw in a bunch of cocaine and a hooker maybe. That's how a lot of business was run prior to the advent advent of telecommunication. Do that a few times a month for a handful of executives and high end sales staff, it's going to add up fast.

So, the term UC really just simplified (and ended) the hardware codec era. We've removed physical hardware and turned it into software driven applications. This removes almost all of the overhead regarding physical components. Users have their own laptops, so we're all able to play in the same sandbox without issue. Simple as that.

Plenty of companies want into this arena. Yamaha is trying to make a good push, they will fail in 2020. Polycom and Cisco will also end up on the back burner, but will continue to stay relevant on the back end with media centric devices to support the infrastructure. Believe it or not, not all networking gear is workable with this stuff. Lots of restrictions depending on what you're trying to do.

The front runner, and my personal favorite is a company called Crestron. Unreal UC solutions, quality hardware used, built in house (USA! USA! USA!), a constant effort from them to push the software forward even after the sale (firmware upgrades to improve) and a warranty like none other. It's a billion dollar media hardware company that nobody has ever heard of. Zero debt and 500 million annual revenue, plenty of room to grow and play for their engineering team.

Guys, if you're in the market for a new career take a serious look at A/V and control systems. It's legit pay, has a pile of educated directions to head in and you want recession proof? The only thing that's going to collapse this industry is another real world war. It's staying power is that guaranteed. We all dictate that media is a prevalent thing in our lives from phones to car to tv to computes to video game systems and so on. It's not going away for generations because of what we want as consumers.

I also like the fact that I can wear whatever I want to work, and never shave lol. Ever walk into a boardroom full of crisp clean suits and they all pay attention to you as you teach them how to use their new UC system, as you're wearing a red Sox t-shirt and cargo shorts? All while making sustainable money?

Its a cool job :cool:

So I am a personal trainer, working up to be a physical therapist. 65% of the way there.

As of now personal training has changed dramatically, and will be for a while. Its virtual, which sucks.

what jobs do you think are going to really flourish, once social distancing has began to drop off?
Personal training is dead in the water as we know it. There are far too many free apps and more affordable group classes. You will either have to be someone like Richard Simmons and pull the #'s with group bullshit or become a niche market, specialized type trainer that dwells in performance enhancement layouts, nutrition, and advanced training to a small, select group of ppl.

Highly skilled trades are going to make a major comeback. Plumbing, electrical work, fabrication, CNC machine operator, welding, master carpentry, mechanic work, these are going to be the types of jobs with a smaller group qualified enough to pull from. Everyone will know computers and electronics but nobody will be able to work with their hands or move around physically

I would say either that or something in the field of healthcare, since ppl are always going to be sick and dying, probably at a much higher rate in due time since nobody will be able to afford to eat healthy and there will be a death of the middle class.

Physical therapy is also a good path. Right now therapists are threatening to drive chiropractors out of business and They are doing more for ppl than they could in the past.

I feel we're switching away from face to face situations and getting more comfortable with communication through various apps. People are also favoring instant gratification. A lot of people are ordering more delivery and take out than they are cooking. People are shopping in person less and using online stores more.

So I guess whatever jobs go hand in hand with making people's everyday life tasks easier / more enjoyable. Or something in the technology field like coding apps or some shit.

Construction will most likely flourish throughout the rest of the year when states allow them to continue.

Many construction projects are planned out and budgets applied months or years in advance. When start dates and current projects get put on hold, it's very difficult to move them out. That money has been dedicated to those projects and it needs spent. With everything going on, there are going to be a lot of condensed project schedules to make up for lost time this year. Most likely, covid cases are going to spike after life resumes which will set projects back again, and condense already condensed schedules.

I always thought I was in a recession proof trade..... guess I was wrong.

I always felt that there would be cars on the road and always be collision work.

I was wrong, people are not driving and the insurance companies are telling their insureds to hold off on getting repairs done if their car is still drivable.

Highly skilled trades are going to make a major comeback. Plumbing, electrical work, fabrication, CNC machine operator, welding, master carpentry, mechanic work, these are going to be the types of jobs with a smaller group qualified enough to pull from. Everyone will know computers and electronics but nobody will be able to work with their hands or move around physically
skilled, hands on blue collar workers that know the technology and software side will catapult to the top.

Many construction projects are planned out and budgets applied months or years in advance.
100% accurate. Almost nothing stops major construction

True. Nothing stops major construction. Also many home remodels as people stay home Same shit happened in 2008 recession. Big projects continues. Home Remodels also.

True. Nothing stops major construction. Also many home remodels as people stay home Same shit happened in 2008 recession. Big projects continues. Home Remodels also.
I have a home build out starting as we speak. It's not stopping for anything other than an asteroid strike

For those that don't know...

Unified Communications (UC) refers to a phone system that integrates (or “unifies”) multiple communication methods within a business.

Your business probably communicates in a number of ways: phone calls, video conferencing, instant messaging, email, SMS, fax – the list goes on and on.

A UC solution brings together all the ways your business communicates and lets them “talk” to each other so they can work together in one system – making your business much more efficient.

Who makes UC devices? What does UC really mean?

When you see stories about Microsoft Teams and Zoom applications, that's probably the most forward facing part of the UC world. That's what you see and hear, how you control the communication. It's simply put as the application layer.

People used to buy expensive hardware (codecs) for these communication efforts but have 'soft codec' options now. They would spend 20/30k on the codec hardware, another pile of cash on the rest of the meeting rooms equipment, another pile of cash on engineering and design, more cash to install and even more cash to program it all. After all that they would have to spend another few thousand every year just to licence the codec box out and keep it up and running. Now, if you have a tech issue you even have to pay the manufacturer to help troubleshoot and fix it. Even more expense.

Sounds crazy, right? All that cash for that? It's cheap compared to sending executives around the world on planes, putting them up in hotels and then adding entertainment expenses on top of that! Whoa boy, entertainment accounts used to be wicked fucking stacked. Imagine taking a potential client out for a 5/6k night at a peeler joint after a perfect steak dinner at the top end place in any major metro area. Throw in a bunch of cocaine and a hooker maybe. That's how a lot of business was run prior to the advent advent of telecommunication. Do that a few times a month for a handful of executives and high end sales staff, it's going to add up fast.

So, the term UC really just simplified (and ended) the hardware codec era. We've removed physical hardware and turned it into software driven applications. This removes almost all of the overhead regarding physical components. Users have their own laptops, so we're all able to play in the same sandbox without issue. Simple as that.

Plenty of companies want into this arena. Yamaha is trying to make a good push, they will fail in 2020. Polycom and Cisco will also end up on the back burner, but will continue to stay relevant on the back end with media centric devices to support the infrastructure. Believe it or not, not all networking gear is workable with this stuff. Lots of restrictions depending on what you're trying to do.

The front runner, and my personal favorite is a company called Crestron. Unreal UC solutions, quality hardware used, built in house (USA! USA! USA!), a constant effort from them to push the software forward even after the sale (firmware upgrades to improve) and a warranty like none other. It's a billion dollar media hardware company that nobody has ever heard of. Zero debt and 500 million annual revenue, plenty of room to grow and play for their engineering team.

Guys, if you're in the market for a new career take a serious look at A/V and control systems. It's legit pay, has a pile of educated directions to head in and you want recession proof? The only thing that's going to collapse this industry is another real world war. It's staying power is that guaranteed. We all dictate that media is a prevalent thing in our lives from phones to car to tv to computes to video game systems and so on. It's not going away for generations because of what we want as consumers.

I also like the fact that I can wear whatever I want to work, and never shave lol. Ever walk into a boardroom full of crisp clean suits and they all pay attention to you as you teach them how to use their new UC system, as you're wearing a red Sox t-shirt and cargo shorts? All while making sustainable money?

Its a cool job :cool:
You stole this idea from Ryan Howard on the office. Just send a Woof lol

Don’t you love how some sex workers in Canada are complaining about not getting CERB benefit.
No Cathy fucking Fred down the street isn’t a job.

Should have bought 3M stocks before the pandemic. Masks are going to be a highly sought after item for the foreseeable future.

Don’t you love how some sex workers in Canada are complaining about not getting CERB benefit.
No Cathy fucking Fred down the street isn’t a job.

The fuck it isn't. It's enough of a job in the eye of the Canadian government to file taxes, it's a job.

You understand that your feelings have no bearings on what is and what isn't a job, right?