• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Why do fat guys do ab work?

Morefyah

Banned
With all that fat 25% and up, why do ab routines? Shouldn't they just not eat so much and concentrate on there diet and cardio?
It seems like crunches and planks are not going to do shit for all that fat covering there midsection.
I feel like saying something?

Why not? The core stabilizes everything and is utilized in so many lifts. Why wouldn't they want a strong core? Now if that's all they do in hopes of getting abs then yes, they're in the wrong and should be developing everything and working on their diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Core strength is probably the most useful thing to have for the average Joe. Back health and posture issues, functional strength, and fucking all benefit from an ab routine.

I never said anything about lifts.
I get that part. It's the crunches and planks and ab machines.
It's like they think its going to give them abs and make them more lean.
They just need to eat less and spend way more time on cardio.
There should be signs posted around the gym telling them that there wasting there time.

Because people are retarded and they think they can target fat loss by exercising that area more. Would be my guess.

Why do you work legs? I mean you can't even see them unless you are wearing a speedo?

Squats are just a waste, go straight to the calf raises

There should be signs posted around the gym telling them that there wasting there time.

There is no such thing as wasting your time in the gym no matter what your bodyfat percentage is.

Crunches WILL reduce bodyfat. It won't necessarily reduce it in the midsection... But why would anyone NOT do crunches by that reasoning?? If someone tends to carry a lot of fat in the chest, should they skip chest day? Fat in the arms, they are wasting their time with curls?

I just don't understand the logic here...

Even if they do think it'll reduce midsection bodyfat, which I don't think many people even believe in these days, what harm would it be for them to believe it?

Last edited:
Fat or not they're in there putting in work attempting to improve themselves. I've got no issue with it.

Thanks. I'm always looking for a reason to skip ab exercises. I'll wait till I'm under 15% bf to start a cycle and do abs

There is no such thing as wasting your time in the gym no matter what your bodyfat percentage is.

Crunches WILL reduce bodyfat. It won't necessarily reduce it in the midsection... But why would anyone NOT do crunches by these reasoning?? If someone tends to carry a lot of fat in the chest, should they skip chest day? Fat in the arms, they are wasting their time with curls?

I just don't understand the logic here...
Your twisting my words now.
I am talking obese people 50-100lbs over weight, with huge guts doing 3 sets of crunches. Not someone holding a little fat in there chest. These are people I have seen at the gym for years and are making no progress with there fat loss.
Your right it's the effort that counts and if it makes them happier and feel better by doing there same routine with zero progress, then more power to them.
They seem to be making an effort by getting off there asses and going to the gym.
That's awesome, but at the same time they are lazy when it comes to researching the proper way to shed fat and correcting there poor eating habits.
All I'm saying is somebody with a huge fat gut is wasting there time doing crunches. They actually believe it's going to give them a six pack. :rolleyes:

I am talking obese people 50-100lbs over weight, with huge guts doing 3 sets of crunches. Not someone holding a little fat in there chest. These are people I have seen at the gym for years and are making no progress with there fat loss.
Your right it's the effort that counts and if it makes them happier and feel better by doing there same routine with zero progress, then more power to them.
They seem to be making an effort by getting off there asses and going to the gym.
That's awesome, but at the same time they are lazy when it comes to researching the proper way to shed fat and correcting there poor eating habits.
All I'm saying is somebody with a huge fat gut is wasting there time doing crunches. They actually believe it's going to give them a six pack. :rolleyes:

I've just never actually met anyone that believed that crunches would get them a six pack despite a shitty diet so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it...

Most out of shape folks seem to even go overboard with diet IME, salad only diets and what not. I just think the grand majority knows that diet is what cuts fat but it's a simple understanding that starts to work against them.

I guess that's why weight loss is a multi billion dollar business. There is all the gimmicky ab infomercials out there, tv, movies, magazine ads associating ab work with weight loss it's kinda been programmed into the minds of people.
Then of course there is genetics involved which as we all know is even more difficult to overcome than just being lazy and having poor eating habits.
I think it's weird that you never met anybody that thinks crunches won't help give them a six pack.
I bet if you polled 10 random people off the street with that question you would get a lot more "yes"it helps get you a six pack answers.
Without even cosidering weight lost first.

This is more what I meant, I just didn't use so many words.

Same reason I've been jelqing for 8 years.... Ron Jeremy said it works, therefore it must work!

Look at all the TV ads... with that weird an crunch thing that "carves and sculpts" in just 5 minutes a day.

Same reason I've been jelqing for 8 years.... Ron Jeremy said it works, therefore it must work!

Look at all the TV ads... with that weird an crunch thing that "carves and sculpts" in just 5 minutes a day.

Jelq for those cock gains

At least they are working out and training something . The ones that get me are the people who are fat , come and walk on a treadmill for 30 mins and leave . A year later thier still the same size , think they are working out . I feel like saying to those folks , asshole tape your mouth shut and open your front door and walk around the block , people need the machine your wasting time on !

Some people just need time to come to the realization that what their doing isn't going to help them reach a certain goal. Or some guys really don't care to be low bodyfat and yoked. My father in law does this exact thing with a big ass gut he says he "stays active" he does a little here and there just so he can say that. To each his own