• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Will I be liable for my mom's debt if she passes with nothing in her name.

Desibaba

My mother is 67 and isnt in the best shape. She has a paid off house, assets and amazing credit. She is slowly transferring EVERYTHING into my name while she is still in good shape. I figure after its done I should have her use her credit cards to remodel my house, buy some toys for me, etc since she wont be needing credit where she is going. If at the time of her passing she is completely broke (on paper since everything has been transferred to my name and she is dying without a will or estate). Will the credit card companies still come after me to pay off the debt? Remember my name is not on any of those credit cards not do I co own as assets with her. Im thinking why let her credit go to waste when I get some money out of it that I wont be paying back.

Well I'd assume if you bought a car or something they would come and repo it when the payments stop.

My mother is 67 and isnt in the best shape. She has a paid off house, assets and amazing credit. She is slowly transferring EVERYTHING into my name while she is still in good shape. I figure after its done I should have her use her credit cards to remodel my house, buy some toys for me, etc since she wont be needing credit where she is going. If at the time of her passing she is completely broke (on paper since everything has been transferred to my name and she is dying without a will or estate). Will the credit card companies still come after me to pay off the debt? Remember my name is not on any of those credit cards not do I co own as assets with her. Im thinking why let her credit go to waste when I get some money out of it that I wont be paying back.

That would be a fucked up thing to have your mom do on her deathbed don't you think?

As a person who's watching his own mother die of cancer I find this pretty damn offensive , and greedy . Yes , anything with a VIN number will be getting repo"ed .

My advice ? Enjoy getting a little bit less of your mothers free money instead of alot . Prison sucks . o_O

I would never ever entertain doing something like this, and people have gone to prison for that.

Your mothers debt is not yours, and kill anyone who says it is.

The good old USA is one of the only advanced nations in the world that subjects it's citizens to medical bankruptcy. You want to know why? Because we are stupid, lazy and demoralized.

My Dad died when I was 15 and my money when I was 30, I watched them both suffer, they both gave me the world, I can honestly say that there was never a time while they were dying that I was thinking about getting them to buy me stuff or run up there credit cards, I didnt give 2 shits about money, all I cared about was losing them.

My Dad died when I was 15 and my money when I was 30, I watched them both suffer, they both gave me the world, I can honestly say that there was never a time while they were dying that I was thinking about getting them to buy me stuff or run up there credit cards, I didnt give 2 shits about money, all I cared about was losing them.

You must have some coin. His mother should have every penny taken from her that would be passed on to her children while the mega wealthy pass on fortunes that will guarantee that their next 20 generations will want for nothing?

I understand what you are saying. The last time I saw my mother she couldn't remember my name. That was thanksgiving this year. I'm not thinking about money, but I am certain that this man's mother never had the tax loopholes that the wealthy use to protect their fortunes.

I look at it like this. All my life I have paid interest to banks and credit card companies to keep my credit squeaky clean. Also I would have HER sign and pay for any renovations that I get done to my house (roof, bathrooms/kitchen remodeled) or new driveway or electronics for the living room. My question is can they come after ME if she willingly and knowingly bought stuff and then handed it off to me or paid for services on MY House using her credit card. And no Im not going to have her put a car on a credit card lol. More like a expensive flat screen tv, vacation to europe, etc would be what Im shooting for. I mean its not like she would be needing credit where she is going.

wow. just wow.

not sure who said it but enjoy the time you have left with her instead of scheming to leverage financial gain from her passing. if you're inclined to profit from death get life insurance.

wow. just wow.

not sure who said it but enjoy the time you have left with her instead of scheming to leverage financial gain from her passing. if you're inclined to profit from death get life insurance.
At her age I doubt anyone will give her life insurance and I am getting about $400k from her but I dont want to piss away the $100k or so I could squeeze out of credit cards that she wont back pay on. Its basically free money I would be throwing away if she passes away with perfect credit and no debt like she is right now.

At her age I doubt anyone will give her life insurance and I am getting about $400k from her but I dont want to piss away the $100k or so I could squeeze out of credit cards that she wont back pay on. Its basically free money I would be throwing away if she passes away with perfect credit and no debt like she is right now.
This is all a joke ....right??? I mean...Your not serious!

dude, I'm not going to entertain this conversation much further but I have to be honest with you. that kind of act is part of 'the problem'.

14925479_10209579329314212_8773221583949310051_n.jpg

This is all a joke ....right??? I mean...Your not serious!
Why wouldn't I be? Its basically free money that I wouldn't be paying back and it wont fuck my credit up either. She doesn't need credit where she is going. I make about $70k a year. Why would I piss away $100k that I can get from credit card companies for Free? Thats dumb.

Family will always be worth more than money, your family took care of you, now is the time to pay your dues and take care of your family.