Wrong syringe filters?

Makes sense. You'd think you'd want a filter that would absorb water and keep it from passing through when it comes to oils. Is this the case with hydrophilic? If so, that is optimal.
No that's the opposite hydrophilic means it will have water pass through, hydrophobic it's what you are talking about.

so PTFE Hydrophobic would work well to filter just the BA or if I wanna filter water + BA PTFE Hydrophilic correct?
Use hydrophilic for everything no need for anything else. BA is intrinsically oily btw as is bb.

If you want to only filter the ba just draw a bit of wifi to cause 5ml ba you need is not going to pass through the filter just prime it. Add 30ml water plus 5ml ba and filter it through and flush it with another 20ml of pure water

Use hydrophilic for everything no need for anything else. BA is intrinsically oily btw as is bb.

If you want to only filter the ba just draw a bit of wifi to cause 5ml ba you need is not going to pass through the filter just prime it. Add 30ml water plus 5ml ba and filter it through and flush it with another 20ml of pure water
I'll probably refilter the whole bottle of BA I have got 1liter, into 100ml sterile vials.

When it arrives I'll send you a picture, maybe it's one of those BA that is up to pharma standard and don't need to be refiltered

I'll probably refilter the whole bottle of BA I have got 1liter, into 100ml sterile vials.

When it arrives I'll send you a picture, maybe it's one of those BA that is up to pharma standard and don't need to be refiltered
100-200 ml BA is more than enough. Enough for 5-10lt of finished oils

Guys 20ml syringe are ok for filtering by hand? or better use 10ml syringe?
I'm not gonna use a calking gun or anything. 21g needle I was thinking, or 18g would work too without fucking up the stopper? or the needle doesn't matter because the most restrictive thing is the .22 filter?

Last edited:
I'm not gonna use a calking gun or anything. 21g needle I was thinking, or 18g would work too without fucking up the stopper? or the needle doesn't matter because the most restrictive thing is the .22 filter?
Too big 20 or 10 ml. You will find hard to push the plunger.
2 or 3 ml it will be more easily for filtering.
I use 20g for filtering. It's not too big not too small. You can use 18g also or 21g. Whatever you have,can get. Needle size matter a bit. It will have a impact on how fast you will filter the oil

Also get a filter with a bigger diameter like 33 mm. There are smaller ones but those are a pain to use. It will slow down the process by a lot.
If you have like 50-100 ml then whatever. You can use anything as in 1h you will be done

Bub
hand use 5ml or smaller. Less surface size of the plunger higher the force exerted

Also get a filter with a bigger diameter like 33 mm. There are smaller ones but those are a pain to use. It will slow down the process by a lot.
If you have like 50-100 ml then whatever. You can use anything as in 1h you will be done
Bought 33mm 0.22 filter yes and I'll have 100ml max to refilter (I'm still not brewing for now) just refiltering gear.

Shit really 2-3ml syringe max? That's gonna be lots of drawing lol
I'll buy one of each and test all the size just to have a better idea. I don't think to the needle size change much, I can push without any issue with a 21g any oil, the problem is the filter that will create the most resistance, isn't it?

Bub

hand use 5ml or smaller. Less surface size of the plunger higher the force exerted
Roger that! Will buy some 5ml syringes then, can I just plunge the needle with the filter attached into the sterile vial and keep attaching and detaching the syringe from the filter while I keep recharging it of oil to filter?

Roger that! Will buy some 5ml syringes then, can I just plunge the needle with the filter attached into the sterile vial and keep attaching and detaching the syringe from the filter while I keep recharging it of oil to filter?
That's what I ve been doing the last 20 or so years...

Why no caulking gun? Low hanging fruit there.
Does it work well without the issue of bursting the filter? What kind of syringe should I use with caulking gun 50ml 30ml? Any modification or just need to buy one and that's it?

Does it work well without the issue of bursting the filter? What kind of syringe should I use with caulking gun 50ml 30ml? Any modification or just need to buy one and that's it?
50ml syringe. You go by feel, slow and steady in the beginning you really need to force it to break the filter. I had maybe 2 filters bursting all these years and that's because I was in a hurry not paying the proper attention to the procedure.

50ml syringe. You go by feel, slow and steady in the beginning you really need to force it to break the filter. I had maybe 2 filters bursting all these years and that's because I was in a hurry not paying the proper attention to the procedure.
so I just start pumping until I see the oil coming out of the needle, and pump more when the pressure is not enough and the dripping is not happening anymore I guess.

My first test is gonna be with Primo E, if I fail miserably is gonna be a fucking expensive test ahahaha
my worry is the filter burst from the needle attachment and it squeeze oil everywhere

I have all luer slip syringe and needle