AAS and high bodyfat %

Guys, I know we love to simply pretend that high bodyfat somehow makes AAS use stupid and pointless but the world of powerlifting and oly lifting begs to differ.

Plenty of very large, very strong, high BF% folks use AAS and other PEDs to great effect.

Are they healthy? Frequently no. But they frequently weren't "healthy" when lifting natty either (see also: Dave Tate et al).

Are there examples of power/strength athletes whoa re lean and using steroids? Of course, but that doesn't make bodyfat some sort of magic kryptonite that prevents AAS from functioning.

As @Skarpyona mention, the way we refer to this based a lot less in fact and has more to do with gatekeeping, harm reduction, and a very narrow focus on the BB side of the house.
No no that’s not the point here, you’re skipping over the the main component of the topic here, it’s that fattys who know nothing about anabolics, training or diet, think that aas will easily make them lean and jacked, I don’t think any single person has doubted or talked shit about experienced fattys using anabolics in sport.

you’re skipping over the the main component of the topic here, it’s that fattys who know nothing about anabolics, training or diet, think that aas will easily make them lean and jacked, I don’t think any single person has doubted or talked shit about experienced fattys using anabolics in sport.
No I hear you on that:) Believe me, spent a ton of time with those exact crazy threads here over the years.

I just don't like to make the blanket statement about fat% and AAS to those guys because it just isn't the case, and saying so will erode credibility when/if they research that and figure it out.

We have had plenty of real authority figures piss their credibility away in the last 18-20 months with easily falsifiable statements for me to try and avoid similar happenings here if at all possible.

No I hear you on that:) Believe me, spent a ton of time with those exact crazy threads here over the years.

I just don't like to make the blanket statement about fat% and AAS to those guys because it just isn't the case, and saying so will erode credibility when/if they research that and figure it out.

We have had plenty of real authority figures piss their credibility away in the last 18-20 months with easily falsifiable statements for me to try and avoid similar happenings here if at all possible.
Ahh okay, I understand what you’re saying.

Lee priest did not use drugs just a couple shots of deca here and there and a winstrol pre workout
He did it on Chiken rice and broccoli only

I think part of it is most of the people on here are coming from a bodybuilder mindset. When they talk about needing to below a certain BF they are saying it referring to how well it will visibly show and not if it will actually"work"

Whether I was blasting or on a more reasonable cruising dosage, cutting progress was more or less the same and not AAS dependant. Diet, CICO, and cardio made much more of an impact than the hormones. This conclusion could have been easily reached without having to subject myself to it.
"Skarpyona, you fat fucking pinecone. If you knew this already, why put yourself through it?"
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I quoted my favorite part of the post.

liked reading the post!!
as others have said, noobs shouldnt read this and take it as an example, you built up muscle over a decade+ and even with 5 years off you still have a way above average number myonuclei saved up and just waiting to contract again. That with discipline, wisdom and experience you gained over time was what gave such a good result.
So yeah if your 120kg, fat noob dont just think you can blitz out on 500mg tren and get shredded.
The doses you used were completely reasonable and even if more would give more physical results, you probably wouldnt notice the difference and feel shittierrr ie high tren high anavar med test.

liked reading the post!!
as others have said, noobs shouldnt read this and take it as an example, you built up muscle over a decade+ and even with 5 years off you still have a way above average number myonuclei saved up and just waiting to contract again. That with discipline, wisdom and experience you gained over time was what gave such a good result.
So yeah if your 120kg, fat noob dont just think you can blitz out on 500mg tren and get shredded.
The doses you used were completely reasonable and even if more would give more physical results, you probably wouldnt notice the difference and feel shittierrr ie high tren high anavar med test.
Yeah not everyone can turn from a fat slob to ripped freak quickly...unless you are superman lol.

Diet, smart training and sensible supps use and time wins the race.

In general agreement with everything said here

but I would also add that I
don’t think fatties should be using gear for the reason being impaired nutrient partitioning. Your body will respond to food exponentially better at a better body composition. Nutrient partitioning is the most important factor of your diet, so if you can’t optimize it, IMO it would be the same as running gear with shitty training or a shitty diet.

because even if your diet is great, it isn’t, because your a higher body fat and not using the food as well as you could be.

The power lifting example I don’t think is a great one. Power lifters do not need to be fat. Fat is not a contractive tissue that contributes anything to their strength. The best powerlifters I know are not fat at all. I think becoming fat as a powerlifter is a sign of laziness. You are now competing with people who possibly have more contractive tissue than you do, as well as you are shorting yourself in your possibilities to progress, because your body doesn’t respond better to gear OR diet when you are fatter, it actually responds worse.

Bodyfat gives no advantage to a powerlifter and only disadvantages them. There is no reason for powerlifters to be fat and their performance and potential for strength and mass gains is exponentially better at a leaner body composition.

With all this being said, it’s a generality of why you shouldn’t run gear fat. I’m not saying fat people have absolutely no place using any PEDs, I’m just saying if your fat and using gear, the goal should be to not be fat anymore. If you were once lean and found yourself with a little extra stomach gains and now your looking for a slight competitive edge to trim down to get back to manageable body composition, all the power to you. @Skarpyona your write up is a perfect example to the exception of the rule.

I just wanted to add that in there so that fat people aren’t tempted to stay fat and run gear. The effects and the gains will always be exponentially less.

And add that powerlifters do not have to be fat, and having higher bodyfat does not give them any competitive edge at all in their training or competitions or diet. It actually does the opposite and hinders their performance and progress, all the time. Being a powerlifter is not a valid excuse to be fat.

In general agreement with everything said here

but I would also add that I
don’t think fatties should be using gear for the reason being impaired nutrient partitioning. Your body will respond to food exponentially better at a better body composition. Nutrient partitioning is the most important factor of your diet, so if you can’t optimize it, IMO it would be the same as running gear with shitty training or a shitty diet.

because even if your diet is great, it isn’t, because your a higher body fat and not using the food as well as you could be.

The power lifting example I don’t think is a great one. Power lifters do not need to be fat. Fat is not a contractive tissue that contributes anything to their strength. The best powerlifters I know are not fat at all. I think becoming fat as a powerlifter is a sign of laziness. You are now competing with people who possibly have more contractive tissue than you do, as well as you are shorting yourself in your possibilities to progress, because your body doesn’t respond better to gear OR diet when you are fatter, it actually responds worse.

Bodyfat gives no advantage to a powerlifter and only disadvantages them. There is no reason for powerlifters to be fat and their performance and potential for strength and mass gains is exponentially better at a leaner body composition.

With all this being said, it’s a generality of why you shouldn’t run gear fat. I’m not saying fat people have absolutely no place using any PEDs, I’m just saying if your fat and using gear, the goal should be to not be fat anymore. If you were once lean and found yourself with a little extra stomach gains and now your looking for a slight competitive edge to trim down to get back to manageable body composition, all the power to you. @Skarpyona your write up is a perfect example to the exception of the rule.

I just wanted to add that in there so that fat people aren’t tempted to stay fat and run gear. The effects and the gains will always be exponentially less.

And add that powerlifters do not have to be fat, and having higher bodyfat does not give them any competitive edge at all in their training or competitions or diet. It actually does the opposite and hinders their performance and progress, all the time. Being a powerlifter is not a valid excuse to be fat.
The best power lifters aren't fat at all? Eddie Hall pushing himself to over 400 was because he was lazy?

The best power lifters aren't fat at all? Eddie Hall pushing himself to over 400 was because he was lazy?

I knew this was going to come up

The basis is still true. His nutrient partitioning is still sub optimal and his response to gear is still sub optimal, as well as the fat he carries still doesn’t expand and contract to equate to extra weight on the bar.

he is trying to optimize his gains with a plethora of food and maximum weight gain, as not to miss on any muscle or strength gain at all due to a potential of becoming too fat. It is not all of the time and if you think that is how he is all the time and that it’s his starting point, you are mistaken.

Also, lots of strong men aren’t really that fat at all. They just have very large body parts with very little detail or insertions in their muscles, and extended stomachs (even when they are lean) so 20% looks like 40%.

931538B1-41EA-4169-9CD8-C8DB7400E0A5.jpeg

The principles of my post are still true. And obviously Eddie hall is not lazy.

Powerlifters who operate as fat all the time and lie to themselves that is just a powerlifters physique, are lazy. The fat on their body does not equate to any more weight on the bar, and definitely does not give them any competitive advantage to progression in strength or lean muscle gains. You can make any excuse you want to stay fat, but that doesn’t make the principles of what I said untrue. And I don’t mean you specifically when I say ‘you’. I don’t know if your fat or not. I mean ‘you’ as a whole in general.

The basis is still true. His nutrient partitioning is still sub optimal and his response to gear is still sub optimal, as well as the fat he carries still doesn’t expand and contract to equate to extra weight on the bar.

he is trying to optimize his gains with a plethora of food and maximum weight gain, as not to miss on any muscle or strength gain at all due to a potential of becoming too fat. It is not all of the time and if you think that is how he is all the time and that it’s his starting point, you are mistaken.

Also, lots of strong men aren’t really that fat at all. They just have very large body parts with very little detail or insertions in their muscles, and extended stomachs (even when they are lean) so 20% looks like 40%.

View attachment 150719

Powerlifters who operate as fat all the time and lie to themselves that is just a powerlifters physique, are lazy. The fat on their body does not equate to any more weight on the bar, and definitely does not give them any competitive advantage to progression in strength or lean muscle gains. You can make any excuse you want to stay fat, but that doesn’t make the principles of what I said untrue. And I don’t mean you specifically when I say ‘you’. I don’t know if your fat or not. I mean ‘you’ as a whole in general.
There not fat there just big boned.

Eddie isnt a Powerlifter.
Apples and oranges.
If you look at his DL WILKS
He is actually lb/lb significantly weaker than a guy like Browner (Or guys like Haack) who is only short 60-80 lbs on his DL from Eddie Hall.
Jamal being 240 lbs
Eddie being 440lbs during his world record lift

You'll see even weight class strongmen like @wsmwannabe are not fat guys.

But at the top level of Strongman... weight moves weight.
Using sheer mass to move the item/bar/truck, whatever... the basic principles of physics.

Most Powerlifters are relativly lean (weighted) until you start getting into Super heavyweight/monsters/unweighted categories where guys like Maddox just need an insane size to move the insane weight.....but with no weight limit... they allow physics to play a part in their lifts.

View attachment 150719

Mostly correct
But mass moves mass
Physics.
Not to argue with you, because you're right, a lean guy at the 195 weight class will do much better than a fat guy at 195 because of their BMI

But speaking in terms of Strongman and Monsters
Pile on the mass to the extreme to assist with momentum and lifts.

You'll see even weight class strongmen like @wsmwannabe are not fat guys.
Thanks for the plug brother! But I mostly agree. Even most of the WSM guys are getting leaner. Look at Brian Shaw, Evan Singleton, Luke and Tom Stoltman, Kevin Faires, Mateus Kielizkowsi (however the fuck you spell his name), Olexii Novikov and the list goes on. These guys are learning that you don't have to be fat as fuck to be WSM.

The reason I say "mostly" is because (and someone is going to misunderstand what I am saying and try to call me out) is that you want a little extra weight do be a competitive strongman. By that I mean you don't need/want to be BB lean. I think most strongman competitors (more specifically "weight classed" competitors, but to an extent it applies to open guys too) need to be around 11-13% for optimal performance. Much less than that and you will risk injury or lethargy/poor conditioning, much more than that and you're filling out your weight class with fat instead of muscle and just slowing yourself down. You're not optimizing your body composition.

Speed/athleticism is becoming much more important in strongman within probably the last 5-10 years. And it's just healthier and easier on your heart

yeah alot of the strongmen are leaning out but i think its more for health reasons like Bryan Shaw wanting to be there for his kids.
Compare Eddie Hall or Thor when they did their deadlifts to like Yuri Belkin, Belkins way more impressive being so much smaller than them.
Also not all fat powerlifters are strong, for every Julius Maddix and Dan Bell you have how many tens of thousands of fattttt weak lifters. Dan green, Yuri belkin, Atwood, that jamal guy and plenty of the top guys are ripped year round mostly.

Thanks for the plug brother! But I mostly agree. Even most of the WSM guys are getting leaner. Look at Brian Shaw, Evan Singleton, Luke and Tom Stoltman, Kevin Faires, Mateus Kielizkowsi (however the fuck you spell his name), Olexii Novikov and the list goes on. These guys are learning that you don't have to be fat as fuck to be WSM.

The reason I say "mostly" is because (and someone is going to misunderstand what I am saying and try to call me out) is that you want a little extra weight do be a competitive strongman. By that I mean you don't need/want to be BB lean. I think most strongman competitors (more specifically "weight classed" competitors, but to an extent it applies to open guys too) need to be around 11-13% for optimal performance. Much less than that and you will risk injury or lethargy/poor conditioning, much more than that and you're filling out your weight class with fat instead of muscle and just slowing yourself down. You're not optimizing your body composition.

Speed/athleticism is becoming much more important in strongman within probably the last 5-10 years. And it's just healthier and easier on your heart

Bingo, nailed the jist of what I was trying to say

But mass moves mass
Physics.
Not to argue with you, because you're right, a lean guy at the 195 weight class will do much better than a fat guy at 195 because of their BMI

But speaking in terms of Strongman and Monsters
Pile on the mass to the extreme to assist with momentum and lifts.

Im in general disagreeance. Fat is not contractive tissue and fat itself will not contract or expand to move weight.

However

From a leverage standpoint, there might be a very small advantage in added leverage being a heavier weight. For example adding 2 inches of depth to your chest is 2 inches less that the bar has to travel down to touch your chest, therefor you start the press closer to the top of the lift and don’t have to move the bar as far as you theoretically would have if you didn’t have that extra 2 inches of depth.

Touching on your point further, a guy who’s 195 pounds with a lean body mass of say 180 pounds is directly comparable to himself at 210 pounds with a lean body mass of the same 180 pounds. The difference being that he will be competing at a heavier weight class with stronger competitors. The unnecessary bodyfat does not advantage him in any way (besides maybe a very small addition of leverage) nor does training at that bodyfat benefit him in terms of progress vs if he was leaner. His response to everything and his results will be exponentially better at a manageable 12-16% bodyfat as opposed to 25-30%. I think comparing 2 different people solely by weight is impossible.

But I don’t believe in mass moves mass in this instance, as fat is not a contractive tissue that is capable of lifting weight by itself, and besides a very small amount of leverage gives you no real competitive advantage, as well as my original point that if you train in that condition all of the time, you will be missing out on lean tissue and strength gains for a plethora of reasons.