Attention Guest: Please make sure that you are using a unique password to login to MESO. If you have used your MESO password on another website, change it immediately. You should NEVER share the same login credentials on multiple websites.

Acne

Discussion in 'Steroid Forum' started by Todd1234, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TheSpectre

TheSpectre Member

Clindamycin is commonly commonly prescribed for acne. Bactrim, not as much. Personally, Rifampin blasted my pus filled cystic acne in a week. Online pharmacies sell antibiotics.

2. Ophydian

Ophydian Member

I just looked Rifampin up and was surprised what it was mainly used for. I’d assume it’s pretty strong since it’s used to treat TB?

3. cfreetenor

cfreetenor Member

What does cystic acne around the jaw indicate hormonally if I’m not now nor ever have been on cycle?

4. Ophydian

Ophydian Member

Ouch.

How old are you? Could be hormonal. You don’t have to cycle to get that.

5. cfreetenor

cfreetenor Member

26. And ouch is right. It seems to flare cyclically so hormonal makes sense. I’ve considered 1mg Letro at the first sign of a flare.

6. Ophydian

Ophydian Member

I couldn’t imagine cystic acne on my face and I’ve never used Letro so I was wondering if a less harsh AI could be used.

7. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Valente Duarte De Sousa IC. New and emerging drugs for the treatment of acne vulgaris in adolescents. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2019:1-16. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14656566.2019.1584182?journalCode=ieop20

INTRODUCTION: Acne vulgaris is the most common skin disease worldwide, yet current treatment options, although effective, are associated with unwanted side effects, chronicity, relapses and recurrences. The adequate control of the four pathogenic mechanisms involved in the appearance of acne lesions is key to treatment success. This paper aims to discuss the novel treatment modalities that have surfaced in consequence of new knowledge obtained in acne pathogenesis.

AREAS COVERED: Pathogenic pathways are evaluated and discussed throughout the paper in relation to the mechanisms of action of novel molecules being investigated for the treatment of acne vulgaris. A comprehensive search was made in PubMed and Clinicaltrial.gov using a different combination of keywords, which included acne vulgaris, treatment, therapy, and therapeutic.

EXPERT OPINION: In the near future, more effective treatments with less side effects are expected. The use of topical anti-androgens, coenzyme-A carboxylase inhibitors, and insulin growth factor-1inhibitors to control sebum production seem promising.

Selective RAR-agonists have the potential of becoming an alternative to the currently available retinoid therapy in the management of infundibular dyskeratosis with a better safety profile. Antibiotic use will probably decline as more effective options for controlling Cutinebacterium acnes colonization and the inflammation cascade emerge.

Attached Files:

8. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

[OA] Severe Acne Fulminans Following Low-Dose Isotretinoin and testosterone Use

Practice Points
    · Acne fulminans, the most severe form of acne, is characterized by deep ulcerations covered by a hemorrhagic crust. It is commonly associated with fever, polyarthralgia, and myopathy caused by rapid weight loss.
    · This rare condition is recognized as a potential complication of oral isotretinoin therapy.

We report the case of a 21-year-old man who was referred to the Department of Dermatology by his primary care physician for evaluation of severe hemorrhagic lesions on the trunk following use of oral isotretinoin (Figure 1).

Prior to development of the lesions, the patient had started weekly intramuscular injections of testosterone 500 mg, which he purchased online without consulting a physician, to address muscle mass reduction associated with sudden weight loss from intense physical training.

After 8 months of testosterone supplementation along with continued physical training, the patient presented to his primary care physician for treatment of acne vulgaris on the back and trunk of 2 months’ duration.

Oral isotretinoin 20 mg once daily was initiated; however, the patient reported that the acne lesions showed progression after 1 month of treatment. Isotretinoin was increased to a more weight-appropriate dosage of 60 mg once daily 2 weeks before admission to our dermatology clinic.

Baranska_AF_1.jpg

Baranska-Rybak W, Mehrholz D, Flis P, Karpinsky G, Sokolowska-Wojdylo M. Severe acne fulminans following low-dose isotretinoin and testosterone use. Cutis 2019;103:E20-e1. Severe Acne Fulminans Following Low-Dose Isotretinoin and Testosterone Use

9. skinnyman

skinnyman Member

What the hell! Is this caused because of contaminated gear ?

10. Ophydian

Ophydian Member

He looks like a burn victim.

Warning do not google acne fulminans and look at images.

11. GruntLife51

GruntLife51 Member

i thought id share my story with you guys as far as acne and AAS use. my first cycle i ran a little long over 16 weeks, like a newb, anyhow i started to break out really bad on back, chest, and shoulders, mildly on neck. id give it about a 7, for whatever its worth. it cleared slightly when i came off and kinda kicked back up while on SERMS.

my skin cleared up almost completely well after pct. i never had perfect skin, i always had a few spots here and there on my back, but it was never cystic.

i ran my second cycle, which was a shorter cycle of i think 8-10 weeks. started to get acne again, but not bad because it was so short it kept it around a 5. i also dabbed with low dose of accutane 20mg EOD which seemed to help. i only ran this for about 4 weeks, and my supplier ran out so i didnt run it like you need to, but hey, it did its job while on. i also had a proper skin protocol which i will discuss below, which was most effective.

my third cycle now, i started taking just test again. i continued my skin protocol which helped tremendously. i also went to a derma, who prescribed me claravis(same thing as accutane)...isotretinoin. he knows i am on testosterone, it was the first thing he asked when i took my shirt off. i am running 40mg ED, i noticed some sides compared to none the last cycle when i was only doing 20mg EOD. the sides consisted of dry lips, which feels different than good ole chapped lips. they cracked at the corners, all in all not horrible at all. also dryish skin, which i use cerave for which isnt oily. i dont really notice any joint pain. after 4 weeks of the claravis i now notice no side effects, and when i dropped the dose to 20mg a day for a few days, the dry lips started to go away. i had forgotten to keep up on my dosage. i am running 40mg ED consistent again and the only thing i notice is the dry lips.

as for the skin care.
    -apple cider vinegar(diluted)
    -thayers witch hazel(i used with rose petal scent)
    -benzoyle peroxide(2.5% or 10%) be careful running 10% can ruin clothes and carpet etc...
    -i also would do stuff with lemon juice from real lemons(helped scars)
    -differin Adapalene .01%....i only tried this with one tube, cant tell ya if it did anything because i was already running accutane
    I did not do all these daily, i rotated them. i usually did two of each a day. i showered at night as normal, and also soft showered in the morning and usually did the witch hazel to get the skin cleared up of any oil from overnight.

in short. there are many things you can do. DO NOT use freaking dish soap. Do not use other types of detergents that can kill good bacteria. stop eating sugar, stop drinking milk!!!! these are the first. if you dont do these then the rest is a waste of time and money. DO NOT take doxycycline. why wreck your immune system and gut health to try an kill acne causing bacteria. moreover if youre putting garbage into your body still?

i think you will, as i had, great results with cutting out processed food and sugar, in addition to a good skin care routine. especially being on gear, you are oily and sweat a lot, which is not good.

my cumulative dose of 40mg ED of isotrentinoin is less than 2,000 per my derma.....he said other people get prescribed 2,3,4-5 times that. i cant imagine that! i dont think its necessary if these other steps are being done, unless in severe rare cases.

if you cant kick the acne thru a diet and skin care routine, i would recommend 20mg isotretinoin EOD, and up it from there. id take it over doxycycline any day.

also, vitamins is another thing to get into, but ill keep it at that for now.

Kim likes this.