Adiponectin & Resistin: A Role in The Hypothalamo-Pituitary Gonadal Axis?

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
[OA] Rak A, Mellouk N, Froment P, Dupont Jl. Adiponectin and resistin: a role in the hypothalamo-pituitary gonadal axis ? Reproduction. http://www.reproduction-online.org/content/early/2017/03/22/REP-17-0002.abstract

Adipokines, including adiponectin and resistin, are cytokines produced mainly by adipose tissue. They play a significant role in the metabolic functions that regulate insulin sensitivity and inflammation.

Alteration of adiponectin and resistin plasma levels, or their expression in metabolic and gonadal tissue, are observed in some metabolic pathologies, such as obesity.

Several studies have shown that these two hormones and the receptors for adiponectin, AdipoR1 and AdipoR2, are present in various reproductive tissues in both sexes of different species.

Thus, these adipokines could be metabolic signals that partially explain infertility related to obesity, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

Species and gender differences in plasma levels, tissue or cell distribution and hormonal regulation have been reported for resistin and adiponectin. Furthermore, until now, it has been unclear whether adiponectin and resistin act directly or indirectly on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis.

The objective of this review was to summarize the latest findings and particularly the species and gender differences known to date of adiponectin and resistin on female and male reproduction, based on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis.

Femara: Letrozole

I've had a lot of people over the years asked me to common questions:

1) I don't think my regular ai dosing is in point... and my estrogen appears to be high how can I bring that down?

&

2) what is letrozole? And how is it best used???

I can sum up both of those questions with one answer...
Letrozole, also known as Femara, is a nonsteroidal competitive inhibitor of the aromatase enzyme system; it inhibits the conversion of androgens to estrogens. There is basically two times when letrozole is best to be used... to bring down high levels of estrogen and gyno side effects (if you have had them then you know how annoying they can be). But letrozole is also great for the finisher of a cycle to dry out. Many body builders use it at the end of their cycles for just that reason, but also many end up using multiple compounds (test, primo, whinny, anavar, major aromatizing compounds, etc) and need something to completely control the levels.

So why don't people use letrozole on a regular basis over other lesser AIs? This is because letrozole is a much more powerful AI, and in many cases to powerful for usage. Letrozole basically kills your estrogen level completely, and properly balanced hormone levels are essential for the body to work correctly.

Helpful Additional Technical Data:
Letrozole is rapidly and completely absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and absorption is not affected by food. It is metabolized slowly to an inactive metabolite whose glucuronide conjugate is excreted renally, representing the major clearance pathway. About 90% of radiolabeled letrozole is recovered in urine. Letrozole's terminal elimination half-life is about 2 days and steady-state plasma concentration after daily 2.5 mg dosing is reached in 2-6 weeks

[OA] Rak A, Mellouk N, Froment P, Dupont Jl. Adiponectin and resistin: a role in the hypothalamo-pituitary gonadal axis ? Reproduction. http://www.reproduction-online.org/content/early/2017/03/22/REP-17-0002.abstract

Adipokines, including adiponectin and resistin, are cytokines produced mainly by adipose tissue. They play a significant role in the metabolic functions that regulate insulin sensitivity and inflammation.

Alteration of adiponectin and resistin plasma levels, or their expression in metabolic and gonadal tissue, are observed in some metabolic pathologies, such as obesity.

Several studies have shown that these two hormones and the receptors for adiponectin, AdipoR1 and AdipoR2, are present in various reproductive tissues in both sexes of different species.

Thus, these adipokines could be metabolic signals that partially explain infertility related to obesity, such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

Species and gender differences in plasma levels, tissue or cell distribution and hormonal regulation have been reported for resistin and adiponectin. Furthermore, until now, it has been unclear whether adiponectin and resistin act directly or indirectly on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis.

The objective of this review was to summarize the latest findings and particularly the species and gender differences known to date of adiponectin and resistin on female and male reproduction, based on the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis.
Increased Adiponectin is a good thing isn't it?

Besides diet+exercise what about adiponectin raising drugs/supplements?
Fibrates and especially niacin can raise adiponectin levels.
Effects of lipid-lowering drugs on adiponectin. - PubMed - NCBI

Back