Anyone else notice 5-MeO-DMT is now classified as a NHP Ingredient?

I run a few supplement brands in Canada and recently became aware that Health Canada has made quite a shocking classification... as of May 2024, they have added 5-MeO-DMT as a Natural Health Product ingredient... this means industry can submit NON-DRUG applications to license a product containing 5-MeO-DMT.

Now, 5-MeO-DMT seems to be classified a controlled substance in Canada. So I'm not sure what on earth is going on. We do have a meeting with Health Canada in the coming 2 weeks to discuss this recent classification because if it's true, it opens the door to so many potential products.

5-MEO-DMT is also known as "The Toad" in Psychedelic circles. Its naturally occuring powerful hallucinogen harvested from the Sanoran Desert Toad.

Then there is also DMT that was first reported synthesized in 1965 by Alexander Shulgin. Sasha and his wife used friends, and themselves, as guinea pigs at UC Berkeley. This DMT is a tryptamine that Shulgin discussed and gave instructions on how to synthesize, along with a couple hundred other powerful psychoactive compounds in his books PiHKAL and TiHKAL.

I've heard people call it "Licking" the Toad, but I believe the way its done is people collect the secretions from the Toad which is then dried and smoked to get the effects their after?

Maybe because its naturally occuring in the Toad is why Canada has made it legal? Maybe the lab version is still illegal?

There's also muscimol which i learned recently isn't scheduled at all except in Australia.

It comes from the mushrooms the shamans in siberia use for their rituals. But they don't actually eat the mushrooms. The reindeer feed on those mushrooms and they collect their piss and drink it, from which all the toxins have already been nicely filtered.

The world is a fascinating place

Just confirmed with Health Canada... 5-MeO-DMT is now classified as a Natural Health Product! This means it can be commercialized and sold LEGALLY without a prescription (non-clinical use only).

Of course the product would need to be Health Canada licensed, and this will be a tough application to justify non-clinical uses. However, I'm already preparing an application for one of my brands as I personally believe this is a game changer.