Career advice

Semiswole33

For a bit of backstory to help whoever may answer my question I’m 25, currently working in a metal factory making automotive bolts and fasteners. I’ve been there sense 19 and it’s my only useful job experince besides fast food during school. Now for the question, ever sense covid has started my company has had us working overtime because everything is so far behind (10h days Monday-Thursday is our normal schedule, overtime is 8 hour days friday/Saturday), and living 1 hour away makes it worse. I’ve had to put a lot of hobbies aside, missed a lot of events and time with friends/family, just overall losing my life it feels like. I don’t hate my job, I take a lot of pride in what I do and make great money, but I’m about ready to give up on this company because of them not fixing obvious shit to get us caught up. Only thing holding me back though is the pay decrease I will have to take switching jobs. Should I stick this out and hope the ot goes away soon, or go elsewhere?

TLDR: Working a shitty schedule sense covid but make great money, don’t want to leave because of pay decrease I’ll take but the company won’t fix there shitty ways to get us caught back up and stop working so much overtime. Leave or go elsewhere?

Find a trade you enjoy. Work for someone until you understand the business, then start your own.

When you’re old you’ll look back and you will miss time spent with family and friends. You won’t miss time spent at a factory job.

If the time you’re putting in is working towards a promotion within the company, maybe. Otherwise find an opportunity closer to home with more time to do things you enjoy with your time. Take your time though and wait for the right gig. Don’t just jump ship first thing because you made the decision if that’s the way you go.

I’m assuming that the overtime is mandatory. Businesses don’t change unless the culture changes from the top or there is a cost savings on the bottom line.

Make a plan to leave. Don’t tell anyone your plan, they’ll discourage you. Good luck.

I'd say only leave if you find something better, that you have a future in.
Leaving for a similar job just to let's say save that 1-2 hours going to the job and back will not be profitable for you in the long run.

When you’re old you’ll look back and you will miss time spent with family and friends. You won’t miss time spent at a factory job.

If the time you’re putting in is working towards a promotion within the company, maybe. Otherwise find an opportunity closer to home with more time to do things you enjoy with your time. Take your time though and wait for the right gig. Don’t just jump ship first thing because you made the decision if that’s the way you go.
I’ve been thinking about moving closer to the city where I work, not a lot of great options around me really. The only reason I’m still with this company is because I can’t find nothing good enough to leave for.

I'd say only leave if you find something better, that you have a future in.
Leaving for a similar job just to let's say save that 1-2 hours going to the job and back will not be profitable for you in the long run.
The drive honestly isn’t the issue, for example my gf wants to do something on a Friday when I get home, but I have to continuously say no due to the fact I have to go to bed at 8pm just for 7 hours of sleep. But yeah definitely not gonna leave out of anger, the only reason I’m still working there is because I haven’t found anything good enough to leave for.