City of Grit's first go at powerlifting

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by Cityofgrit, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Cityofgrit

Cityofgrit Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Thanks @stomps!! I'm glad you posted that post! I like reading stuff like that!!! I'm basically open to try anything but I need to remember where my mindset is...the 3 main lifts and not bodybuilding splits!

Btcowboy and stomps like this.
  2. stomps

stomps Member

Np
    And I agree just remember what your training for.
    Also there is a lot of old threads on here that helped me a lot back then if you can find them it might be worth it to search that far back.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  3. Cityofgrit

I'll start looking! Definitely worth seeing what I can find

NovaFlex likes this.
  4. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

You need to find out where you’re failing first (technique, muscle failure, etc) and address that.

speed work isn’t just for explosiveness, it’s also to hammer in the technique. Every rep should be perfect.

once that’s down, find out what your weaknesses are... Are you a conventional puller? If so, I’d bet a good amount of money that your posterior chain (hams, glutes and low back) are probably your weak points... I say this because most people—myself included, before—don’t train them nearly enough. Hammer them.

I’m not sure how much you DL each week, but if you alternate Dynamic one day and Max effort / volume another day, you will get twice the work in.

when I started deadlifting and training lower twice a week, my squat and DL both shot up pretty fast.

-Back to weaknesses: if you can assess where you feel you’re weak (off the ground, mid pull, lockout) we can all help you with what assistance exercises to focus on.

As a general outline, my lower days look like this (reps/sets depend on what day it is, so I’ll leave those out):

DL
    Leg Press
    Hamstrings / posterior (RDL, lying leg curls, GHR)
    -I rotate exercises every few weeks
    Glutes / Low back (Back extensions usually)
    Upper back work
    -some sort of row or pull down

Also, if you want a big DL, work your back EVERY DAY that you train. Seriously. I can’t stress that enough...You don’t have to go all out on your “other” days, but even 2-4 sets of 8-10 reps on some pull downs or machine rows will help that little bit of growth.

This is all I have at the moment, man... But this is what has busted my plateau and brought me over the 600 mark.

5. KL8209

KL8209 Member

Good job brother and it's only up from here. Keep going hard and I have no doubt you'll get where you want to be.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  6. Cityofgrit

What's the consensus, would it be fine for me to go into a 6 week bodybuilding program as a change of pace?

7. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

If you feel like you need it, sure. I've tried to do that after meets and never managed to stick to it.

Worf likes this.
  8. Worf

Worf Member

You can use it like a deload. I would normally end up back to lifting heavy after 2-3 weeks after the fatigue dissipated

Cityofgrit and Btcowboy like this.
  9. Cityofgrit

Fuck. It's tough doing bodybuilding workouts again. More reps and sets and less rest between.

Oldschool, Btcowboy, NovaFlex and 4 others like this.
  10. Worf

Worf Member

It’s called a hyper trophy/conditioning block in these parts

11. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

If I’m not doing heavy accessories I try to do 30-45 sec rests in between...shit kills me.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  12. Cityofgrit

I'm thinking of running some tren a while I do the hypertrophy/ conditioning block. I've never run tren before...well I did for a couple weeks then dropped it. I was going to run 300 a week....what do you guys think?

NovaFlex likes this.
  13. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

I never ran Ace because I was told the fluctuation of the hormone levels created worse sides... I love Tren E though. It’s been stable for me, and I grew like hell on just 400mgs.

Starting at that low dose is a good call tho, especially for Ace.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  14. Cityofgrit

Yeah, I tend to be a little high strung lol so I'm trying to avoid turning into a dick on tren. I have npp and tren but I've run npp before and tren seems like a better option at this point

15. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

Just watch out becoming lethargic. That’s my worst side on Tren, honestly—I’m tired all the fucking time.

16. Cityofgrit

Caffeine help at all?

17. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

Yeah for a while. It’s more the fact of not feeling ‘refreshed’ when you wake up...just feels like I didn’t even sleep.

but, I’m not sure if it’s 100% the tren or 50/50 with my shitty overnight schedule.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  18. KL8209

KL8209 Member

What time is your schedule/shift typically?

I've done evenings, midnights and early AM over the years. Still on early AM. I'm up around 2~230 and at my first stop around 3~330ish. I LOVE being on an early morning schedule. Trying to fall asleep around 6ish pm can suck but I find you can get into a decent rhythm and I feel pretty normal.

When I was on midnights years ago I couldn't sleep worth shit and always felt lethargic and horrible. It always was hit or miss whether I could actually get to sleep or not and I'd just lay there for hours. No matter how much sleep I got it always seemed like I was going on none. Hated it. Did that for two solid years. Never again.

NovaFlex likes this.
  19. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

Unfortunately, I work 5-5. I’ll be on this schedule for at least another year. Trying to sleep during the day is a nightmare for me—my body wants to be up with the sun. That, and my 5 year old thinks it’s play time at 7 am on the weekends. Lol

KL8209 and Btcowboy like this.
  20. Cityofgrit

I'm not going to log my hypertrophy block.. I'm just running John Meadows Colossus program. It's 6 weeks long and you still get some pretty decent intensity. Once I finish I will start running another powerlifting program. I plan on keeping this as my permanent powerlifting log. Powerlifting will be my main goal but I will sprinkle in bodybuilding once or twice a year.

KL8209, Btcowboy and NovaFlex like this.