City of Grit's first go at powerlifting

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by Cityofgrit, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

One of the good things about that DUP you get lots of practice doing the lifts.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  2. Cityofgrit

Cityofgrit Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

You give me positive inspiration @Perrin Aybara! I was going to go back to bodybuilding after this little meet but I honestly don't want to give up powerlifting. I have weights I want to hit and I cant stop until I do....then when I do, those weights will go up again. You guys have turned me into a powerlifter

3. Cityofgrit

I could definitely use that to get better at my cues and perfect my foot positions and form

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  4. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

No need to “go back”, have the best of both worlds and just program in a few volume blocks every year.

5. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

It's a long process. I'm still trying to perfect my bench and deadlift form. Ironically I feel like my squat form is near textbook and it's my worst lift numbers wise in relation to the other two.

Worf and Cityofgrit like this.
  6. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

That too. Better not to powerlift year round really from an injury standpoint.

Worf, Cityofgrit and NovaFlex like this.
  7. Cityofgrit

My bench isn't where I would like it to be. I still don't have much leg drive and I'm still working on using my lats more. I'm so used to bodybuilding benching where you focus primarily on chest involvement. I'm missing out on a lot of muscle recruitment for big numbers.

8. Same issue here.
    I find myself really focusing on the chest contractions with a flat back, zero lay involvement a and no leg drive.

Old habits die hard lol

Cityofgrit likes this.
  9. Worf

Worf Member

DUP can be a generic term. DUP is the next step to take when LP stalls. Only so many resets you can do and still make progress. 5/3/1, TM, H-M-L, JUGGERNAUT Cube, Lillibridge, Conjugate, Candito are all forms of DUP.

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  10. KL8209

KL8209 Member

I read this as John Wick and was 100% thrown off only becoming more and more confused as you both continued to converse about this for multiple posts. I ended up re-reading the posts a good four-five times before I realized I misread it.

Cityofgrit, Worf and Perrin Aybara like this.
  11. Worf

Worf Member

Keanu gets down in the rack

Silentlemon1011 and KL8209 like this.
  12. KL8209

KL8209 Member

lol I was genuinely thinking I must've missed something in one of the movies

Not joking had I not realized I read it incorrectly I likely would've started skimming through the movies on netflix for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity

Worf likes this.
  13. Cityofgrit

I've been running Juggernaut LP and I'm interested in running a form of DUP. I fell like I could use more time with the big 3 than I am getting from a linear progression

14. Worf

Worf Member

There’s other versions on Juggernaut. Theres one thats a 5/3/1 hybrid. There’s also tons of H-M-L programs out there to choose from like Sheiko is probably the most notable. Calgary barbell 16 week is a good one as well. Personally I think we all come to a point where running cookie cutter programs aren’t going to cut it. At that point its time to start creating our own programs based on what works and what needs improving most.

15. stomps

stomps Member

@city
    Haven't read all thru this thread bit plan on it good luck.
    Oh how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking and what's you lifts at now.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  16. Cityofgrit

I weigh 173 lbs. I lost some weight. My bench is at 320, my squat 340, my deadlift is at 425.
    I am thinking my squat may be higher now and I'm going to find out this weekend at this little non formal meet I'm in.

17. Cityofgrit

It's taper week....

Tuesday

Low bar squat

325 lbs. 1 × 1 (wasn't supposed to do this and did it without a belt. I wanted to gauge where I could get to at the meet.)

235 lbs. 2 × 3

Comp. bench

245 lbs. 3 × 1
    220 lbs. 2 × 5

Conventional deadlift

250 lbs. 5 × 1

Wednesday

Goblet squat

75 lbs. 3 × 8

3 second paused bench

185 lbs. 3 × 7

Dumbbell RDL

75 lbs. 3 × 8

Hanging leg raises

5 × 9

KL8209, NovaFlex, Worf and 4 others like this.
  18. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

Looking forward to seeing your new and bigger numbers!!!!!!
    You are going to smash shit like a boss!

19. Cityofgrit

I'm hoping so!! Tendonitis is bothering me on bench a bit though. Thanks for the pep talk!!

KL8209, Oldschool, NovaFlex and 2 others like this.