• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Comparing the Different Bench Press Angles- Flat vs Decline vs Incline

Since we are on the subject of dips, if one were to Measure strength on dips, should the total amount lifted + body weight count as a total? If one guy weighs 200lbs and another 150lbs and both have 90lbs for example , who would be considered stronger in that lift?

The lighter guy - if he's a vegan and a crossfitter.

The heavier guy if we're in the real world.

Dips with that much weight would rip the shit out of my shoulders

The spinal decompression with a heavy weight belt on is SOOOO nice though. Chiropractic actually, I've had my back pop in place when doing them.

I've only added two plates to my dips, so that's 310lbs total for 5-6 reps.

What's stupid about it? Ross is seen doing with 5 plates at the start of this video (sorry for the crappy music). He's not a huge guy, but you still have to add his weight to that.

How can someone be more impressed by bench pressing x weight than by pressing x weight overhead? The latter is vastly more difficult. And how can someone be more impressed by bench pressing x weight than by dipping the same? The dip is harder, since you are also lifting your body weight, which should be a good couple of plates more.

I find nothing of what this guy does stupid.

This guy doesn't eat enough - or something - with the stuff he does, I expected him to be way bigger. Very impressive, but looks like Crossfit.... :) I can't do crap with a jump rope, not coordinated enough, I don't dance either.

Sadly I'm only one plate away ha ha ha.

Well, maybe less, I work out with one plate for sets of 8 reps at the moment, so I could definitely do more for singles. Still, strict OHP with bodyweight (220 atm) would be awesome.

I've hit 215x1 a couple times lately and then missed 225lbs. Shouldn't be long.

Edit: That's a strict, standing overhead press, by the way, starting with the bar at rest on my upper chest. Not the shit you see at the gym where they're seated and only going down to their forehead or maybe chin with the bar.

This guy doesn't eat enough - or something - with the stuff he does, I expected him to be way bigger. Very impressive, but looks like Crossfit.... :) I can't do crap with a jump rope, not coordinated enough, I don't dance either.

"That guy" is Ross Enamait, a well-known boxing trainer and author of several books on training. He has probably forgotten more about training than everyone on this thread put together has ever learned.

One of his trainees, Katie Taylor, defended the WBA World Female Lightweight Title just yesterday.

Katie Taylor - 2017 Dec 13.jpg

There's a huge difference between training for athletic performance and training to look swole.

A lot of guys say stay away from flat barbell presses because it puts too much strain on the shoulders and can lead to injury if you bench like a bodybuilder. The fact is not everybody's body mechanics are the same. Some guys are able to activate their pecs on flat barbell and some can't. I can activate my pecs well on flat barbell, but barbell incline destroys my rotator cuffs. To answer the question at least for me, flat barbell ,incline dumbell.

Exactly the same for me, flat barbell, incline dumbbell.

Don't like declined barbells at all but dumbbells aren't bad.