• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

correcting someones bad form

stevonov

10+ Year Member
Do you guys help people out when you see them doing dumb shit in the gym? im always real nice about how i go about it and some appreciate it but others look like shit and basically tell me know what they are doing. Am i the asshole for not minding my business? after all the training videos i watch and the waisted years doing stuff wrong i feel like its my old man duty to help these kids lol.

If you are the asshole for not minding your business, then I'm not sure what that makes of me for feeling a sense of superiority over their peasant's form and secretly wishing they would get injured for violating the sanctity of lifting with their pleb's presence.

As a general rule, if it's a girl lifting I will check her form extensively but say nothing. If it's a guy lifting, I'll just ignore it. The only exception for me is when I see kids (actual kids, early teens) or newcomers making gross mistakes, because they don't know any better. I doubt they appreciate it though.

Overall, I'd say let natural selection have its course, but if you must, give them a hot-fix and let them know they can ask for help/advice if they need to. Then you'll get to experience the disappointment of watching them make even more stupid mistakes, and regret having said anything in the first place.

If you are the asshole for not minding your business, then I'm not sure what that makes of me for feeling a sense of superiority over their peasant's form and secretly wishing they would get injured for violating the sanctity of lifting with their pleb's presence.
Glad I’m not the only one who wishes injury on people - not everyone though, but the typical smart ass know it all or the obnoxious jerk. I used to offer advice and still will with someone who is humble and you can tell they need help, but for the most part I just shake my head.

Generally, I think it's best to leave people alone. I've seen people attempt to help others at the gym and it's all pretty cringeworthy... Rarely are people qualified to actually coach someone on their form.

I leave people alone, but have an ifbb pro who lifts at my gym and the guy is super cool. Helps everyone he sees doing things wrong, and is always there to answer questions. I guess the custom belt and pro status carries weight when it comes to advice.

I leave idiots be idiots as far as ego lifting and bad form go, as long as it’s not a kid like @BalrogRebel said, we were all beginners once without a clue. I was once the 19yr old kid in the YMCA who had no knowledge of what “propper form” was. The only time I get a little pissed is when I see idiots fucking around that can damage the equipment, especially the damn cable machines. Idiots love the cable crossover for some reason lol.

99% of the people i saw in the gym are brainless natty that believe they ll get a jacked body lifting weights for years and they disrespect people who they think are on PED...i always Hear stupid bullshit, when they re reading rediculous “gym notepapers” (dont know the right term) C mon bro we have to do 20 x 4 then 15 x 5 and so on.. done by skinny fat motherfuckers “gym trainers” ... i watch them drinking shakes thinking they re drinking some myostatin inhibitors... so i couldnt care less about what they re doing...

I can suggest them to run a cycle of pure Cortisol and Estradiol for 12 months straight...

I really wish I had the balls to correct someone’s form because I’d say 75% of the gym is doing some dumb shit.

especially since I blew a disc in my back when I was 17 and had multiple surgeries. I literally feel my disc slide watching some people lift... like who the fuck taught you some of that form

99% of the people i saw in the gym are brainless natty that believe they ll get a jacked body lifting weights for years and they disrespect people who they think are on PED...i always Hear stupid bullshit, when they re reading rediculous “gym notepapers” (dont know the right term) C mon bro we have to do 20 x 4 then 15 x 5 and so on.. done by skinny fat motherfuckers “gym trainers” ... i watch them drinking shakes thinking they re drinking some myostatin inhibitors... so i couldnt care less about what they re doing...

I can suggest them to run a cycle of pure Cortisol and Estradiol for 12 months straight...
I don’t think as many people are as natty as you think either. I believe a ton of people are oon some type of oreformence enhancer, not steroids in particular but They just don’t know what they’re doing.

I don’t think as many people are as natty as you think either. I believe a ton of people are oon some type of oreformence enhancer, not steroids in particular but They just don’t know what they’re doing.

Ain't that the truth. We read it all the time around here. Some 22 year old running a gram and half for their second or 3rd cycle. And only weighing a a buck 60.

Do you guys help people out when you see them doing dumb shit in the gym? im always real nice about how i go about it and some appreciate it but others look like shit and basically tell me know what they are doing. Am i the asshole for not minding my business? after all the training videos i watch and the waisted years doing stuff wrong i feel like its my old man duty to help these kids lol.

No. Unless someone specifically asks me for help I'm headphones on, music up loud and no fucks given. If they ask, sure, I'll give them some tips.

There's no way that I'm wasting my time correcting some ego lifter's cat-back deadlift form. If they want to blow their spine out lifting like a retard, so be it. People with atrocious form are generally not receptive to criticism anyway (hence the atrocious form).

Well, I tried helping someone and this one answered me in a mean way. It happened many times with other people, so I decided to not give a duck anymore

I really wish I had the balls to correct someone’s form because I’d say 75% of the gym is doing some dumb shit.

especially since I blew a disc in my back when I was 17 and had multiple surgeries. I literally feel my disc slide watching some people lift... like who the fuck taught you some of that form
100% get the same feeling. Did my L5 and L2 a few years back, actually makes you wince when you see a bad form for deads.

No. Unless someone specifically asks me for help I'm headphones on, music up loud and no fucks given. If they ask, sure, I'll give them some tips.

There's no way that I'm wasting my time correcting some ego lifter's cat-back deadlift form. If they want to blow their spine out lifting like a retard, so be it. People with atrocious form are generally not receptive to criticism anyway (hence the atrocious form).
This. The ego lifters usually have a EXTREMELY fragile ego... I’m the Pussy for using form and not using speed repS on every set.Ok mang o_O

the funny part is ill be watching fouad abiad doing low rows on you tube and i picture myself being there in person and telling him that its not a pendullum and ease up on the momentum lol. how would an ifbb pro with 100 more pounds of muscle then me react to that lol.

i later watched john meadows correct him on something similar in a video lol. you have to wonder if being a little sloppy to go heavier helped some pros or would have they been better being strict.