Cowboy's Switch the Darkside

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by Btcowboy, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

I agree bad idea, no thought put into and an accident waiting to happen and it did.I liked SSB better, but videod SSB and think I was still leaning over. I will edit the video and post

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  2. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Light weight just testing SSB as never done before and want to see if i am more upright

NovaFlex, Worf and Perrin Aybara like this.
  3. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

That actually looks pretty good. You just need to learn to mimic that for high bar if that's what you're gonna go with.

Worf and Btcowboy like this.
  4. Worf

Worf Member

It seems li,e the deadlift progress isn’t enough for you and the bench is a bit much. That’s the issue with these programs. They are general and don’t always work the same for everyone. Maybe you can up the Training Max on dead’s and lower it a bit on bench?

5. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

That's what I was thinking too. I was also thinking do specialized blocks. X number of weeks bench priority, so bench Mon and Fri squat and DL Wed. Then squat priority , squat Mon and Fri Bench and DL Wed. DL priority same as above.

Silentlemon1011 and Worf like this.
  6. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

I tend to squat mid-high bar as well, and I found that after doing a 3 week block of front squats, my body automatically wanted to stay more upright. It may work for u with SSB, as they’re basically the same concept.

speaking of which, I gotta do another block here soon.

Silentlemon1011, Btcowboy and Worf like this.
  7. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Well I am deloading a bit next week so front or SSB it will be and light weight if front squats. I found my fingers are sore from flexing backwards, not to mention the bar slipped out at 225. SSB felt really comfortable. I may continue 3 weeks this way as well

8. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Thinking about my comment... It is amazing hoe once you get rolling on these programs you start to see the flaws in them as far as how you respond to them differently. I guess you could call it maturing in the sport/training and learning what works and doesn't work for you

Worf likes this.
  9. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Programming and Plan or path forward

Continue to cut until I hit 200lbs should only be a couple months if I don't stray. Bemch and squat seem to be the only 2 having issue with the cut, deadlift so far hasnt suffered.

I am going to deload a bit next week. Its my 5x5 week so not a big issue as intensity is down. Squats will be front or SSB for the next few weeks so weight will be lighter. The following week I intend to go for a 1RM on deadlift, gonna break 500 and see where I can get it up to. Will start drol then var on the 24th after blood donation this week. Once I PR deadlift I will probably switch to 3 week block of bench priority then alternate between them 3 weeks at a time see how that works for me.

Worf and Silentlemon1011 like this.
  10. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Weight today is unchanged still at 215.4.
    A little less cardio this week due to extra sleep. Didnt get much due to fire hall duties. Food wasnt too bad I thought. Had refeed Sunday night, some lasagna. Had 1 small bag of chips at the fire hall, and 2 chocolate chip granola bars preworkout.

This week will keep diet in check, cycle off ephedrine, keep cardio up, donate blood and start Anadrol. I really want to get off this cut, even more so if I am not dropping weight lol.

Supposed to be my last week at my current job. Also supposed to start a better job on the following Tuesday.

Perrin Aybara and Worf like this.
  11. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Opinions?

So as mentioned I was thinking of doing some kind of lift focus blocks. I am in the process of making the program up. Right now, as I want the first focus to be bench, it is kind of a hybrid of Smolov and 531.

NOTE: A work in progress and not starting until after I set my DL PR in a week or so.

Week 1
    Monday
    Bench 6x6@70%
    Tricep acc
    Wednesday
    Squat 5x3 up to 85%
    Deadlift 5x3 up to 85%
    Friday
    Bench 7x5@75%
    Shoulder acc

Week 2
    Monday
    Bench 8x4@80%
    Tricep acc
    Wednesday
    Squat 5x5 up to 80%
    Deadlift 5x5 up to 80%
    Friday
    Bench 10x3 @85%
    Shoulder acc

Week 3
    Monday
    Bench 6x6@75%
    Tricep acc
    Wednesday
    Squat 5x3 up to 85%
    Deadlift 5x3 up to 85%
    Friday
    Bench 7x5@80%
    Shoulder acc

Week 4
    Monday
    Bench 8x4@85%
    Tricep acc
    Wednesday
    Squat 5x5 up to 80%
    Deadlift 5x5 up to 80%
    Friday
    Bench 10x3@90%
    Shoulder acc

Then switch to next block swapping bench and squat around, then squat and deadlift.

12. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I don't see the need for it. It's the calorie deficit that's keeping progression from happening. You're probably gonna have to just be happy with maintaining your bench and squat and maybe progressing on deadlift until a time when you're eating at maintenance or better. Deadlift is less calorie dependent in my experience.

Silentlemon1011 and Btcowboy like this.
  13. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Copy that, maybe look at it in a few months when I am done cutting. Thanks for keeping my head on straight lol

14. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

All good. Don't ever think I'm trying to be a dick. I just see a lot of mistakes I made early on. Got in my head too much, switched programs a lot or tried to alter them right away. Just find something and run it as is, no thinking. It's what I'm doing with Shekio currently and it's a huge relief from all the overthinking and second guessing. I'm just trusting the program. No stress.

15. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

I agree and don't take your comments as being a dick. In fact your then reason i am powerlifting now and welcome all your advice whether I like what I hear or not lol.

Cutting on a BB program I know what I am doing and what to expect, not so much on powerlifting. This is first cut running a PL program

16. Sheiko seems tough in the body
    Dont know if I could keep up with that regiment while off cycle.

17. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

You can expect pain and suffering, second guessing all the reasons you got into powerlifting, considering giving it up a few times, feeling weak and/or small. Then eventually getting through it and looking leaner and your lifts start going up again and it's all worth it. Kinda being funny, but really also dead serious.

Some people don't handle the volume well. I respond better to higher volume and lower intensity. I'm having problems at the moment because I accumulated some injuries late last year and my job is extremely physically demanding. The workouts seem fairly easy, but my body isn't cooperating.

We had a contract to move an entire courthouse over the weekend. They agreed to pay seven guys four eight hour days. We did it in two days with six guys. So much heavy shit. That combined with squat and deadlift over the weekend really aggravated my back. Now I'm laid up wondering how I'm gonna make it through this week.

Silentlemon1011 and Btcowboy like this.
  18. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Its like your in my head, this is exactly how I have been feeling lol

19. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I guess it's having the mental fortitude to keep on instead of giving up that separates us from the causal lifter that never makes it out of beginner stage. Just have to shut out the stupid inner voices.

I'm having a hard time with how my back is feeling. I'm half convinced it's something major. Already planning my bench only training for the next few months if necessary. Always gotta move forward with something. If I can't squat or deadlift it'll be a good time to get after that 455x1 bench.

Right now you're moving forward with getting lean. Realistically your strength isn't going up, but you can progress on getting lean, you can progress on mastering your form, you can progress on mobility. You're not stagnant even if your numbers aren't going up. You have to learn to step back and think of all the aspects of strength training. Even if your numbers aren't going up right now you can be building a foundation for them to go up later. It's hard to think of things like that, but it's true. It's not just about your big three numbers going up all the time. Hope that makes sense and helps.

20. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Word to live by right there.

Your so right on form... both bench and squat need that work... my buddy spotting me at 265 bench last week said my left side is way lower than right on the way up