Current cutting progress would like some advice.

Without accurate data you are just spinning your wheels. I learned this the hard way.

Does it make me an asshole then when I point out that a 20% variance in the caloric composition in food labels is acceptable?

The point is still valid, though. People often think they're in a deficit but fail to account for that 800 calorie drink they get from Starbucks every morning and wonder why they aren't losing weight.

This is where consistency comes into play.

Idgaf how wrong the nutrition label is of chicken Turkey and rice. I weigh and eat the same amount day after day after day.
Exactly, for everyone who have done a couple of bulks and cuts, we know that eating the same amount and using the same measurement methodology and units will provide consistent numbers no matter what.

As long as there’s no variations, there will be no significant difference.

Idgaf how wrong the nutrition label is of chicken Turkey and rice. I weigh and eat the same amount day after day after day.

Yeah, I just had to play the 'well, actually' card. Fundamentally, the whole process is imprecise. It's impossible to precisely measure calories out and calories in is slightly less impossible, but you're right, consistency is key. Measure and eat the things consistently and if the scale is moving down week by week, congratulations, there's your deficit.

Does it make me an asshole then when I point out that a 20% variance in the caloric composition in food labels is acceptable?

It doesn't matter.

Why?

Because you are going to weigh it and enter it into MyFitnessPal. Who cares if it is off by 20%, let's say high? Now you have your calories in there this week.

You lose two pounds. Cool. Still tracking, and still recording with that 20% high number.

Next week, however, you stall. So you pull out some carbs and maybe add a little cardio.

So when you weigh your Jasmin rice, and put a little back in the container compared to the last two weeks, and now you are eating less Jasmin rice, but you are still measuring it by putting it on that food scale. Yep, less grams of rice. When you record it in MyFitnessPal, it is still 20% high, as compared to some scientific lab measurement, but, again, this does not matter, because you are weighing it and measuring it and now you are eating less of it.

If the label is 20% high it does not matter. You are tracking and reducing (or increasing, on a bulk) relative to what you ate the week before. The label accuracy does not, therefore, matter.

At the end of the week you are two pounds less regardless of the label reading 20% high.

So you keep your rice weight the same for the coming week, until you drop below your desired weight loss for the week, at which point you make another adjustment.

Never once do we demand that the label be accurate. We just weigh and make changes based on the scale, and the tape measure around our waist, and the progress photographs.

It doesn't matter.

Why?

Because you are going to weigh it and enter it into MyFitnessPal. Who cares if it is off by 20%, let's say high? Now you have your calories in there this week.

You lose two pounds. Cool. Still tracking, and still recording with that 20% high number.

Next week, however, you stall. So you pull out some carbs and maybe add a little cardio.

So when you weigh your Jasmin rice, and put a little back in the container compared to the last two weeks, and now you are eating less Jasmin rice, but you are still measuring it by putting it on that food scale. Yep, less grams of rice. When you record it in MyFitnessPal, it is still 20% high, as compared to some scientific lab measurement, but, again, this does not matter, because you are weighing it and measuring it and now you are eating less of it.

If the label is 20% high it does not matter. You are tracking and reducing (or increasing, on a bulk) relative to what you ate the week before. The label accuracy does not, therefore, matter.

At the end of the week you are two pounds less regardless of the label reading 20% high.

So you keep your rice weight the same for the coming week, until you drop below your desired weight loss for the week, at which point you make another adjustment.

Never once do we demand that the label be accurate. We just weigh and make changes based on the scale, and the tape measure around our waist, and the progress photographs.
Maybe we ought to demand accuracy and transparency on food labels. I’m just saying.

undamentally, the whole process is imprecise. It's impossible to precisely measure calories out and calories in is slightly less impossible,
Of course its imprecise. As long as you use the same scale, eat the same foods and record everything you put in your mouth you will have data. Then regardless how "precise" this is compared to a mass spectrometer or your individual metabolic adaptation you can make changes.

Back