Do Bench Press on the Floor

OldGHGuy

If you're over 40 and especially if you've already had shoulder issues, try doing flat bench press on the floor! I switched to this method years ago and my shoulders have been much better for it, with no noticeable negative effect on results.

I simply set my bar up on the outside of my power rack, lay on the floor, and bench. The floor provides perfect support for the shoulders and limits the range of motion such that one can really focus on the pecs and tris. I can no longer do flat bench so this has been a great addition to my routine. And if people around you think it looks funny - f them!

meh this is a gay lift. youre better off using a machine that offers tension in the stretched position thats comfortable. A bench press method that offers no mechanical tension in the stretch sounds like an exercise in futility.

meh this is a gay lift. youre better off using a machine that offers tension in the stretched position thats comfortable. A bench press method that offers no mechanical tension in the stretch sounds like an exercise in futility.
Not at all. But if you prefer more manly, heterosexual ways to destroy your shoulders as an older lifter - go for it!

I’m not over 40 and might try this.
I’ve got terrible shoulders thanks to my father and he always preaches to stay away from flat bench. I still do it every now and then but do try to stay away from it because I don’t want to be going through a bunch of shoulder surgeries at 50+ like he is.

I am 64 and gave up straight bar presses in my 30's. As they did enough damage to my shoulders by that point. I found dumbbells much more ergonomic. And as the stretch portion of a given load seems to have the biggest effect on muscle fiber recruitment. I use machines that will allow me to move what ever weight i can through the complete range of motion that i still have. Floor presses can be effective but it seems a higher load is needed to recruit the same amount of fibers that one can achieve with a lighter load with a deeper range of motion.

Back