Draining your own blood at home

These aren't the BD ones, but it's the same function. Hope this helps... A lot of websites require a medical license, but this one does not. Let me know if you need any help with the whole process, I've mastered it by now.

If I don't find somewhere up here in Canada I'll give them a try. Please describe process, thanks a lot brother.

I do this frequently and it's very easy to do... Just buy BD butterfly needles with a luer-lok connection, then pull the blood with whatever size syringe you like (I find the 20ml syringes to be easiest to use). I would recommend 18g needles.

I cringe at the thought of extracting blood at 20ml intervals. It doesn't just flow out?

In the kit a posted a page back, that method I'm assuming it just flows out into the 600ml bag.

In your method the other end attaches via luer-lok and you just pull up the plunger ?

I cringe at the thought of extracting blood at 20ml intervals. It doesn't just flow out?

In the kit a posted a page back, that method I'm assuming it just flows out into the 600ml bag.

In your method the other end attaches via luer-lok and you just pull up the plunger ?
20mls isn't really that much, the average donation is about 470mls. I would avoid going that high, unless you had a good reason for it.

Either way, draining your blood in an attempt to lower RBC levels is somewhat useless as they rebound very quickly..

The way it attaches is butterfly needle -> hose w/ luerlok female end -> Luerlok male end syringe. Then, yes, you GENTLY pull the plunger back. This method of blood withdrawal has been done for quite some time, before vacuum tubes were readily available. It's completely safe and far more efficient than doing tubes if you're not testing the blood.

If I don't find somewhere up here in Canada I'll give them a try. Please describe process, thanks a lot brother.
It's really simple... Find your vein of choice, I would do the cephalic vein, or, secondarily i would opt for the median cubital vein. Then, simply clean the area with an alcohol swab. Screw the end of the hose to the syringe and unsheath the needle. Stick your needle into the vein, roughly 30 degree angle, and grab your syringe. Then, slowly draw back the plunger, you will see blood start to fill the hose before pulling the plunger (this will let you know you are "in" the vein.) Also, this part is easier with a partner, if possible, but can be done alone.

You CAN do this in your hand, but it's a little more risky and hurts more. I would opt for the inner elbow areas.

Then, do whatever you are planning to do with the drawn blood.

1615241553831.png

It's really simple... Find your vein of choice, I would do the cephalic vein, or, secondarily i would opt for the median cubital vein. Then, simply clean the area with an alcohol swab. Screw the end of the hose to the syringe and unsheath the needle. Stick your needle into the vein, roughly 30 degree angle, and grab your syringe. Then, slowly draw back the plunger, you will see blood start to fill the hose before pulling the plunger (this will let you know you are "in" the vein.) Also, this part is easier with a partner, if possible, but can be done alone.

You CAN do this in your hand, but it's a little more risky and hurts more. I would opt for the inner elbow areas.

View attachment 143430

Hmmm I think I'll opt for the method where it's just the butterfly pin and line and I'll just drain into a jar or bottle freely. Now just have to find this shit online lol. Thank you for the explanation my brother :)

View attachment 143430

Found this BD 368652 Vacutainer Safety-Lok Blood Collection Set with Pre-Attached Holder 21G x 0.75" needle 12" tubing, BX/25, BX

But it uses a 21g needle?

Last edited:
This is a good place for this:

“Blood Letting” – Self-phlebotomy in injecting anabolic-androgenic steroids within Performance and Image Enhancing Drug (PIED) culture​

van Hout, MC, Brennan, R and Wells, J (2018) “Blood Letting” – Self-phlebotomy in injecting anabolic-androgenic steroids within Performance and Image Enhancing Drug (PIED) culture. International Journal of Drug Policy, 55. pp. 47-50. ISSN 0955-3959

Abstract​

Background
New evidence with regard to a previously undocumented practice – self phlebotomy, known as ‘bloodletting’ – incontemporary injecting performance and image enhancing drug (PIED) culture is the subject of this paper. While self phlebotomy has been evidenced in psychiatric patients previously, it was performed here in people who inject AAS as a self directed health care procedure.
Methods
Data was collected from five publicly accessible internet discussion forums and coded using NVivo software. For the purposes of this study, posts in relation to bloodletting were extracted from the final set of records for analysis
Results
Motivation to perform bloodletting or to ‘self – bleed’ was largely grounded in experiencing symptoms of high blood pressure or a high red blood cell count (RBC).Instructions on how to perform bloodletting were found within discussion threads.
Conclusion
This study is intended to provide the first snapshot of online communal activity around practice of self-phlebotomy or bloodletting amongst people who inject AAS. Further research in this area is warranted, and will be of benefit to healthcare workers, treatment providers and policy makers particularly as this relates to evidence informed and targeted harm reduction policies and effective public health interventions.

Attachments

Either way, draining your blood in an attempt to lower RBC levels is somewhat useless as they rebound very quickly..
Just for what it's worth, I have not found that to be the case, assuming I was high, as in significantly outside the reference range, and I pull the numbers significantly lower, as in well within the reference range.

I find I then stay within the reference range for months. so I would not describe the rebound as very quick given the assumptions I have laid out above.

Also, for folks reading, just because they take your whole blood does not mean that they use your whole blood. They separate out the components and use them individually.

Transfusion of whole blood is something they do in lower income countries. This is not 1917.

That is incorrect. I was 191, after donation I was 177 and felt WAY BETTER, but still felt "off" as I didn't donate enough to get my numbers as low as I wanted. The range for me us 140-180 so 177 is still high, at least for me. If I got my hemoglobin down to 160 I'm 100% sure I would have felt absolutely amazing till my next donation 56 days later. I'll be donation every 56 day for now on and following up with bloodwork after as well so I can post up helpful numbers.

There's also studies that show that regular blood letting extends one's life as it forces your body to make fresh blood and it's believed that is why women tend to live longer than men world wide, because they spend a good portion of their lives getting rid of old blood and making fresh.

Sponsors

Latest posts

Back