Epidemic of Poor Lifting Technique

Astartes

Frustrated with the Decline in Proper Lifting Technique? Here’s What’s Going Wrong

Over 35 Years of Lifting, Painful Mistakes Included: I’ve been lifting for about 3.5 decades. Unfortunately, for two of those decades, I was benching heavy (even over 400 pounds) while incorrectly leveraging my delts instead of properly placing my scapula. This led to persistent shoulder issues, which only began to disappear once I started powerlifting in my early 30s with the correct technique. Today, at 48, I can still bench 350 pounds for 15-20 reps, pain-free, without maxing out.

The Critical Role of Scapula Placement: Proper scapula placement is non-negotiable for safe and effective lifting. By retracting and planting your scapula, you create a stable base that reduces shoulder strain and enhances muscle activation. Numerous articles and studies on scapula positioning, including those by reputable sources like Athlete X, highlight its importance in preventing injuries and maximizing strength.

Epidemic of Poor Technique in Gyms: The number of people lifting with poor technique in gyms is staggering. I frequently see people lifting 2-6 inches off their chest, using leg drive meant for powerlifting instead of bodybuilding, scapula forward and extended, and bouncing the bar off their chest. These mistakes are rampant—9 out of 10 women and 8 out of 10 men seem to lift incorrectly, stunting their progress and risking injury.

Ego Lifting and Lack of Accountability: The culture of ego lifting is pervasive. Many lifters boast about their numbers without realizing their poor form is holding them back. What’s worse is that this problem is just as prevalent in hardcore gyms as it is in places like Planet Fitness. No one is calling out bad form anymore, and it’s contributing to the decline in lifting standards.

High School Coaches: The Root of the Problem?: I’ve seen the damage done by unqualified strength and conditioning coaches at the Jr high and high school level. My son, who has excellent form, recently took a strength class at his Jr high school. Despite his solid technique, his coach penalized him for improper form. It became such a big issue that my son ended up in a fight for calling out the coach.

Standing Up for What’s Right: When I met with the VP and the coach—after my patient emails were ignored—the coach immediately acknowledged he was wrong, (6’, 13% and 256) then I showed them my powerlifting records and photos from my time at Westside in Columbus, OH. They quickly changed their tune, apologized, and gave my son the grade he deserved.

Enough is Enough: I’m fed up with foolish coaches who are destroying the next generation by teaching poor techniques. We need to hold these coaches accountable and ensure they’re properly trained so they don’t pass on bad habits to young athletes.

#callthemout #teachyourkidsdifferent

Last edited:
I would add quarter and half squatting, which puts excess stress on knee ligaments and tendons. Also not using hip drive in squatting, which could enable safer posture during squatting for long term spine health