Former Abusers of AAS Exhibit Decreased T Levels and Hypogonadal Symptoms Years after Cessation

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
Rasmussen JJ, Selmer C, Ostergren PB, et al. Former Abusers of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids Exhibit Decreased Testosterone Levels and Hypogonadal Symptoms Years after Cessation: A Case-Control Study. PLoS One 2016;11(8):e0161208. Former Abusers of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids Exhibit Decreased Testosterone Levels and Hypogonadal Symptoms Years after Cessation: A Case-Control Study

AIMS: Abuse of anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) is highly prevalent among male recreational athletes. The objective of this study was to investigate the impact of AAS abuse on reproductive hormone levels and symptoms suggestive of hypogonadism in current and former AAS abusers.

METHODS: This study had a cross-sectional case-control design and involved 37 current AAS abusers, 33 former AAS abusers (mean (95%CI) elapsed duration since AAS cessation: 2.5 (1.7; 3.7) years) and 30 healthy control participants. All participants were aged 18-50 years and were involved in recreational strength training.

Reproductive hormones (FSH, LH, testosterone, inhibin B and anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH)) were measured using morning blood samples. Symptoms of hypogonadism (depressive symptoms, fatigue, decreased libido and erectile dysfunction) were recorded systematically.

RESULTS: Former AAS abusers exhibited significantly lower median (25th -75th percentiles) total and free testosterone levels than control participants (total testosterone: 14.4 (11.9-17.7) nmol/l vs. 18.8 (16.6-22.0) nmol/l) (P < 0.01). Overall, 27.2% (13.3; 45.5) of former AAS abusers exhibited plasma total testosterone levels below the lower reference limit (12.1 nmol/l) whereas no control participants exhibited testosterone below this limit (P < 0.01).

Gonadotropins were significantly suppressed, and inhibin B and AMH were significantly decreased in current AAS abusers compared with former AAS abusers and control participants (P < 0.01).

The group of former AAS abusers had higher proportions of participants with depressive symptoms ((24.2%) (11.1; 42.2)), erectile dysfunction ((27.3%) (13.3; 45.6)) and decreased libido ((40.1%) (23.2; 57.0)) than the other two groups (trend analyses: P < 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: Former AAS abusers exhibited significantly lower plasma testosterone levels and higher frequencies of symptoms suggestive of hypogonadism than healthy control participants years after AAS cessation. Current AAS abusers exhibited severely decreased AMH and inhibin B indicative of impaired spermatogenesis.

Table 1. Demographic characteristics and anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) abuse in the three groups.

journal.pone.0161208.t001.PNG

Table 2. Reproductive hormone levels in the three groups.

journal.pone.0161208.t002.PNG

Fig 1. Association between accumulated duration of AAS abuse (log 2 scale) and testis size in current AAS abusers (spline function) and former AAS abusers. Footnote: AAS, anabolic androgenic steroids.

journal.pone.0161208.g001.PNG

I would like to know some more info on the users/abusers. If would be helpful to know what they consider aas abusers, as in what compounds they used, how large of doses were used and for how long they were used. Also if they did proper cycles with proper pct and off cycle time. It is interesting though.

I would like to know some more info on the users/abusers. If would be helpful to know what they consider aas abusers, as in what compounds they used, how large of doses were used and for how long they were used. Also if they did proper cycles with proper pct and off cycle time. It is interesting though.

It's pretty simple, an AAS abuser is anyone who uses it outside of TRT/therapeutic reasons.

It's pretty simple, an AAS abuser is anyone who uses it outside of TRT/therapeutic reasons.
But dont you think someone who is running grams a week for long periods of time without the proper pct procedures and off time to recover would have far worse negative effects than someone who does few mild cycles and takes pct and recovery seriously? I'm not saying that it good for you to take steroids but I think there is a difference in taking 500-600mg of test a week as apposed to taking say 800mg test, 600mg Tren, 500mg deca and 50mg of dbol a week. I was just saying that it would be more interesting and accurate to know just how much they were abusing steroids. I'm sure all the subject were not abusing the same amounts of steroids and their bodies were recovering differently.

But dont you think someone who is running grams a week for long periods of time without the proper pct procedures and off time to recover would have far worse negative effects than someone who does few mild cycles and takes pct and recovery seriously? I'm not saying that it good for you to take steroids but I think there is a difference in taking 500-600mg of test a week as apposed to taking say 800mg test, 600mg Tren, 500mg deca and 50mg of dbol a week. I was just saying that it would be more interesting and accurate to know just how much they were abusing steroids. I'm sure all the subject were not abusing the same amounts of steroids and their bodies were recovering differently.

You're right that there's different levels of abuse but by definition it's still abuse is my point. They don't break it down further unfortunately.

I think it's important to remember even TRT results in sort of gonadal hibernation, the net effect being VERY LOW, to immeasurable gonadotropin levels, and that can't be good!

I mean what happens to SKM when it's not used? To that end these results should surprise no one.

Users underestimate the adverse effects of AAS all the time on this and other PED forums, as a means of justifying their use, IMO.

Nonetheless JD, I believe research of this nature provides further evidence the bro-science notion of "more is better" is anything but factual.

Last edited:
I think it's important to remember even TRT results in sort of gonadal hibernation, the net effect being VERY LOW, to immeasurable gonadotropin levels, and that can't be good!

I mean what happens to SKM when it's not used? To that end these results should surprise no one.

Users underestimate the adverse effects of AAS all the time on this and other PED forums, as a means of justifying their use, IMO.

Nonetheless JD, I believe research of this nature provides further evidence the bro-science notion of "more is better" is anything but factual.
I agree that any exogenous harmones introduced into the body can not be good for your natural systems ability. I would like to see a study though where more info on the users aas abuse is given. I know the risk that I am taking with my body but I do try to take precautions to preserve my future htpa functions and plan on only running moderate cycles with proper pct and off time. I would be curious to know how much taking these precautions are helping me as apposed to some of the users that are more irresponsible with their usage.

I wish there was more information on this subject.

I wonder how much epidemiological data we have on AAS use. I feel like it is just as common if not more so than many other drugs of abuse that receive far more attention.

I have not read the study, and it may likely have flaws. Most medical studies do. But, I can't interpret this.

Is this variance truly statistically significant. Some of the key metrics aren't THAT different.

Very interesting. Hopefully Scally is vindicated and this field of study will get more attention...

I wish there was more information on this subject.

I wonder how much epidemiological data we have on AAS use. I feel like it is just as common if not more so than many other drugs of abuse that receive far more attention.

I have not read the study, and it may likely have flaws. Most medical studies do. But, I can't interpret this.

Is this variance truly statistically significant. Some of the key metrics aren't THAT different.

Very interesting. Hopefully Scally is vindicated and this field of study will get more attention...

I do think AAS use is widespread but not as commonly used as most other recreational drugs if that's what you're talking about.

Statistical signifcance was calculated I believe, although I didn't read the entire study yet, so it's likely there but the clinical signifcance aspect might be called into question.

I also don't think most studies have flaws. Some do yes, but the main thing is many studies have limited application and people try to apply them to things they shouldn't be applied to.

HCG dose should aim to bring T to the upper normal range
By some reason midrange Testosterone from hcg doesn't feel as good as midrange T from HRT

Watch your estradiol though

Back