Have you experienced iron depletion from Tirzepatide use?

Musmadar

I started using Tirzepatide more than 1 month ago, already lost about 6kg/13pounds...

The problem I have is that I started to feel very dizzy during workouts, especially legs workout...the same symptoms like anemia...and it has nothing to do with glucose being too low (that was the first thing I checked)

I was wondering if you have experienced the same....

While tirzepatide primarily targets glucose and weight regulation through its actions on the incretin system, some studies have suggested potential associations between glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists—such as tirzepatide—and alterations in iron metabolism. Specifically, GLP-1 receptor agonists have been implicated in the regulation of hepcidin, a key hormone involved in iron homeostasis. Hepcidin modulates iron absorption in the intestines and its release from storage sites, and dysregulation of hepcidin levels can lead to disturbances in iron metabolism.
Who the hell are you? You came bringing some knowledge as if you have been around a while. But I’ve never seen that handle before on any forums.

Regardless, thanks for the info. That will probably benefit many of us.

Cheers, fellas.

Can throw all these theories out.

How about some basic blood work? Obtain a ferritin
Hmm. For quite some time I've had ferritin levels that are often over the high end of the range. I've been on Tirzepatide for 5 months and my ferritin levels are now below the low end of the range. 6 weeks ago ferritin was still in range. I'm going to keep an eye on the Tirzepatide/iron relationship.

Hmm. For quite some time I've had ferritin levels that are often over the high end of the range. I've been on Tirzepatide for 5 months and my ferritin levels are now below the low end of the range. 6 weeks ago ferritin was still in range. I'm going to keep an eye on the Tirzepatide/iron relationship.

When I was in my youth I've been low on iron on multiple occasions when blood tests were made..
I'm guessing that now, the symptoms of low iron kicked even after 1 month of using Tirz, because most probably my iron was on the lower end of the scale already.
With all that being said I still believe Tirz is a great compound...

Ah this is interesting to hear. I've started with Tirz/Reta in December and now since one month on TRT. Something started to feel off, always tired, feeling dizzy, I expected it's high E2 (which lab tests then confirmed as OK), tried iron supplementation and voila, feeling good again.

Ah this is interesting to hear. I've started with Tirz/Reta in December and now since one month on TRT. Something started to feel off, always tired, feeling dizzy, I expected it's high E2 (which lab tests then confirmed as OK), tried iron supplementation and voila, feeling good again.
I also started supplementing with iron and it's all good now...not a big deal.

how many mg is your iron supp?

This is interesting, I did not know Tirz could impact iron levels. I've been on it at a very low dose for months (more for appetite control / food noise reduction than weight loss) and have not had blood work recently.

I'd be wary to start an iron supplement though since my understanding is that excess iron can't easily be expelled from the body so taking it as a supplement can lead to toxicity over time if you don't need it.

I also found this article:

Tirzepatide and Iron Deficiency: A Growing Concern

Tirzepatide, a promising medication in the treatment of type 2 diabetes, has garnered attention not only for its efficacy but also for its potential side effects. Among these, the development of iron deficiency has emerged as a notable concern. Understanding the mechanism behind this adverse event and its clinical implications is crucial for healthcare providers and patients alike.

Tirzepatide belongs to a class of drugs known as GLP-1 receptor agonists, which work by mimicking the action of the glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) hormone. These medications stimulate insulin secretion, suppress glucagon release, and slow gastric emptying, resulting in improved glycemic control. However, emerging evidence suggests that GLP-1 receptor agonists may also impact iron metabolism.

One proposed mechanism for tirzepatide-induced iron deficiency revolves around its effect on gastric acid secretion. GLP-1 receptor agonists have been associated with reduced gastric acid production, potentially leading to impaired iron absorption in the duodenum, where acidic conditions are essential for iron solubility and uptake. Consequently, chronic use of tirzepatide may contribute to decreased iron levels over time.

Furthermore, the weight loss often observed with tirzepatide therapy could exacerbate the risk of iron deficiency. Rapid weight loss can deplete iron stores, as iron is stored in adipose tissue and released during periods of caloric restriction. Thus, patients undergoing significant weight reduction while on tirzepatide may be particularly susceptible to developing iron deficiency.

The clinical implications of tirzepatide-induced iron deficiency are multifaceted. Iron deficiency can lead to a spectrum of symptoms ranging from fatigue and weakness to more severe manifestations such as anemia. In patients with diabetes, iron deficiency may exacerbate pre-existing symptoms of fatigue, impacting their quality of life and potentially hindering adherence to diabetes management strategies. Moreover, untreated iron deficiency anemia can have serious consequences, including impaired cognitive function and diminished exercise tolerance.

Management strategies for tirzepatide-induced iron deficiency should aim to address both the underlying cause and the associated symptoms. This may involve oral or intravenous iron supplementation, dietary modifications to enhance iron absorption, and ongoing monitoring to ensure adequate iron repletion without overshooting and causing iron overload.

Its potential to induce iron deficiency underscores the importance of vigilant monitoring and proactive intervention.

So I'm interested in your opinion on the matter.

Source of this article? I do think this is a very underreported problem that can have serious consequences.

I started using Tirzepatide more than 1 month ago, already lost about 6kg/13pounds...

The problem I have is that I started to feel very dizzy during workouts, especially legs workout...the same symptoms like anemia...and it has nothing to do with glucose being too low (that was the first thing I checked)

I was wondering if you have experienced the same....

Source of this article? I do think this is a very underreported problem that can have serious consequences.
Not to bump an old thread...happened to me. Tirz/Sema literally tanked my iron levels to the point my Dr. was almost freaked that I've developed anemia or leaking blood like a sieve internally. I've still gotta see a GI for due diligence.

When you get your CBC's make sure to keep an eye on your MCH, MCV. It's not something to play with. Aside from feeling tired/worn out, your Dr, will possibly go into panic mode which makes for an interesting check-up.

Just realizing this now. Very strange thought it was low BP when I started getting dizzy standing up, I had to hold on to something for a minute before the fuzzy/blocky spell was over. This mixed with the typical glp lethargic feeling everyone talks about. Thanks for the awareness!