hGH + Metformin: A Good Thing (Metformin does not lower, but rather increases IGF-1)

I take 500-1000mg/day, usually with my carb meals. Gone as high as 2500mg in a day when I overdo cheat meals. Never anything resembling hypo symptoms.

I take 500-1000mg/day, usually with my carb meals. Gone as high as 2500mg in a day when I overdo cheat meals. Never anything resembling hypo symptoms.

What's your morning bg reading bro and do you "Feel" better when on metformin?

What's your morning bg reading bro and do you "Feel" better when on metformin?
Under 80, also on 3.75iu/day, GH. I think you overthink almost all of this stuff waaaaayyy too much in regards to “feel,” like the T3/t4 thing. I feel nothing on it, I also feel nothing on GH for the most part, or T4. So, I wouldn’t put much stock in someone who says they do. Just have to go by bloods, really.

Under 80, also on 3.75iu/day, GH. I think you overthink almost all of this stuff waaaaayyy too much in regards to “feel,” like the T3/t4 thing. I feel nothing on it, I also feel nothing on GH for the most part, or T4. So, I wouldn’t put much stock in someone who says they do. Just have to go by bloods, really.
Exactly, I know it's good for me because my BG is already borderline with HGH or when I have few months of heavy carbs diet.

The only real feel I have is that now after a heavy carb meal I don't usually fall asleep. Before especially on HGH it would just impossible to stay awake after a cheatmeal or even a medium carb meal. This is not happening anymore, another thing I noticed is I don't wake up during the night to pee anymore. Dunno if it's just coincidental or my BG has really improved, I still need to draw bloods, next week I'll check my thyroid and all other stuff plus of course my BG. We will see.

On 3,5IU of HGH and 100mcg of T4 at the moment

Exactly, I know it's good for me because my BG is already borderline with HGH or when I have few months of heavy carbs diet.

The only real feel I have is that now after a heavy carb meal I don't usually fall asleep. Before especially on HGH it would just impossible to stay awake after a cheatmeal or even a medium carb meal. This is not happening anymore, another thing I noticed is I don't wake up during the night to pee anymore. Dunno if it's just coincidental or my BG has really improved, I still need to draw bloods, next week I'll check my thyroid and all other stuff plus of course my BG. We will see.

On 3,5IU of HGH and 100mcg of T4 at the moment

You don't have a bg monitor?

Taking your Metformin dose at night with a high carb meal can be used strategically to reduce the evening cortisol rise and to ameliorate the lower evening insulin sensitiity.

Metformin works primarily to slow glucose uptake from the small intestine, slowing carbohydrate absorption. If preparing for a contest, and using the tactic of waking every couple of hours to take in a carbohydrate-dense meal, Metformin along with just one final carbohydrate-dense meal before bed will work just as well.

Taking your Metformin dose at night with a high carb meal can be used strategically to reduce the evening cortisol rise and to ameliorate the lower evening insulin sensitiity.

Metformin works primarily to slow glucose uptake from the small intestine, slowing carbohydrate absorption. If preparing for a contest, and using the tactic of waking every couple of hours to take in a carbohydrate-dense meal, Metformin along with just one final carbohydrate-dense meal before bed will work just as well.

Wouldnt slower absorption of nutrients cause meals to compound when your eating every 2-3 hours?

Who in the fuck is waking up during contest prep to eat carbohydrate dense meals. :confused:

Metformin will also absolutely not replace the intake of calories simply by delaying absorption if the goal is growth. That’s also a silly assertion.

Last edited:
My comments are directed towards people (a) doing contest prep with a cyclical dieting approach, and (b) monitoring blood glucose with CGM. If your sole focus is "growth," there's nothing magic, if you're able to continue AAS/insulin just increase dosage. Speaking specifically towards contest prep, those on a cyclical diet that have cut out injectables usually a couple of weeks prior to getting on stage may reasonably worry about cortisol and glucose. If nobody were taking this approach of evening refeeding to maintain fullness I wouldn't bother mentioning it, but there are plenty of people worried about looking flat pre-competition that are rightfully concerned that they can't just rely on their AAS or insulin dose with reasonable concerns.

Specifically for people monitoring glucose (CGM is leading people to questions about interactions with hGH, Metformin, and blood glucose) it is worthwhile mentioning the effects of Metformin on glucose levels. Metformin will typically lower fasting glucose via a reduction in basal hepatic glucose production. If one is trying to decide on a timing for dosing Metformin, there is some logical purpose behind timing your Metformin dose before bed, as mentioned, even if it does not apply for your current goals or even comport with your approach to contest prep.

In this paper ("Mechanism of metformin action in obese and lean noninsulin-dependent diabetic subjects") which looked at Metformin in healthy, lean subjects vs. noninsulin dependent diabetic subjects, it was demonstrated that even in lean, healthy adults Metformin: i) lowers the fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations; ii) improves oral glucose tolerance, and iii) decreases plasma lipid levels independent of changes in body weight.

For those monitoring blood glucose (CGM) for performance purposes while using rhGH, the hGH-induced effects on insulin resistance are relevant, as well as mean resting and intra-exercise glucose levels. For those focused purely on body composition and not using insulin, it's good that Metformin increases IGF-1 which helps with anabolism of course. Be aware, however, that Merformin does not increase insulin sensitivity nor secretion, but does augment glucose-mediated glucose uptake.

A couple questions for those monitoring blood glucose: have you found a spike in glucose to occur during very intense exercise bouts, i.e., HIIT, or even myo-reps? If so, do you notice anything different on vs. off rhGH?

I don’t even know where to start with this.

Are you just copy pasting shit you read in a study? Continuous glucose monitoring?

Still super curious who you know that wakes up to eat multiple carb heavy meals during contest prep any other time than possibly the day immediately prior to the stage. Do you compete/are you coaching high performing athletes? Because this sounds ridiculous.

You don't have a bg monitor?
No I don't. I don't care much, I don't use insulin and never will so poking my finger is a pita and not needed imho
I draw bloods regularly so I keep an eye on my BG that way
Should I get one?

No I don't. I don't care much, I don't use insulin and never will so poking my finger is a pita and not needed imho
I draw bloods regularly so I keep an eye on my BG that way
Should I get one?

I like to check my morning level to see what meds/supps actually work, but not really needed.

I like to check my morning level to see what meds/supps actually work, but not really needed.
Metforming works, I don't take other supps so yeah I already poke myself 2x a week for my trt, can't bother poking finger as well ahahah.

I have one somewhere telling you the truth, used twice and never used again :(

It is indeed a good instrument especially if one is interested in checking the body response to meals etc.

Again I just can't bother

Boring intro:

I am using:
6iu HGH (before bed/after wo) ed
1g Metformin XR ed before bed
10iu Humalog after prewo meal
15iu Humalog after postwo meal (dose is higher since HGH is full throttle)

Eating:
800C 300P 50F 2 days on training days
500C 300P 50F 1 day on rest day (i need to give a break to my body with all that food)

I do 30mins fasted cardio 5-7 times a week.

Morning weight last time was 182cm 113kg / 6" 248,6lbs, hope to reach 250-255lbs then cut down.

My fasted glucose readings are between 85-90 which i don't think are that great.

Regarding what Metformin XR did for me:

+It really kills my appetite at 2g+ ed, making dieting even more easier (when you eat so much getting lean 6-8% is easy)
+On 1g Met XR i feel normal, have appetite, i never want to cheat on my diet, i just follow it to the T, no cheat meals nothing, it's really a plus when growing since you can track everything perfectly, without going overboard.
+Glucose readings are stable at the level i wrote above since 2 months,
-The only side i have, is from some acid reflux, that i fix with Sodium Bicarbonate OR Glutammine. Digestion is perfect. As soon as I drop Metformin, acid reflux goes away in a day or two, so i am pretty sure it's not from my diet (rice, quinoa, cream of rice, lean meats, whey isolate, avocado, olive oil, 30g almond butter a day)
+/- I have noticed a little decrease in strength, which subsided in few days, maybe muscles needed to fill up. I train low volume progressive overload and that loose in strength is very easy to notice. If you train high volume you should notice more lactic acid buildup. Just keep grinding.

OT: I was thinking to add 25iu Lantus before bed to have better glucose readings.

ON TOPIC: Metformin is good for everything, should be a must, unfortunately that acid reflux for me is a strong minus...

Reasonable for a bodybuilder depending on rhGH dose and resultant blood glucose concentrations.
Is there any value where you should start considering adding some metformin or any other related med?

What value would you set as the limit? Would you focus on fasted glucose level or value after 1.5-2 hours meal?

Is there any value where you should start considering adding some metformin or any other related med?

What value would you set as the limit? Would you focus on fasted glucose level or value after 1.5-2 hours meal?
I am concerned primarily with waking AM blood glucose and post-training blood glucose as our nadir values. If those are >= 100 mg/dL we need to implement A) optimal rhGH dosing/timing strategies coupled with B) glucose management with the GDAs (BBR and/or Met) as the first-line, GLP-1 agonists (there is space for the SGLT-2 inhibitors here also) as the second-line, and exogenous insulin (alternatively, LR3 IGF-I) as the last line of defense. Of course, most important on a chronic time-frame is HbA1C.

I am concerned primarily with waking AM blood glucose and post-training blood glucose as our nadir values. If those are >= 100 mg/dL we need to implement A) optimal rhGH dosing/timing strategies coupled with B) glucose management with the GDAs (BBR and/or Met) as the first-line, GLP-1 agonists (there is space for the SGLT-2 inhibitors here also) as the second-line, and exogenous insulin (alternatively, LR3 IGF-I) as the last line of defense. Of course, most important on a chronic time-frame is HbA1C.
About Igf1-lr3 is that true that we have to cycle it?

Back