How important is protein

View: https://twitter.com/dougkalmanphdrd/status/1378327981253361665?s=20

"These findings suggest that slightly increasing current protein intake for several months by 0.1 g/kg/d in a dose-dependent manner over a range of doses from 0.5 to 3.5 g/kg/d may increase or maintain lean body mass."

View attachment 144964

The one goes up to 3.5 grams / kg, which is about 1.6 grams per pound. It also included a resistance training cohort.

What I find interesting is that the charts are still climbing at 3.5 grams/kg a day, which means there may be a benefit to eating even more protein than that. Somebody needs to run the experiment and see where the limit is.

Apparently it is not 3.5g/kg.

Or 1.6g/lb.

So for 220 pound bodybuilder, this would be 350 grams a day, and there might be a benefit even higher than that. We don't know where the limit is based on these charts

The one goes up to 3.5 grams / kg, which is about 1.6 grams per pound. It also included a resistance training cohort.

What I find interesting is that the charts are still climbing at 3.5 grams/kg a day, which means there may be a benefit to eating even more protein than that. Somebody needs to run the experiment and see where the limit is.

Apparently it is not 3.5g/kg.

Or 1.6g/lb.

So for 220 pound bodybuilder, this would be 350 grams a day, and there might be a benefit even higher than that. We don't know where the limit is based on these charts
My last blast, I was stuck at 255 for about 6-7 weeks. It wasn’t until I went up to 400-450g protein/day that I was able to break through. Here is an example

Attachments

• E31F2C71-6A35-412F-AD45-71086E70784D.jpeg
    E31F2C71-6A35-412F-AD45-71086E70784D.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 18
Based on personal experience, when I started actually tracking what I was eating, and eating clean, increasing my protein from... whatever the fuck it was, maybe .6-.7 g/lb to 1g/lb I noticed a HUGE difference in body composition, and I wasn't pulling out calories to lean out either, I was just running maintenance cals. This is before I started really running much gear also (I was "natty" at that time).

I have to assume Stan Efferding is either not well known, or not well liked on this forum.

I ain't scared of carbs, and you are discussing just about my diet now (300 protein and another 3000 calories on top of that). I thought I weighed 246 this morning, but, no, I had to pee a little, and after that I was 245.8. Damn it, I'm still 245.

More carbs!

:D

I was, until very recently, eating fats at 120 grams minimum. @MuscleFreak convinced me to try lowering them and upping my carbs. Interestingly, lowering my fats helped out my intestinal difficulties a LOT. I don't think high fats and my digestive system got along very well. I don't think that is why he recommended it, but it has been a very nice, unanticipated benefit.
Higher fats destroy my waistline,i feel bloated all day...and with carbs even at 1000g my waistline is perfect and i feel great. And big plus I stay lean year Round without even trying

I get sick at eating protein, my digestive system isn´t simply down for it, I don´t think it´s even healthy to be all day eating chicken breasts, eggs, shakes...

In order to get 250gr or above, you have to be eating and thinking about food all day, I don´t care I am leaving gains on the table, I won´t force my body like that, and there are more important things in daily life than being a slave of food honestly.

150-200gr is good enough.

I get sick at eating protein, my digestive system isn´t simply down for it, I don´t think it´s even healthy to be all day eating chicken breasts, eggs, shakes...

In order to get 250gr or above, you have to be eating and thinking about food all day, I don´t care I am leaving gains on the table, I won´t force my body like that, and there are more important things in daily life than being a slave of food honestly.

I understand what you are saying, and since I am at the point of pushing in food all day, I really understand.

BUT

This thread was started by a guy who asked about How Important Is Protein? And he is not asking in the context of how important it is for health and longevity. He asked if one guy is eating 0.5 grams, and the other is eating 1 gram, will either one see significant differences in growth.

The answer is an emphatic YES.

And the studies above seem to indicate that there is a significant difference all the way up to 1.6 grams.

AND, that is not the end. The line on the chart is still rising. That is just where the studies out there have stopped. Nobody has studied 1.7 or 1.8 . . .

So "good enough" depends on your goals. If you want to grow more muscle, like a bodybuilder, then, no, 150 grams of protein is not enough. My wellness competitor wife eats more than that.

Your post could be read in the context of AAS, too.

I don't think it's healthy to do more than 250 mg of testosterone. My system is not down for it. 250 mg is good enough.

But will 250 mg of testosterone maximize growth? The answer is no.

And 150 grams of protein will not maximize growth, either.

Why isn’t it healthy? On what are you basing this? 250g protein is 50g less than I eat in a deficit. Yes, I think about food all day because it’s not enough. This might not be for you.

I understand what you are saying, and since I am at the point of pushing in food all day, I really understand.

BUT

This thread was started by a guy who asked about How Important Is Protein? And he is not asking in the context of how important it is for health and longevity. He asked if one guy is eating 0.5 grams, and the other is eating 1 gram, will either one see significant differences in growth.

And the studies above seem to indicate that there is a significant difference all the way up to 1.6 grams.

AND, that is not the end. The line on the chart is still rising. That is just where the studies out there have stopped. Nobody has studied 1.7 or 1.8 . . .

So "good enough" depends on your goals. If you want to grow more muscle, like a bodybuilder, then, no, 150 grams of protein is not enough. My wellness competitor wife eats more than that.

I don't think it's healthy to do more than 250 mg of testosterone. My system is not down for it. 250 mg is good enough.

150 is nothing,i would not even maintan my size.

What do you consider to be healthy sources of protein then?

BUT

I agree after reading everyone's responses I think everyone's body will grow fine up to a certain point on a moderate amount of protein. But if u want to break plateaus or have just stopped growing then it seems you need a higher level of protein. Just like u said with test u will need more eventually to keep growing

My last blast, I was stuck at 255 for about 6-7 weeks. It wasn’t until I went up to 400-450g protein/day that I was able to break through. Here is an example
Are you OK with chronometer? Because when I use fat secret and chronometer together there is a huge difference in calories and macros...

BUT

Exactly, examine yourself while pushing food to your throat all day, think if it´s worth all the martyrization, you don´t need that to have a nice physique and feel strong. And digestive issues are a real thing, if you have to push it´s because your body doesn´t really want it, and don´t think the body is a fool, there will be a payback, i.e. I have had irritating bowels on an occasion or two hitting 300grams of protein every day, it´s just sick and felt a fool myself the next days when I can´t even eat solid, anyway I don´t think I have the genetics for hard bodybuilding, my body just doesn´t bare it.

When I train really hard, like 90 minutes of a push session hitting Bench and Military presses in pyramid ascendant series, then accessories, triceps, and 30 minutes of cardio, then I am starving, and everything I get into my body is quickly absorbed and feel nice, but that of eating systematically 250, 300, 350 or 450 grams of proteins every-damn-day at all-hours is just a pain, it´s not life. It gets everyone into a primal state of being, and I am not a dog.

Are you OK with chronometer? Because when I use fat secret and chronometer together there is a huge difference in calories and macros...
It’s been ok, I used it when I was on keto because it takes care of the net carbs for you. I guess if you’re consistent, anything will work. A huge difference in which way? I’ll check out far secret.

It’s been ok, I used it when I was on keto because it takes care of the net carbs for you. I guess if you’re consistent, anything will work. A huge difference in which way? I’ll check out far secret.
A huge difference in total calories. But as you said once you got used to one, you just adjust from there, even if it was cronometer or fat secret.

A huge difference in total calories. But as you said once you got used to one, you just adjust from there, even if it was cronometer or fat secret.
I’m comparing them now. I don’t see much difference. In what did you see the most difference? For instance, cooked chicken breast there was only a difference of 3 calories for 8oz.

I’m comparing them now. I don’t see much difference. In what did you see the most difference? For instance, cooked chicken breast there was only a difference of 3 calories for 8oz.
Maybe my mistake... But especially chicken breast had a difference of 50kcal every 100g and the grams of protein where 30 vs 20-22g of fat secret. Probably a mistake from me

Maybe my mistake... But especially chicken breast had a difference of 50kcal every 100g and the grams of protein where 30 vs 20-22g of fat secret. Probably a mistake from me
I log on both for a couple days. 8oz cooked CB is 4g more protein on crono. Tried to compare raw measure for a better apples to apples comparison, but, fat secret doesn’t have a very good entry for straight raw CB.

Back