• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

How to half a 1mil 250mg Test Ethenate vial?

Oliverduke

I have been prescribed 250mg test e once every 2 weeks, but I'm allowed to self inject so want to take this down to once a week possibly more frequent.

How do I go about this considering its a single use vial? easiest option I can think of is to draw it all out, inject half. Change needles + cap it then use other half a week later...?

Have seen mixed things about possibility of dissolving plastic/rubber ring but not sure this would be a problem over a week?

thanks

You would be fine injecting half of the vial and using the other half the following week. The stopper will hold up for much longer than two pins.

You would be fine injecting half of the vial and using the other half the following week. The stopper will hold up much longer than two pins.

Thanks, nurse wants to watch me do the first one... if she doesn't let me do half iv got two options

A - inject 250mgs then start the 125 week after so have an initial high dose
B - wait 2 weeks out and start the 125 (going to have a bigger peak and trough)

think id rather option A?

If you have leur lok, they make leur lok caps, just screw it on top after you use half, this will help to prevent too much exposure. Here is an example of one
http://jensenglobal.com/products/jgc-512g?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&gclid=CK6H7IGN_cMCFYOTfgodKZ8AXg

As the others have said, the rubber plunger should hold up longer than a week.

The biggest problem you will have, is in a single syringe after your first injection getting blood or anything that can cause contamination, because you will be allowing it to essentially incubate for a week. However, that being said a buddy of mine does exactly what you had in mind and hasn't had any problems over the last 3 years...

Ill have a look into that, yeh i guess wouldn't there be a air pressure difference tho so that what ever is left in the needle/syringe wouldn't be contamited with what you just injected if your changing needle after... guess there's always a risk though.

Im sure many other people have to find a way around a similar issue?

You can avoid that by drawing up two separate syringes from the ampoule (one for immediate use, one for use a week later). The additional cost is negligible.

Would you have any videos showing how to? I have to show the nurse I'm confident in self injecting friday so i need to be able to show i know roughly what I'm doing haha, one syringe sounds easy from what iv read/watched but not sure how you would do two...

Why don't you just TELL THEM (They work for you don't they? Or are you paying them because they're just nice people?) you want to inject half the dose once a week. Draw half the vial contents into two separate syringes or use the luer-locks (where the needle is new for each injection) as already mentioned. DO NOT use the same needle twice!

You are correct in thinking that 125 mg once a week is a much better protocol than 250 mg every two weeks.

Thanks for the reply, my endo has said i can do it once a week. However the prescription comes from my GP and he wants the nurse to watch the first injection, so nurse will follow what GP has said i expect which is one vial every 2 weeks... Once i get my hands on the vials after this injection I can do as I please.

So would drawing it out in two separate syringes be better than drawing it out in one, injecting half and then replacing the needle for next time?

So would drawing it out in two separate syringes be better than drawing it out in one, injecting half and then replacing the needle for next time?

The first way is preferable because it's not easy to inject exactly half of what is in a syringe.

Thanks

I think I'm going to buy some vials and just transfer it into a multi use vial and draw from that?

Ill have this jab tomorrow on full dose, then ill have a look about and start my half dosing 10 days after.

You don't need multiple vials, you need multiple needles/syringes. You can draw half of the test from the vial and then draw the rest out of the same vial a week later.

I would use two separate syringes 125ea or have them prescribe 10ml vials at a time. 1 vial would be 20 doses at 125mg. Problem solved. Draw it with an 18ga and inject with 25ga. Never use the same pin to inject that you use to draw. Single use ampules don't apply.

Thanks, i will ask but again see post above. Don't think you can get multi use vials in UK as docs are sensitive that you take what your meant to and nothing else... Ill try the multiple syringe approach i think?

I've never heard of that. It may be intended for a single use meaning, "since the vial only holds 250mg, all of the contents should be injected at once".

But I'm almost positive you can repin the vial a bunch of times.

We're talking about a vial with a rubber stopper correct? and not a glass amp?

Midland...he is only using single use 1ml ampules....they are glass...you break off the top to access the oil... That is the reason for the inquiry...so two separate syringes pulled at .5ml ea would solve that.

Sorry for the vague description of a single use vial but iv never seen one, just what the dispensary told me it was... I'll probaily do the while vial tomorrow with the nurse, and then instead of waiting two weeks I'll treat that as a loading dose and continue with my 0.5 vial every week from then on...