Investing in Ethereum (ETH)

Discussion in 'Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency' started by PaidMyDues, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Triton_

Triton_ Member

That's pretty sweet, how much did the rig cost you in total tho?

ChestRockwell likes this.
  2. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Member

Roughly $2500-$2700.

There are two ways to look at it though. I got in on ETH when it was around $40 so I have made far more than this amount in my portfolio, with the caveat these are unrealized profits until cashed out of course.

So, I just look at it as taking "profits" and reinvesting into the technology. And even if ETH gets too computationally complex to mine efficiently, there are always others (e.g. ZEC, SIA, etc)...

Millard Baker likes this.
  3. PaulHeyman

PaulHeyman Member

I saw they plan to reimburse people. Probably to get some good PR and right the ship a bit after the crash actually garnered some MSM attention. I personally am against their decision, because many people that lost their ETH at that low a price was a result of margin trading. Cryptos as a whole are FAR to volatile to margin trade with. That's like playing with a lighter while filling up your gas tank imo

pumpingiron22 likes this.
  4. Burrr

Burrr Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Whats more important for mining?
    Cpu speed or internet speed?

5. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Member

Neither, GPU power (specifically GPU memory).

pumpingiron22 and Burrr like this.
  6. pumpingiron22

pumpingiron22 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I tried mining at one time. But was a little late to the party. I was thinking of buying a whole bunch of ant 7. Since 3 ant 7 Should equal to a ant 9. Looking at the mining calc. I should be able to get close to the same hash rate for about half the price. Any suggestions are welcome

7. Burrr

Burrr Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Whats the ANT refer to?

8. pumpingiron22

pumpingiron22 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Ant miner the hardware this what mines Crypto. There are other kind this is just the most well known. FB_IMG_1498333075672.jpg

Burrr likes this.
  9. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Member

Due to hardware shortages, it is really going to come down to market availability. Most all of the AMD cards are nearly impossible to find, one of the reasons I went with the Nvidia ones in mine.

However, the 1070 FE cards are arguably superior to mining both ZEC and ETH as compared to their AMD counterparts. And you can still find them in a few places...

pumpingiron22 likes this.
  10. Triton_

Triton_ Member

I got my 1060 from walmart... lol, only place I could find it at a reasonable price

11. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

MyEtherWallet drama and controversy after co-founder leaves to start competing product with misleading and possibly illegal actions:

12. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

MyCrypto's defense and explanation for its unprofessional and potentially illegal hijacking of MyEtherWallet twitter account:

13. Holistic

Holistic Member

This guy is pretty good to watch.

14. Holistic

Holistic Member

Crazy how it unfolded On twitter... that nano hack of 170 million dollars worth, ugh.

15. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Other dubious actions and potential censorship by MyCrypto:

MyEtherWallet “Rebrand” a Hoax: Taylor Censoring Reddit as Damage Control?

Follow the trail of commentary on Reddit and you’ll find a disturbing amount of downvoting and possible censorship, making it hard to discern the true story. Taylor is one of the moderators for the r/Ethereum subreddit. It seems she and perhaps others are erasing posts that tell other sides of the story.

MyCrypto also owns and maintains the site etherscamdb.info which announced, “We recommend using MyCrypto.com moving forward for any interactions with the Ethereum blockchain. We no longer recommend MEW. Thank you!” following the social media takeover​

16. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

What does XRB have to do with ETH or MEW?