New MESO-Rx member ranking system

Do you like the new MESO-Rx ranking system?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m definitely in agreement with not allowing new members the ability to go straight to the underground and start posting. This is not a source board. It’s a community of like minded individuals who are mostly here for educational purposes. Sure, there is a lot more to it than that but that’s what initially brought me here years ago. It wasn’t to score a source but rather to obtain knowledge. It’s rude for new members not to introduce themselves and honestly I would be fine with them not being able to post at all until they have done so in an introduction.

As above, I recommend the following (but please note revised posting privileges may be slightly delayed since they are only updated once per hour):

"The new ranking system encourages members to make an introductory post (as per our instruction when approving member registration) before they are granted posting privileges.

It's sorta the algorithmic way of saying be polite and introduce yourself and tell us why you joined.
"

As above, I recommend the following (but please note revised posting privileges may be slightly delayed since they are only updated once per hour):

"The new ranking system encourages members to make an introductory post (as per our instruction when approving member registration) before they are granted posting privileges.

It's sorta the algorithmic way of saying be polite and introduce yourself and tell us why you joined.
"

Anyway the new system can verify that the member is actually introducing themselves before granting them access to the rest of the community?

Members are now flooding the intro section and seem to have found the loop hole of not having to actually introduce themselves to gain further access.

Anyway the new system can verify that the member is actually introducing themselves before granting them access to the rest of the community?

Members are now flooding the intro section and seem to have found the loop hole of not having to actually introduce themselves to gain further access.
People coming out of the woodworks posting intros just to get access elsewhere. Pretty normal requirement on other forums, I guess about time to implement it here. Hopefully they'll stick around instead of just using the site for the new access gained.

It's not possible for the system to automatically evaluate the content of a new member's introductory post in the New Member Introduction subforum.

It's up to members to determine if new users are making a good faith effort.

If new members don't, then perhaps they don't deserve posting privileges in the Steroid Underground subforum?

We really want discourage shills who sign up solely looking for the most expedient way to promote their favorite sources.

The community's encouragement and promotion of proper forum "etiquette" for new members is crucial.

We need everyone's help. The new algorithm is a good first step but it is limited.

People coming out of the woodworks posting intros just to get access elsewhere. Pretty normal requirement on other forums, I guess about time to implement it here. Hopefully they'll stick around instead of just using the site for the new access gained.
That's the whole goal. I think most new members just need help navigating the forums and understanding proper etiquette for finding the information they seek.

I hope the new member subforum gives new members an opportunity to learn what is expected as far as productive forum behavior and what is counterproductive to the harm reduction objectives of the forum.

Perhaps it should not be automatic that new users gain access until the intro is reviewed or commented on by posters?

Then why do you allow madbret and btcowboy to continuously insult other members who they disagree with. Literally half of their posts are calling people names instead of contributing to the discussion or problem. I’m curious why that is? But I’ve seen other members banned for this.

There is a difference in contributing to a discussion with your personal views and feelings, and continuously insulting other members as a form of belittling others they don’t agree with
Looks like you forgot to tag them so I'll do it for you..

@MadBret
@Btcowboy

For anyone interested, I'm always looking for help welcoming new members. Just can't keep with the sheer daily number with Millards new process in place. For those who post actual introductions and not a few words to just get access. Lol.

That's an easy thing to say for an elite :rolleyes:

I had to, lol
Jano, make sure that he knows you're joking!!!

Don't forget about how BBC3 broke the story about how the Elites meet in a field every year wearing goatheads, and drink New Members' blood in a sacrifice - during a week of debauchery and excess - with the sole purpose of continuing the plot to keep us blissfully ignorant of the year-round vacations to sunny enclaves to be enjoyed, rightfully, from their megayachts. We must not allow our minds to wander to such niceties as the lavish diamond-studded humidors from which the Eliites' slaves fetch for them their Cuban cigars, a mundane occurrence in their gilded world, barely worth a mention.

I, for one, am perfectly content to continue to break quartzite by pick-axe 16 hours a day in servitude to the wonderful Millard, and rather enjoy my not having been selected for shipment out to a place from where no mere member has ever returned.

My preference was the more egalitarian prior scheme, where it would seem that a post would sort of be judged by its merits without any attendant quasi-authority besides that arising out of a bona fide familiarity with the Meso community. However, I fully acknowledge that I'm not in the norm with these sorts of social incentives anyhow, as I just view the pursuit of a digital badge to be a kind of insignificant one.

One potential concern is that there is, with status societies, at root a "keeping up with the Jones'" effect, where one might with some likelihood seek to avoid being perceived as low status (perhaps frustrating and even leading to the displacement of some fast learners that might be treated as mere trolls for asking honest questions (that a Veteran would be unlikely to be on the receiving end of), that the new arrival is not yet equipped to bolster against by creating inspirational, informative, or helpful posts (yet) because they lack the raw ability, despite their potential to at some later point become excellent contributors. This system, then, might simply add more detrimental and persistent granularity to the old prejudiced lenses historically guided by the social cues of: a) no avatar, b) low post count, and c) beginner questions.

More importantly, though, I view any plan to disrupt or dismantle the concerned threats to the harm reduction community from source shilling and unsavory marketing tactics, were they permitted to flourish, as a paramount one. If that's an achievable goal with this system, I encourage investigating that possibility to its very conclusion. And if the price that I have to pay is a forum where status is considered as conferring some authority (in exchance for enhanced community harm reduction), then so be it.
How many posts are required to use the pm system

For anyone interested, I'm always looking for help welcoming new members. Just can't keep with the sheer daily number with Millards new process in place. For those who post actual introductions and not a few words to just get access. Lol.
I thought you are Meso's ambassador?

Just teasing.

Back