Self phlebotomy

I clot up before I can get out a pint .. no matter what way I do it .. the needle will clot up if you have syrup blood like me

I only do self when I'm in between Red Cross donations .. it helps but I don't reccomend it to the faint of heart

Does the blood bank actually test to see what drugs are in your system or do they just hope you tell the truth, like would they know if you took aspirin?

Does the blood bank actually test to see what drugs are in your system or do they just hope you tell the truth, like would they know if you took aspirin?

In response to aspirin, the website states:

"Aspirin, no waiting period for donating whole blood. However you must wait 2 days (3 days if you donate in New York State) after taking aspirin or any medication containing aspirin before donating platelets by apheresis."

Code:
https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical.html

As for checking the blood, i would think they'd have to. They couldn't afford to run the risk of contaminating the blood supply.

In response to aspirin, the website states:

"Aspirin, no waiting period for donating whole blood. However you must wait 2 days (3 days if you donate in New York State) after taking aspirin or any medication containing aspirin before donating platelets by apheresis."

Code:
https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical.html

As for checking the blood, i would think they'd have to. They couldn't afford to run the risk of contaminating the blood supply.

Wonder how guys taking roids get passed the screening, well I guess I'll find out today

Breathing some life back into this very important and informative thread; a reality we all will or have faced at some point, some over and over again.
In anay case, in the case where people are self-letting, clotting was was brought up as a point of concern. For those of you with sufficient experience self letting, have any of you taken an aspirin before hand to combat the clotting issues?

Breathing some life back into this very important and informative thread; a reality we all will or have faced at some point, some over and over again.
In anay case, in the case where people are self-letting, clotting was was brought up as a point of concern. For those of you with sufficient experience self letting, have any of you taken an aspirin before hand to combat the clotting issues?

I take aspirin every time, I feel like it helps.

I had a lot of issues when I wasn't getting the needle deep into the vein and taping it in place. Now with an 18g no issues. Honestly I bruise and make less mess than the blood bank girls which isn't bad for one handed.

That said I'd recommend aspirin and being well hydrated.

Once you get the hang of it...saves money and time.

I had a lot of issues when I wasn't getting the needle deep into the vein and taping it in place. Now with an 18g no issues. Honestly I bruise and make less mess than the blood bank girls which isn't bad for one handed.

i didn't think you could use an 18g to drop blood?
Everything i read said 16g was the size to use.

Tried it once with an 18g, got absolutely nothing. Your success has me thinking of trying it again.

i didn't think you could use an 18g to drop blood?
Everything i read said 16g was the size to use.

Tried it once with an 18g, got absolutely nothing. Your success has me thinking of trying it again.
You're probably going through the vein. Remember the vein is just underneath the skin. So make a shallow insertion. 18g is fine it'll probably take about 20mins+ to drain a pint.

What do you drain into and what exactly does your setup look like?

I use an 18g 1" on a 3cc barrel with the plunger pulled out and drain into a measuring cup or just regular cup. It gets hard to sit there holding the barrel in place after awhile though.

What do you drain into and what exactly does your setup look like?

I use an 18g 1" on a 3cc barrel with the plunger pulled out and drain into a measuring cup or just regular cup. It gets hard to sit there holding the barrel in place after awhile though.

I use an 18g probably 1.5". I have a pack of thick medical tubing from Amazon that the needle slides right on to with firm hold (got the idea from this thread or another). I cut a few feet so that when I'm sitting it reaches down into a a water/soda bottle between my feet. Using athletic tape, I tape the end securely to the bottle opening (leave an inch or so inside the bottle - use a couple pieces of tape). I also get the needle firmly inserted and then tape the tubing down to my forearm about 5" away....this helps tremendously and I think that's why people get clots as it's not seated deeply and it wiggles back. When it's done I pull the needle out of me, rest drains in the bottle, pull the tape and tubing from the bottle, and put the bottle screw top back on so I don't spill it anywhere.

Those pictures above are gnarly as hell...from a pure aesthetics stance you are going to like my solution A LOT more.

Honestly most of my ideas I think I got from this thread and one other. I do use a blood pressure cuff but honestly I'm not sure I need it. Can't hurt though adds one more PITA to the picture. Here are some links I have saved.:

Self blood letting

Blood letting question for Bass... - Page 3

Blood-letting

Last edited:
I posted a message (above) but it has links to other threads with equipment ideas and topical info. Mods need to approve it apparently so no one can see it yet.

BTW those other pics are disgusting even to me. You'll like my method (well, I got it from the linked threads).

My crit was 51 and change a couple weeks ago...just above range. With donation of a pint I'm sitting high 40s now. Weekly draws can't get me below 45 so anything with a 4X is just fine with me.

Back