Some very useful info

piercj2

This may change some opinions of steroids
I found it on The Tyler Hooten Website

Strory 1

If I knew then what I know now...
Presented by: Todd Ganci

I grew up in a big family; I was the third of five kids, three girls and two boys. My father met my mother during World War II. My father was a Captain in the Army and my mother was a nurse in Germany.
My mother was, and is, a very hard worker. She's still into gardening and landscaping in her 70's. When she was in her fifties she leveled a huge hill in our back yard with a shovel. It was a hill large enough to take a bulldozer half a day to flatten; it took her the entire spring and summer. When I was a kid, she worked as a registered nurse, kept the lawn landscaped and manicured like something you'd see in Better Homes & Gardens. She always had great home-cooked meals on the table.
My father was an incredible athlete who made the Hall of Fame in high school football. He played pro baseball for awhile until he got hurt. He later ran marathons in to his 60s. He had me throwing a baseball when I was three years old. I remember playing eight-year-old Hash and pitching entire games without throwing a ball or allowing anyone to get a foul tip. Every inning was over in nine pitches. I played and loved many different sports. I was smaller in stature than other kids my age but I was always very strong for my size.
My brother, who was 4 years older than me, started hanging with the wrong crowd and began drinking and drugging at an early age. I remember seeing him drunk when I was 12 and he was 16, it shocked and saddened me. He was slurring his words and stumbling when he walked. I decided from that moment on that I wanted no part of drinking and recreational drugging.
I played baseball and hockey throughout high school. I started lifting weights after graduating from high school. I started with a plastic Kmart weight set in my room. I weighed 130 lbs and was bench pressing 150 lbs. Six months later, clueless about nutrition, without any drugs or supplements of any kind, I weighed 145 lbs and was bench pressing 340 lbs. I was working out three times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, training only upper body. I knew nothing about nutrition, my diet was horrible and it was way before the age of any decent supplements of any kind. All that was available was desiccated liver tablets and clumpy egg protein that tasted like it was formulated on 3 Mile Island!
I entered a few local teen bodybuilding contests. I went in green, white as a sheet and totally oblivious. I didn't realize you had to diet and tan prior to entering bodybuilding contests - - it was ugly. The second contest I entered I was competing against bodybuilders who would later go on to win Mr. Universe.
I entered 3 more contests 100% natural over the next 2 years. I was pretty much the only natural competitor in the contests; it was before the age of drug tested competitions. My best placing at the time was 5th.
I continued training hard, drug-free for a total of four years. Most of the time I was training every day, four hours a day, seven days a week. I was working out at a gym where almost every guy was juiced to the gills. Even though I was 100% natural I was still stronger than most of them. Four years after I began working out I weighed 170 lbs, I was benching 370 and squatting 405 for 10 (all the way to down - not high chair squats). A couple of the guys who were juicing used to razz me calling me Mr. Natural. I used to say stuff like "You guys haven't been clean since the Pilgrims landed, or you guys must be helpful around the house breast feeding your baby brothers with that gyno!"
I started training even harder. Eventually I was constantly injured. My body couldn't recover from the intense workouts, over training and lack of nutrition. I got tired of limping around having people ask me hows it going old timer?
I began to contemplate trying steroids, so I starting researching them. One of the books I read was the Underground Steroid Handbook which seemed to promote and glorify the use of steroids. In my opinion, if someone's on the fence about trying steroids reads this book, they'll most likely try them. (One of the author's of the book passed away in 2000 at the age of 48.)
I also ran the idea of steroids by my allergist. He told me I shouldnt take them because if I ever had an allergy attack, I wouldnt respond to steroids if they were already in my system. I believe he, like many others, was confusing anabolic steroids (i.e., Testosterone) with catabolic steroids (i.e., Prednisone). I did so much research and read so many conflicting reports, my head was spinning
After researching for close to a year, I finally decided to try steroids. I made an appointment to see a German doctor who wrote scripts for lots of the guys at the gym. This guy was a lunatic! I walked in his office and with no warning, he stuck a syringe filled with B12 in my arm, pulled it out of my arm and stuck it in my friends arm. The same syringe! I was glad he jabbed me first!
He then asked, What can I do for you? I asked would you write me a script for Anavar and Winstrol? (Two of the least toxic oral steroids).
He responded That's it? Here, look through my book and this list.
I ended up walking out with a stack of scripts. In the early 80s steroids were inexpensive and available at most pharmacies. 100 2.5 mg Anavar were $14.
The first day I took steroids I was absolutely terrified! I started with it dose so low, most mice wouldn't kick off it. My first cycle consisted of 1 2.5 mg. Anavar per day. I told almost no one that I was on juice. Prior to cycling I was the same strength as my training partner who was juiced to the gills. We were both benching 370. The fourth week into my minuscule cycle I started to kick. During a chest workout I told my training partner I wanted to go for a max. He said, You barely got 370 last week, there's no way youre going to do more weight now.
I put 380 on the bar and it went up like nothing. Then 385. Then 390. Then 395!
He was floored! He yelled, Youre on juice!
I replied, No Im not, its Shift Amino Acids. Shift was an amino powder that mixed like sand in water. Soon half the gym was buying cases of the stuff. One friend of mine claims he still has a couple cases in his garage to this day.
Quality natural supplements, proper nutrition and information about steroids werent available back then.
If I knew then what I know now, I never would have tried steroids.
I had trained very intensely for four years without any drugs or supplements. Once I began cycling steroids I upped the intensity by 1000%! My current training partner was more interested in cracking jokes than getting in the zone I was in. I started working out with a freak who was 5'5" 240 and he treated every set like a life or death struggle like I did. We both started packing on mass and getting freaky strong working out together, we were doing forced reps on every set.
I did a few more cycles of Anavar and Winstrol. I would go on for 6 weeks and off for 6 weeks. I was growing like a weed and loved the transformation to my physique.
I entered my first bodybuilding competition on Anavar. The contest had an All-Star legendary judging panel including Danny Padilla, Robby Robinson and Mike Katz. After prejudging, a couple of the judges told me I looked great, I was psyched! I ended up winning my class. Finally after 3 years of taking 5th or 6th place, I won my class. I competed in 2 more contests a few weeks later and I took first in one and second in the other.
I tapered off the Anavar and stayed clean for the entire summer. I continued this pattern of staying off juice during the summer to clean out my receptor sites for years to come. I would stay off everything from June to January.
The following January I tried injectables for the first time - 200 mg. of Testosterone Enanthate. I drove 60 miles to a doctor's office once a week. 3 weeks in to the cycle it was snowing heavy so I was unable to drive to his office. I tried pushing 22 gauge, inch and a half needle against my right glute and it slid right in. I said to myself, "I've been driving to East Cupcake for this?" "This is easy!" I started injecting myself. I would start with 1cc of Test (200 mgs.) for 3 weeks and then added 1cc of Deca Durabolin (200 mgs) for 3 weeks. I increased my intensity even more. I got really strong. I was benching 500 and squatting 700 for reps. I used to love the attention I got when I was pushing massive amounts of weights, especially in front of power lifters who claimed bodybuilders were weak and all show and no go. I was doing 405 for reps on the incline, close grip bench 315 for 21, squatting 600 for 10 to the floor with my feet together without a belt or raps. I used so much weight on the hack squat machine, one day the bolts that lagged it to the floor snapped.
I continued cycling with injectables, 6 weeks on 6 weeks off. I usually used 1 Androgen (Test Enanthate) and 1 or 2 anabolics (Deca & Primobolan Depot). I tried a 6 week cycle once with a lot of different steroids for 6 weeks. I didn't gain any more strength or size on that cycle. I felt nauseous all the time; I was like a toxic waste dump. After that experiment I went back to my usual cycle.
I started winning every contest I'd enter. As usual, I'd totally go off steroids from June until January to totally clean out. I'm glad I did so because my body is still able to make it's own testosterone unlike so many others I knew who stayed on for years at a time. Their testicles are gone forever, they disrupted their metabolic pathways permanently and now they have to wear a patch or inject Test for life!
I used much less stuff than most of the guys I knew. My SGOT liver enzymes never went over 50, while other guy's SGOTs would go over 600. I also took silymarin (milk thistle) when I was on to help detoxify my liver. I also never took toxic orals like Dianabol, Anadrol or Halotestin. I remember a doctor I spoke with about anabolic steroids back then said "if you want to get big use injectables, if you want liver tumors use orals"
I knew guys that would inject 2400 mgs of Test at a time, that's 12cc's! They'd have 4 - 3 cc syringes lined up, inject the Test, unscrew the syringe, screw in the next one, inject that and so on. These are the same guys that would almost never get off and when they did get off, they wouldn't train at all. I trained with lots of intensity when I was off, I never missed a workout. I would always tell myself I was going to take time off after contests but I never did.
I remember my mother, who didn't know I was using steroids tell me, "don't ever take steroids because look what happened to Derrik Sanderson, he had to have his hips replaced." I responded, "hips replaced, like I'd ever need that.
When I got off juice for the summer that's when I would really feel the strain I was putting on my body, steroids had pain masking property to them.
I remember in the midst of a cycle waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I could never sleep through the night without getting up a few times when I was on. Everything was quiet and dark and I'd say to myself, "what the hell are you doing to yourself?"
After each cycle I would be in more and more pain when I was off. I started taking 1 or 2 over the counter anti-inflammatories like Advil when I was really stiff.
During my next cycle I tried something that was supposedly the missing link to getting huge: Human growth hormone. It wasn't the synthetic stuff that's available today. This was real growth hormone from the pituitaries of cadavers. It cost me a lot of money and I purchased it from a pharmacy with a prescription so I knew it was definitely real. I was psyched to start. While I was on it I didn't notice anything positive. I wasn't getting any stronger, bigger, or more cut from it. Five weeks in to the cycle something happened. I had severe arythmia one morning. My heart was barely beating then it was beating at 150 bpm. My friend came over to pick me up to train. I had him listen to my heart through the stethoscope. He listened and said "what?" it's beating, let's go train!"
I said "It's beating but I don't think it's supposed to be doing a Neil Pert drum solo."
I went to the hospital and the cardiologist informed me that my right atrium wasn't working properly. He wanted to give me the paddles to try to jump start it in to working, but it started working again on its own after a while. He asked me if I was on anything, I told him I was and he replied, "I hope you don't think you're going to get out of this scot free, there will most likely be repercussions down the road." No truer words have ever been spoken.
Literally the day after I went to the hospital I picked up Time magazine and there was an article on Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease which can be contracted by taking human growth hormone and it can take up to 20 years to manifest itself. Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease is human mad cow disease. It took hundreds of pituitaries to make up one batch of human growth hormone.
After the hospital episode and the enlightening Time article I started contemplating pulling the rip cord on my bodybuilding career.
I tapered off everything, entered a contest and still won even though I was clean for 8 weeks. I stayed clean for the entire summer as I'd done since I'd started cycling 2 years earlier.
As time went on I was feeling stiffer and stiffer. My shoulders hurt so much I had to stop flat benching and hips and back were so bad I had to stop squatting. I knew I was finished with competition forever. I kept training by working around my injuries. I would only perform exercises that wouldn't aggravate my injuries, I used mainly machines.
I wasn't pushing the amount of weight I used to. I was working around injuries. I was off the juice. I started losing weight. Now, instead of weighing 220 I weighed 190 but I still looked ok. I got in the habit of taking an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory or two a day. One day I ran out so I didn't take any for a couple days. I felt so stiff I could barely move! Back then, I didn't know what I know now about sed rate. I thought I was getting addicted to Advil. I went without it because I couldn't bare the thought of "having" to stay on something to feel decent. I got worse, felt nauseous, didn't want to eat, I lost more weight. I then figured I had osteo arthritis from all the pounding my joints took. I tried every natural remedy known to treat osteo arthritis. I first tried shark cartilage. All that gave me was kidney stones - I was urinating out stones the size of peas. They looked like gold nuggets but they weren't worth $500 an ounce. I tried acupuncture, acupressure, DMSO, ems, nothing worked. Then I tried something really radical, bee venom therapy. I got stung by 20 bees a day down my spine for 6 months straight. I had my girl friend catch the bees with tweezers from the jar and then make the bees sting me on certain trigger points. I wonder why she bolted. Nothing worked. Finally a chiropractor looked at an x-ray and noticed that my SI joints were fused together. This is a sign of ankylosing spondilytis (a form of rheumatoid arthritis) which can be brought on by trauma. God knows I've had enough traumas!
I went to see a rheumatologist who prescribed Ansaid and Azulfidine. They gave me some relief but later the Ansaid was giving me bleeding ulcers so I had to stop that. I switched to a drug which is virtually identical to Vioxx which was pulled off shelves because of increased risk of heart attack and stroke. I'm also on Enbrel which can have serious side effects. I was prescribed 1 cc twice a week. I take 1/4 of a cc every two weeks. Even though I take such a low dose I still experience crippling migraines, nausea, numbness, feeling of pins & needles and vertigo. For years I wouldn't tell anyone who didn't know me well, that I had anything wrong with me. I'd meet a friend of a friend and they'd ask, "Do you have a stiff neck?" They'd ask this because I have no range of motion in my neck now.
I'd reply, "Yeah, I pulled it doing shrugs."
I would bump in to them a year later and they'd ask, "Your neck's still stiff?"
"Yeah, I keep pulling it."
If I don't take anything for my illness, please know that I'm in so much pain I don't want to live. If I take prescriptions I have less stiffness but I suffer numerous side effects like migraines, vertigo, pins and needles & numbness in my arms and legs, nausea and they're so dangerous I may die from the long term side effects. It's become a vicious cycle.
The real irony is in the fact that I've helped numerous people with their diets and ailments over the years but naturally I can't cure myself. I'm no longer pumping iron, I'm pumping irony.
When I was cycling, I used to humor myself by asking "If steroids are so bad, where are the bodies?" At that time I didn't hear stories about too many people that had serious health problems or any that died from steroids. It turns out the problems take years to manifest and many die prematurely, in their 30's, 40's or 50's instead of their 60's, 70's or 80's. The following are but a few of the many:
Sonny Schmidt died at 46
Scott Klein died at 30
Ron Teufel died at 45
Dan Duchaine died at 48
Mohammed Benaziza died at 28
Andreas Munzer died at 30
Mike Mentzer died at 49
Ray Mentzer died at 47
Don Ross died at 55
Dr. John Tristany died
Don Peters died
Ray Raridon died
Dennis Newman (leukemia)
Orville Burke (coma)
Don Long (kidney failure)
Tom Prince (kidney failure)
Flex Wheeler (kidney transplant)
Tom Prince (kidney failure)
Ed Corney (stroke)
Boyer Coe (heart)
Danny Padilla (heart)
Pete Grymkowski (heart)
Mike Martarazzo 39 (triple bypass heart surgery)
The average US citizen lives to be 77.2 years old. The average citizen doesn't eat right or exercise enough, that's why the obesity rate is at the highest it's ever been. Athletes, especially bodybuilders eat great and exercise a lot. Why are so many dying 20, 30 or even 40 years sooner than the average couch potato?
Could it be the Steroids Vicious Cycle?

Alot of BBers do die a young age but that doesn't mean it's from AAS. Insulin will do much more harm then any AAS when i comes to aging and death,not to mention all the other unhealthy things you damn BBers do :) You forget to take one very important fact into account .. The average person doesn't get as much pussy as the average BBer ;) .. the fact is that Steroids are probably the healthiest thing Pro BBers and other athletes do. Dehydration was the cause of many deaths and when talking about Pro BBers I also don't think the human body was meant to carry that much muscle and it puts alot of stress on the body

Last edited:
I didnt bother to read the article. I saw that it was from the Tyler Hooten website so I already knew it was going to be biased and lack any useful information.

What pisses me off is looking at the list of BBers killed or damaged by AAS. Dan Duchaine died of problems completely unrelated to AAS. One or both of the Mentzers, also completely unrelated. Dennis Newman, leukemia, as far as I know, stems from genetic issues, not from anything external. Im sure that most of the others are BS, too. Andreas Munzer, probably from diuretics.

i used to hear my father say things to me like " with age comes experience and with experience comes wisdom" and " trust me son if you play with fire you will get burned" well somethings are taken on face value. such as........ playing with rattlesnakes, yes you will be bitten and you may die. however;
AAS's are so used and abused because there is an almost immediate POSITIVE reinforcement from the use. the strength the size the confidence that comes from feeling your shirts getting a little tight or the strength increase gets you noticed by people how haven't given you the time of day before. then to top it all off you get asked by other people what are you doing thats works so well for you , or, hey man can i work out with you and see what i am doing wrong........ come on, i don't care who you are or what walk of life you come from there is nothing on this earth that makes you feel like the GEAR makes you feel. Whether you admit it or not that is the reason nobody gives a shit what happened to someone else. POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT// ie. self esteem, confidence, self assurance whatever you want to call it....... it is an addiction/sensation that you can never forget!!
dehydration >>>> whatever!!!!

And then there's my buddy Greg and his brother, both over 60, who have bodies like a 30 year old bodybuilder, and are as healthy as can be.

Greg is on test 3 to 4 times a year, months at a time, this I know from personal knowledge. I don't know how much mike takes.

And then there's me, at 46, started 3 years ago, and feel better than ever before in my life, healthy, yada yada...

Anything done to extremes is stupid. Just because someone has a story about abuse, doesn't mean the thing itself and proper usage is bad.

Actually, I can't believe there are people out there so stupid that I had to say those things.

Anyone who thinks differently is an idiot.

Bob Smith said:
I didnt bother to read the article. I saw that it was from the Tyler Hooten website so I already knew it was going to be biased and lack any useful information.

What pisses me off is looking at the list of BBers killed or damaged by AAS. Dan Duchaine died of problems completely unrelated to AAS. One or both of the Mentzers, also completely unrelated. Dennis Newman, leukemia, as far as I know, stems from genetic issues, not from anything external. Im sure that most of the others are BS, too. Andreas Munzer, probably from diuretics.
yeah Lasix killed Munzer ... i knew someone,if bothering to even read that,would be able to explain how most or all of that list wasn't due to AAS

MANWHORE said:
Is that the same Tyler Animal kicked off his board?
No, its the kid from Texas who killed himself and his parents are blaming AAS as the cause.

MANWHORE said:
Well i guess they had to blame someone or something right?
Maybe his psychological problems that he had for a few years BEFORE AAS. Or the anti-depressants he was on that have been linked to teen suicide. Nah, that would be too obvious and easy.

Bob Smith said:
Maybe his psychological problems that he had for a few years BEFORE AAS. Or the anti-depressants he was on that have been linked to teen suicide. Nah, that would be too obvious and easy.
It had to be the Roid Rage .. it just had to. Doctors prescribe Anti-Depressants so there is no way it could have been that. ... I've been juicing for years and i look great .. alot of people tell me how young i look for my age .. and i also feel great most of the time. My friend has never used AAS because they are so dangerous but he is the one who has high cholesterol,high BP,and pretty much hates life. You do the math ... Ignorant people look at steroids like they are Heroin. They forget steroids were made to help people and are actually good for the body. Abusing anything will have negative consequences but alot of OTC drugs can cause death when abused unlike AAS

Last edited: