Attention Guest: Please make sure that you are using a unique password to login to MESO. If you have used your MESO password on another website, change it immediately. You should NEVER share the same login credentials on multiple websites.

Start up home brew shopping list for supplies

Discussion in 'Steroid Homebrew' started by Evom1, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Hey guys, tractor supply has 60cc syringes, would these be ok to use? They're way cheaper. 2x for $3.79

Soft pack, disposable Producer's Pride Luer Lock Syringe have easy to read, bold graduations to ensure dosing accuracy and a medical grade silicon lubricant inside barrel for smooth accurate delivery. The paper-to-plastic packages are tamper evident to ensure sterility.

• 60cc capacity
    • Pack of 2

Kakarot likes this.
  2. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Also assuming "hexane free" grape seed oil is a better choice than the one that doesn't say it

One more question. How many times can you draw from a vial before risking dropping particles from the stopper into the oil?

Can I use a 100ml and draw 100x for example?
    50ml for 50x?

Or if I'm going to only need 1ml at a time should I just be putting it into 20ml vials?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  3. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Alright so here's my plan

60ml syringe
    18 gauge needles
    Caulking gun
    Zip ties
    Whatman 0.2 syringe filters
    100 ml beaker
    5 ml beaker
    Stirring rods
    Bb
    Ba
    GSO
    Gloves
    Hotplate
    Sealed sterile vials not sure what size to go with here because I'm not sure if it's ok to draw from the same vial 50x or 100x or if this will damage the stopper and risk contaminating the oil with particles?

Anyone see anything I'm missing? I'm going to give it a go the first time with the syringe filter, then get a bottle top filter with vacuum pump. I'm just a little hesitant on that because at least with a syringe filter and pre sealed sterile vials there's basically no chance of it not being sterile.

But when I do switch, it seems like the recommendation is

Vacuum pump
    Whatman 0.2 bottle top filter
    500mg glass media bottle

Does that look right? Everyone seems to advise against the autofil set up that's the filter and media bottle in one sterile package?

4. Evom1

Evom1 Member

If I did go straight to the vacuum pump and still use sterile vials, how do I go from the media bottle to the sealed vials while staying sterile? Is there any sort of sterile cap I can put on the bottle and then draw it out with a syringe and go into the sealed vials? I think I saw that was a septa cap?

5. Digger

Digger Member

They make rubber septums for media bottle too. Sure you could sterilize one, and draw thru that.

6. Evom1

Evom1 Member

45mm PTFE silicone septa? Does that sound right, plus the cap obviously?

Would I just soak these in isopropyl alcohol for a half hour or so?

7. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Jesus except medlab is out of stock and everyone sells them in cases of 50x or 100x!!

8. Digger

Digger Member

Yea that sounds right. Never done it myself. I know they look pretty thick. Might consider a filter needle to draw with so you don't get a chunk of that rubber.

9. Digger

Digger Member

Ouch! You could always backload 60 ml syringes from the media bottle and inject into sterile vials. Depending on how much you brew, that might be a few barrels lol

10. Evom1

Evom1 Member

How safe is that tho? Pulling the plunger out of the 60 and having it exposed to air while pouring oil through air into the barrel of the 60? Is that contaminating it?

11. Digger

Digger Member

Yea it's not perfect, could be done tho.

Lot of people fill vials without a flow hood. Though if you can afford one, it's nice to have for many things

12. Evom1

Evom1 Member

@LordSamuilo @Docd187123 any input here?

13. LordSamuilo

LordSamuilo Member

I dont think it would be a huge contamination risk and ive heard of people doing the same thing . But , it sounds like it would be a pain in the ass ... just buy a pipetor/pipettes or I personally just use cheap disposable pipettes and transfer right out of the media bottle to my serum vials ... a little air exposure isnt the end of the world , and assuming your working in a sterile work space(as sterile as possible in a non lab set up) it will be perfectly fine .

Edit : If you have the cash to burn you can buy a bottle top dispenser . pricier than pipettes by a lot lol , but more sterile...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  14. LordSamuilo

LordSamuilo Member

And you can get media septa's off amazon and a couple other places for cheap . I just dont personally use them , it only takes a few minutes to pipe out your oil from the media bottle to your vials so i feel like the risk to reward (to not have to draw a shit ton of oil out with a syringe) is low. But for the sake of sterility your definitely better off getting the septa's , just putting it out there so it doesn't get confused at what im saying.

15. Evom1

Evom1 Member

I'll check it out. I couldn't find any 45mm when I looked. That would be convenient

I'm guessing there must be large pipettes. The only ones I've found are like 1-5ml maybe

16. LordSamuilo

LordSamuilo Member

Yeah there are a bunch of different types , size , and length pipettes you can get . You'll just have to search around alittle bit for what you need , i just use amazon or whatever supplier pops up on google shop . You could even just us3 a 60 ml syringe , thing is its just hard to maunuver inside your media bottle...

I mean the media septa's are nice , but even that isnt stoping your brew from being exposed to the air . You still have to fill your open vials , so they just cut down the time its exposed . I just opt to get them filled and capped as fast and painless as possible . The main thing is making sure the area you brewing in is as clean as possible . Cover any near by vents to cut down on air movement so you dont have a bunch of dander floating around, disinfect anything youre gonna be touching and working surface , dont let the family dog sit on your lap while you brew lol (jk but you get what im saying) ...

NorthMich likes this.
  17. Evom1

Evom1 Member

But I already got him his own mask and lab suit =(

The first time I was going to use sealed vials just while I figure things out. After that I'll do open ones. But I figured I'd invest in a bottle top filter right off rather than the syringe filter

18. LordSamuilo

LordSamuilo Member

Well shit he's good to go then lol...

But syringe filtering into sterile sealed vials , is a pain in the ass , but its the only way everything is staying self contained in a homebrew set up.. unless you invest in an extremely expensive and elaborate homebrew set up there are gonna be some gaps in sterility. Just midagate those risk as much as possible and youll be good.

19. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

It's not big pharma practice but if it's your own personal shit it'll be fine.

20. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Thank you. I know I'm probably being paranoid but.... It's stuff to put in one's body, so I want to be safe

Kakarot and Docd187123 like this.