TLDR: Scientists discover quitting steroids sucks. Hope to make it suck less

Award
OR24-02. Modelling the Factors Associated With Sexual and Mood Symptoms Within the First Year of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Cessation in Men​

June 2, 2024, 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM205ABC - BCEC

Authors
B. Grant
1, J. Kean2, N. L. de Silva1, O. Quinton1, P. Bassett3, J. McVeigh4, A. Lingford-Hughes1, S. Minhas5, S. Bhasin6, W. S. Dhillo1, C. N. Jayasena1;
1Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom, 2Bradford Metropolitan District Council, Bradford, United Kingdom, 3Statsconsultancy Ltd, Amersham, United Kingdom, 4Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, United Kingdom, 5Charing Cross Hospital, London, United Kingdom, 6Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
Disclosures
B. Grant:
None. J. Kean: None. N.L. de Silva: None. O. Quinton: None. P. Bassett: None. J. McVeigh: None. A. Lingford-Hughes: None. S. Minhas: None. S. Bhasin: None. W.S. Dhillo: None. C.N. Jayasena: None.

Abstract

Context
Anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS) are misused by millions of men worldwide to boost muscle size and physical performance. Recent studies have quantified the recovery of cardiovascular markers and testicular function following AAS cessation. Qualitative studies demonstrate that low mood, anxiety, suicidal ideation, and sexual dysfunction are also common following AAS cessation. However, no previous study has focused on quantifying symptoms within the first year of AAS cessation, nor investigated independently associated factors for these symptoms.
Methods Cross-sectional, observational study of 165 men in 3 groups; non-AAS (n=43); current-AAS (n=76); past-AAS ≤1 year (n=46). All participants completed questions on substance misuse, Beck Depression Inventory-II (BDI-II), International Index Erectile Function-15 (IIEF-15), General Anxiety Disorder (GAD-7), Quality-of-life (SF-36), and underwent fasting, morning blood sampling with urine toxicology.
Results As expected, current-AAS had lower gonadotropins and elevated serum total testosterone compared with past-AAS and non-AAS. Sexual function measured using IIEF-15 was impaired in men stopping AAS <1year (past-AAS) compared with current AAS users: (1) total: 69.0 [95% CI 64.0, 71.0], current-AAS; 61.0 [95% CI 56.0, 66.0], past-AAS; p=0.077; (2) erectile function: 30.0 [95% CI 29.0, 30.0], current-AAS; 28 [95% CI 21.0, 29.0], past-AAS; p=0.015; (3) sexual desire: 9.0 [95% CI 8.0, 10.0], current-AAS; 6.0 [95% CI 5.0, 8.0], past-AAS; p<0.0001; (4) overall satisfaction: 10.0 [95% CI 8.0, 10.0], current-AAS; 7.0 [95% CI 7.0, 8.0], past-AAS; p=0.002. Multivariable analysis suggested that psychiatric comorbidity (coefficient -6.5 [95% CI -13.0, -1.3] p=0.03) and AAS cessation (coefficient -10.8 [95% CI -5.6, -17.2]; p<0.001) were associated with lower total IIEF-15 scores.Depression scoring was worse in the past-AAS group compared with non-AAS: BDI-II 4.0 [95% CI 2.0, 7.0], non-AAS; 7.0 [95% CI 4.0, 16.0], past-AAS; p=0.0448. Multivariable analysis suggested that psychiatric comorbidity (OR 2.39 [95% CI 1.60, 3.57]; p<0.001) and lower serum total testosterone (OR 0.85 [95% CI 0.88, 0.94]; p=0.002) were associated with higher BDI-II scores.Energy and fatigue measured using SF-36 was lower in the past-AAS group compared with non-AAS: 70 [95% CI 65, 75], non-AAS; 60 [95% CI 50, 65], past-AAS; p=0.0498. No significant differences in anxiety scoring were detected.
Discussion We report the first, detailed quantification and modelling of symptoms in men currently misusing and stopped AAS within the previous year. These data reveal potentially treatable factors to improve symptoms of AAS cessation if proven within interventional studies.

Source: Program Planner

A year is not a long time. Anyone can deal with feeling a bit down-regulated for a year.

I quit back in August of 2022. I had been cycling for about 8 years prior to that. Its true, I experienced side effects for about a full year. Mostly in the realm of sexual function. I essentially couldn't function without PDE5 inhibition. My performance in weightlifting, however, was essentially unaffected. I could still train at full intensity and felt plenty energetic in that realm, which is my main priority anyway.

Now, I am completely clean for almost two years. My total and free testosterone are better than what I tested at back before cycling. I am the strongest I have ever been on a pound for pound basis. I am smaller but significantly healthier (and leaner). People overestimate the difficulty of quitting and going back to a natural state. If you used responsibly and learned from your time on, you can still be plenty strong (if not stronger) and continue to train hard.

To be clear, during my first year of abstinence, I used raloxifene, enclomiphene, and aromasin intermittently. I completely resolved my above-mentioned sexual deficits as well as a small gynecomastia mass on one side. Total testosterone tested about 6 months ago at 800 ng / deciliter.

A year is not a long time. Anyone can deal with feeling a bit down-regulated for a year.

I quit back in August of 2022. I had been cycling for about 8 years prior to that. Its true, I experienced side effects for about a full year. Mostly in the realm of sexual function. I essentially couldn't function without PDE5 inhibition. My performance in weightlifting, however, was essentially unaffected. I could still train at full intensity and felt plenty energetic in that realm, which is my main priority anyway.

Now, I am completely clean for almost two years. My total and free testosterone are better than what I tested at back before cycling. I am the strongest I have ever been on a pound for pound basis. I am smaller but significantly healthier (and leaner). People overestimate the difficulty of quitting and going back to a natural state. If you used responsibly and learned from your time on, you can still be plenty strong (if not stronger) and continue to train hard.

To be clear, during my first year of abstinence, I used raloxifene, enclomiphene, and aromasin intermittently. I completely resolved my above-mentioned sexual deficits as well as a small gynecomastia mass on one side. Total testosterone tested about 6 months ago at 800 ng / deciliter.

Do you intend to refrain from TRT as you experience age related T decline?

This read made me so happy. About to start PCT after being on for 10 years and I dont plan on hopping on anything that affects my HPTA in the future if I can get it to work again.
Didnt u use HCG? How long was your PCT I plan on doing it for 6-7 months.