Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

In their https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B071L5C5HG&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_tziDAb71B81KR&tag=thewaspos09-20 (great new book on how democracies backslide), Daniel Ziblatt and Steven Levitsky identify traits common to rulers with autocratic tendencies that Trump has exhibited as a candidate and president. One is “capturing the referees” — neutralizing institutional checks on power.

In an interview with me today, Ziblatt said that the actions around the Nunes memo carried “very ominous echoes” of the “first moves” of other elected autocrats.

They “begin by politicizing law enforcement agencies, turning them into shields to defend themselves from investigation and prosecution and weapons to target opponents,” Ziblatt said. “This is always done by firing or forcing out neutral officials and loading up law enforcement agencies with ‘friendly’ officials.”

Another key ingredient in democratic backsliding, https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B071L5C5HG&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_tziDAb71B81KR&tag=thewaspos09-20 (they write), is “abdication,” in which under unified government, members of the elected leader’s party enable him to “get away with abusive” and “even authoritarian acts.”

Ziblatt noted that this episode may end up showcasing that, as well. After all, Republican leaders have backed the release of the memo even though https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/02/01/as-mueller-closes-in-on-trump-the-republican-cover-up-intensifies/?utm_term=.a0788ca9e1c1 (they know full well why Trump wants it released). Republicans assert that they are merely exercising oversight over our intelligence agencies — which is, of course, entirely appropriate — but their particular handling of this affair https://crooked.com/article/release-the-memo-gop/.

“The key determinant of what happens here is whether partisan allies — in this case, the Republicans in Congress — abdicate in their constitutional duty,” Ziblatt told me. “Where governing parties are complicit in executive efforts to pack law enforcement, intelligence and other bodies, the results can be incredibly damaging.”

A top Democrat is rebutting a controversial memo released by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, calling the four-page document"deliberately misleading" and a backhanded ploy to derail the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

The http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/TODAY/z_Creative/inline-headers/FINAL%20DRAFT%20--%20Dear%20Colleague%20on%20Nunes%20Memo.pdf, D-N.Y. the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, was obtained by NBC News and reportedly sent to other Democrats in the House on Saturday.

Nadler, who said he is one of the few who has seen the full surveillance warrant that the Nunes memo focuses on, denounced Republicans and called the memo "shoddy work."

"Until now, we could only really accuse House Republicans of ignoring the President’s open attempts to block the Russia investigation," he wrote. "But with the release of the Nunes memo — a backhanded attempt to cast doubt on the origins of the Special Counsel’s investigation — we can only conclude that House Republicans are complicit in the effort to help the President avoid accountability for his actions and for the actions of his campaign."

Nadler took on four key points in an attempt to dismantle the document as a whole.

• Nadler says the FISA court, which approved the surveillance warrant, found probable cause that Page was an agent of the Russian government and the Nunes memo does not detail the other possible evidence the bureau showed the court.

• Christopher Steele, who authored the dossier on behalf of Fusion GPS, is an expert on Russia and organized crime and appeared not to know who hired him, Nadler said, adding the Nunes memo also does not provide any evidence that many findings in the dossier are incorrect.

• If the president wants to fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, this memo does not give him any authority to do so, Nadler said. Many have wondered whether Rosenstein, who oversees Special Counsel Robert Mueller, would resign or Trump would fire him after release of the memo. Nadler says the memo focuses on events that happened before Rosenstein took office. "If the President is looking to fire Mr. Rosenstein, he will have to look outside the Nunes memo for his pretext," Nadler writes.

• Nadler says the memo is definitive proof that House Republicans are complicit in helping the president avoid accountability for his actions or the actions of his campaign during the election.

COLOR MY MEMO
https://claytoonz.com/2018/02/05/color-my-memo/

According to Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee, the key to destroying the Trump campaign was through….Carter Page. Yeah, OK then.

The Republican talking point is that the FBI had it out for Trump and was trying to elect Hillary Clinton. That ignores the fact the FBI made a huge statement about reopening the investigation into Clinton (mere days before the election) and her server, and withheld from the public that they were also investigating figures in the Trump campaign.

The memo written by Congressman Devin Nunes, chairman of the Intelligence Committee, obstructs the very mission of the committee that bears “intelligence” in the name.

The committee lead by Republicans has stopped investigating and has begun obstructing. The “memo” is only about obstructing. It’s totally political, and if it only contained the notes that’s displayed in this cartoon, Republicans would say it vindicates Trump.

Donald Trump Jr. went on Fox/Trump TV and stated this memo is revenge for his family. He has yet to learn that he shouldn’t talk to the press. His statement reveals that everything about the Trump presidency is about Trump.

When Trump was leaving the Capitol after his State of the Union speech, he told a Republican Congressman the memo would be released, despite the fact he hadn’t read it yet. Or had he?

When Devin Nunes was asked by colleagues if the White House had any input into the memo, he refused to answer. The question would have been harmless if the answer would have also been harmless. Nunes has a reputation that he can’t be trusted with classified information. He’s also shown he is a stooge for Trump, as he’s used his position as chairman to deflect for Trump, and even inform Trump where the investigation is going.

The memo fails to accuse the FBI of breaking the law. The memo actually states that the FBI followed proper procedure. But, it does it’s job in that Trump sycophants can continue to believe in conspiracies.

The memo is not about an American’s rights being violated or justice. That American being Carter Page. The memo deflects from the fact that Trump had a Russian-paid mole on his campaign team. Well, at least one Russian mole. The memo isn’t about all the information being released to the public, as we’ve yet to see the Democrat’s memo. The memo is a pretense to help Trump get rid of people who are actually investigating him.

If we’re not in a Constitutional crisis, we’re nearing it. We’re almost at point break.

One of two things need to happen. The Democrats need to take Congress because Republicans have proven that no matter what laws Trump breaks, they will not defend our nation from him. The other thing, Robert Mueller needs to find a way to indict Donald Trump without an impeachment because the Republican congress will not do their job.

Creative notes: I drew this cartoon Sunday afternoon. I drew the rough, took a nap, then woke up and completed the cartoon. I went out to watch the Superbowl instead of publishing it because I was working on something else while I was working on the cartoon.

Here’s the thing: A new feature is coming. It’s going to be a companion piece to the cartoons, much like my columns. I teased about it on social media and now I’m teasing you.

I wrote that it scares me and some people took that as in it’s dangerous or crosses lines. It doesn’t really do that. It scary in that it intimidates me with the tech I have to learn. I’m getting old and I’m stupid and learning new things is hard. The fear is in that it’s going to expose me more to the public. Plus, it’ll make me do three things for each cartoon. Draw cartoon, write blog, new project. Like I don’t get enough sleep already.

I believe there’s nothing wrong with fear, as long as you confront it. I believe this project is worth it. I’ve set my mind on it and I’m stubborn, so it’ll be done. In fact, it’s almost there.

I have three more things to learn and then you can see it. No other cartoonist is doing this and I believe it’ll be copied, and maybe someone will do it better. What do I know? Maybe it’ll be as much of a dud as the Nunes Memo. I’m trying to undersell it and keep expectations low, even though I’m putting a lot of work into this.

DVQ1vzrVQAAs3KD.jpg

However, Trump distributes money from the treasury in a situation where businesses are doing well anyway and many businesses are finding it increasingly difficult to fill their vacancies. This means that companies have to pay higher wages and the increased labor costs will pass them on to consumers in the form of higher prices. Inflation is rising and the central bank is likely to react with higher interest rates - and higher interest rates are poison for the stock markets.

If this process went well, it would be unproblematic and even welcome. After all, nothing bothers them when, for a change, it is not the shareholders who profit from the upswing in the form of higher wages. But the risk of a disorderly correction of the exchange rate is increased by Donald Trump's billion-dollar tax gift, which is extremely badly timed in terms of economic policy. In other words, it can no longer be ruled out that the crash will come. Maybe not this week or this month, but maybe later this year.

For Trump, who likes to adorn himself with the good numbers of the stock market, that would politically be a major setback, especially since elections are pending in the fall. But even on this side of the Atlantic, a quake on the American stock market would not be without consequences. Finally, the European Central Bank also wants to gradually raise interest rates. She probably would not want that if it went downhill with the American economy.

Whether all this happens, is still open. Trump, for example, would not be powerless when a crash threatens. He has just filled the top posts at the US Central Bank with a confidant . The central bank could try to fuel the stock markets by lowering interest rates. But if investors come to the conclusion that this will only postpone the day of settlement, it will not work.

Thus, 2018 could be the year when the calm on the financial markets is over. In any case, the first analysis has already indicated that the Dow Jones fell exactly 666 points last Friday - in the Revelation of John in the Bible, this number stands for the evil forces that bring disaster to the earth at the end of time.
Finanzmarkt: Kommt jetzt der Crash?

27654597_1606158862803463_7121677959211680137_n.jpg

SEOUL—When North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un suggested in a New Year address that his country might be open to participating in the Winter Olympics, South Korea’s president and top aides quickly convened to craft a friendly response.

U.S. officials, however, weren’t included in those consultations and, to their consternation, were notified just hours before Seoul announced its proposal to Pyongyang for negotiations.

North Korea’s surprise outreach and South Korea’s opening to its northern rival have stirred tensions between Seoul and Washington—despite professed unity in public statements—as the allies work to present a common front in dealing with Pyongyang, according to senior U.S. and South Korean officials.