Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Shout out today to the 100 million people who didn’t vote in 2016. Hope the hour you saved that day in November was worth it.

And if it wasn’t, there’s another hour coming up next month, and we could really use your presence.

- John Pavlovitz

I don't vote because it's against my morals. I also have the math skills to figure out how little my vote as an individual really counts, which is exactly nothing.

I would have to be a left or right groupie to cast an effective vote, and neither the left nor the right give a rat's ass about the innocent lives being destroyed by the wars our nation has started or is supporting. I do.

So I like to watch the circus, but have no interest in feeding the elephants - or the donkeys for that mater. A pox on both your houses.

What happens if you don’t vote?

There are several possible answers to this question.

I think that the most obvious answer is that if you don’t vote, you cannot have any positive influence over the election. The only influence you can possibly have is passive in nature. You have decided by not voting, that whatever those who do vote decide, will be suitable to you.

Here is where it gets complicated

In the US, just about every major election is decided by a minority. That isn’t what a democracy is supposed to be. But when you consider that something on the order of 40% of our eligible voters don’t bother to fill out a ballot, that leaves it up to the other 60% to decide the outcome of the election. If as is usually the case, the vote is fairly evenly split along party lines, that means that about 30% of the voters are actually deciding the outcome of an election that affects 100% of our citizens.

And ironically, the least popular side in an election is the one that will benefit from low voter turnout. So it can be said that if you don’t vote at all, you are helping to elect the politician who is least popular, which is just the opposite of what a democracy is supposed to be.

- Don Emerson

What happens if you don’t vote?

There are several possible answers to this question.

I think that the most obvious answer is that if you don’t vote, you cannot have any positive influence over the election. The only influence you can possibly have is passive in nature. You have decided by not voting, that whatever those who do vote decide, will be suitable to you.

Here is where it gets complicated

In the US, just about every major election is decided by a minority. That isn’t what a democracy is supposed to be. But when you consider that something on the order of 40% of our eligible voters don’t bother to fill out a ballot, that leaves it up to the other 60% to decide the outcome of the election. If as is usually the case, the vote is fairly evenly split along party lines, that means that about 30% of the voters are actually deciding the outcome of an election that affects 100% of our citizens.

And ironically, the least popular side in an election is the one that will benefit from low voter turnout. So it can be said that if you don’t vote at all, you are helping to elect the politician who is least popular, which is just the opposite of what a democracy is supposed to be.

- Don Emerson
It really depends what state you're in. In a swing state voting is very important. States like California and Tennessee there's really no point. They already know the outcome

It would be naive to depend on the Supreme Court to defend the rights of poor people, women, people of color, dissenters of all kinds. Those rights only come alive when citizens organize, protest, demonstrate, strike, boycott, rebel, and violate the law in order to uphold justice.

She looks like René Belloq, the archaeologist who teams with the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark and has his head (spoiler alert!) blown up by God.