Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Steve Schmidt: This isn’t a question about media bias. What we are seeing is five things. We are seeing somebody go to mass rallies, constantly lie to inside fervor and a cult of personality base, we are seeing him make victimization honorable. They are all victims. We are seeing the allegation of conspiracy, the deep state, hidden, nefarious movements that only the leader can see. we see the scapegoating of minority populations, vulnerable populations, and lastly, the assertion that I need to exercise these powers that no president has ever claimed to have. This is deliberate. this is an assault on objective Truth. Once you get people to surrender their sovereignty, what is true is what the leader says is true, what is true is what the leader believes is true, even though what is true is staring you in the face, when that happens, you are no longer living in a Democratic republic. 35% of this country has checked out. They have joined a cult. They are obedient. They are obedient to the leader. And this is straight out of “1984,” with Winston at the end of the book, when the party official is holding up her four fingers, and Winston says in tears I see only four, and the leader of the party says it could be three or five, it is what the party tells you, and that is when democracy dies in America.

Steve Schmidt: Democracy is in regression All over the world. in Poland, Hungary, Austria, Italy, we see the rise of autocrats and autocracies and to see an american president cheerleading at is as scandalous as it is disturbing, but the assaults on the rule of law, the lawlessness of this president, the attacks in our institutions, this may all be much more fragile and it certainly is more fragile I think that I thought it was, but the truth of the matter is this, when we look back at history to the 1930s, fascism did not rise because it was a strong, but rather because democracy was impotent and weak. And when you have a country now whre 80% of people born in the 1930s thinks it’s essential to live in a democracy, you ask the same question to people born in the 80s, the number is 25%. That is a profound crisis and America, America is under attack by the Russian Federation that is trying to eradicate trust, faith, and belief in the American republic and our democratic institutions, and our political leadership and the majority party is complicit in it. If they are defending this country, and they are unfaithful to their oath of office and to the constitution of the United States.

Real Time with Bill Maher (August 3, 2018) - Full Transcript - Scraps from the loft

Last edited: