Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

SHAKE YOUR COLLUSION
https://claytoonz.com/2018/12/03/shake-your-collusion/

Denial is not a river in Egypt or a mountain in Alaska. It’s a perpetual state one must remain in to be a Donald Trump supporter.

Have you ever talked to a Trump supporter? It’s not just hopeful optimism they express for their leader. They deny stuff that actually exists. It’s like they never read the news. That’s where their denial starts.

Any news that’s negative on Trump is “fake news.” Many don’t believe Hillary Clinton won more votes than Trump. They don’t believe Trump is racist or sexist despite a history of racist comments and sexists behavior. They don’t recognize that our current economy is a trend started under Obama. Some of them actually denied it rained during his inauguration. They deny voter suppression is ongoing. Leading up to the midterms, they denied Democrats would take the House. A lot of them actually think Trump has great hair.

Their greatest denial is over Trump and Russia. They don’t see Trump being subservient to Vladimir Putin. They don’t believe Russia meddled. If there was any collusion, it was done by the Clinton campaign. One of their most repeated arguments is that there is no evidence that Trump or his campaign colluded with Russia.

Never mind the fact that none of them work for Robert Mueller in the Special Counsel’s office preventing them from knowing what he knows. But, they ignore that there were Russians in Trump Tower meeting with his son, son-in-law, and campaign manager. Somehow, writing a dossier is greater evidence of collusion that inviting spies into your building. They deny Russia engaged in a social media campaign when they were the very targets it worked on. They deny there are troll farms when they’re the cattle. They don’t seem to recall Trump asking Russia for help on the campaign trail or that he said more than once, “I love Wikileaks.” He may as well have shouted, “I love colluding.”

Even after Cohen’s guilty plea last week and news came out on his plea deal with the Special Counsel’s office, I still heard a few Trump sycophants say there wasn’t any evidence of collusion. They either haven’t watched any actual news since before last Thursday, or they don’t understand the definition of “evidence.”

When the Special Counsel finally makes his case, I expect we’ll see a lot of evidence. Well, the majority of the nation will see it. There will continue to be a large number of Republicans with blind spots.

I have been in an earthquake where some people didn’t feel anything, but for Trump supporters, the building is about to come crashing down on them. I’m looking forward to them feeling it.

cjones12072018.jpg

If President Donald Trump appears to be rattled by special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation now — and his extraordinary tweets on the subject suggest that he has — just wait.

Over the next few weeks, a series of court filings are due that may shed substantial light on what Mueller has learned from people who once sat in Trump's inner circle.

That could happen as soon as Tuesday, when Mueller is scheduled to file a detailed memo in support of the sentencing of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn. That memo would include information about any "bad acts" Flynn committed for which he was not charged, and details about his cooperation with the special counsel.

It's possible that filing will be sealed, which means the public won't see it until later. But on Friday, another filing is expected that legal experts say probably will not be sealed — a detailed explanation of why Mueller's office is withdrawing a plea agreement with former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, including the "crimes and lies" Mueller alleges Manafort committed while he purported to be cooperating with the special counsel.

The non-“state-run” news media immediately understood the potential significance of this development and acted accordingly. However, Trump’s core backers (“Cult 45” has I have referred to them for the past two years) have no clue why this news is even remotely important, and see it as yet another sign that their fearless leader has been right to refer to the Mueller investigation as a “witch hunt.”

Obviously there are those in the cult who would not care, or would not believe their own eyes and ears, if Trump announced live on national television that he indeed colluded with Russia because they have compromising information on him, and lied about it all along. Most of “Cult 45” likes to at least pretend, however, that there are solid reasons for their 100% support of Trump on virtually every possible topic, and they honestly seem to think that the Cohen news is another big nothing-burger, which is being overhyped by the “Fake News!” media.

Intellectually, the biggest disconnect is that Trump’s biggest supporters look at every new piece of information in a vacuum (we already knew that Trump wanted to build Trump Tower Moscow, so who cares?!), while more seasoned and objective observers see the case Mueller is building as pieces in a large puzzle starting to take form. To change the metaphor slightly, Trump supporters have their faces up too close to a giant mural and they cannot, or will not, see the bigger picture.

Trump, or course, understands this reality and is an absolute master at exploiting it. His defense against Cohen’s claims appear to be scattershot and inherently contradictory (Cohen is totally lying, but what he said also perfectly matches what I told Mueller), but in actuality he is simply providing his backers a buffet table of options from which to choose their preferred alibi.

One of the keys to Trump’s manipulative mastery is that, no matter what the new revelation is, he treats it as if it is not really new (even when it absolutely is). And claims that it not only isn’t a bad thing, but that what he did was actually was quite good. Obviously it helps greatly when your side is not remotely restricted by the truth because you have already established the expectation that lying is perfectly acceptable, and even expected.

So while I am well aware that it will fall on deaf ears, I still feel compelled to explain why the latest Cohen news, in a rational world, is indeed quite important. Interestingly, this case can be easily made even if there was no actual campaign “collusion” with Russia.

There are at least two key elements of Cohen’s plea that are unequivocally bad for Trump and that appear to have no logical or suitable explanation. The first is that Cohen lied, with at least Trump’s knowledge, about the timing of the prospective property deal with Russia, and the second is how the new timeline changes the perception of other events we already know about.

One of the keys to Trump’s manipulative mastery is that, no matter what the new revelation is, he treats it as if it is not really new (even when it absolutely is). And claims that it not only isn’t a bad thing, but that what he did was actually was quite good. Obviously it helps greatly when your side is not remotely restricted by the truth because you have already established the expectation that lying is perfectly acceptable, and even expected.

So while I am well aware that it will fall on deaf ears, I still feel compelled to explain why the latest Cohen news, in a rational world, is indeed quite important. Interestingly, this case can be easily made even if there was no actual campaign “collusion” with Russia.

Jerome Corsi Files Criminal Complaint Against Mueller Team

Former InfoWars D.C. bureau chief Jerome Corsi on Monday filed a criminal complaint against special counsel Robert Mueller, accusing prosecutors of attempting to coerce him into providing “false testimony.”

Filed by Freedom Watch founder Larry Klayman, the complaint asks the Justice Department to launch a criminal and ethics investigation into the tactics of Mueller and investigators under him.

The complaint states: “Special Counsel Mueller and his prosecutorial staff should respectfully be removed from his office and their practice of the law and a new Special Counsel appointed who respects and will obey common and accepted norms of professional ethics and the law and who will promptly conclude the so-called Russian collusion investigation which had been illegally and criminally spinning out of control.”

Corsi announced last Monday he would not agree to a plea agreement with Mueller, pleading guilty to one count of perjury.

“They can put me in prison the rest of my life. I am not going to sign a lie,” he told CNN.

In the lengthy complaint, Corsi denied possing prior knowledge of plans by WikiLeaks to release the emails of Hillary Clinton campaign officials. “Employing his professional skills and considerable experience as an analyst and investigative journalist, Dr. Corsi logically concluded that WikiLeaks would release Podesta’s emails soon in a second round ‘data dump’ from the same group of DNC emails stolen on July 5, 2016,” according to the complaint.

A draft court filing via Mueller claims Corsi made false statements regarding an exchange he shared with political operative Roger Stone, in which the pair discussed the email dump targeting Clinton.

“Word is friend in embassy plans 2 more dumps,” Corsi wrote Stone in an email. “One shortly after I’m back. 2nd in Oct. Impact planned to be very damaging.”

“Time to let more than (Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta) to be exposed as in bed w enemy if they are not ready to drop HRC (Hillary Rodham Clinton),” Corsi added. “That appears to be the game hackers are now about.”

Klayman also filed the complaint with the Office of Disciplinary Counsel in Washington, D.C., asking the body to probe the special counsel for possible breaches in professional responsibility under the bar’s rules and regulations.

“In filing this Complaint, my client is not only standing up for his own legal and constitutional rights, but also those of the American people,” the lawyer said in a statement. “This rogue government tyranny perpetrated by a Special Counsel and his prosecutorial staff, which is designed to effectively overthrow a duly elected president by coercing and extorting false testimony from Dr. Corsi and others, cannot be permitted in a civilized society.”

The Office of the Special counsel has not commented publicly on the complaint

The president of the United States should spend more time reading Lawfare.

If he did, last August, he might have read the analysis we ran by Sarah Grant, Sabrina McCubbin, Yishai Schwartz and Benjamin Wittes regarding the potential applicability of federal witness tampering laws to the president’s public statements. And so he might have know why it was probably a bad idea this morning to tweet: ...

Our colleagues concluded their article by noting that “Mueller’s prosecutors would be foolish to focus on the president’s comments about Manafort as a stand-alone obstruction matter” but that those comments “could form part of a larger obstructive pattern—a part that exists outside of the exercise of core Article II presidential functions.” We agree with that assessment as a practical matter, but there is a risk here of missing the trees for the the forest.

Yes, the president’s larger course of conduct is relevant to demonstrating his overall obstructive intent, and it helps smooth some of the edges of legal theories that don’t neatly apply to the exercise of Article II powers: examining a larger pattern of behavior means there's no need to get bogged down in the question of, for example, whether a president can obstruct justice by giving the FBI director an order that it is his constitutional prerogative to give. But wholly apart from the president's larger course of conduct, discrete violations of criminal statutes are important for a number of reasons. The principle way a president defends the “rule of law,” after all, is by actually following the law. We’d suggest that the president attempting to influence witnesses in the broad daylight of Twitter is as significant a breach of his constitutional duty as it would be if he were to secretly promise pardons in private—both are, in and of themselves, impeachable offenses.

True, the president may have also committed other offenses. But the seriousness of this individual transgression, even standing alone, should not be lost.