Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

[Trumpidiots, Trumptards, ...]

First daughter Ivanka Trump found herself mocked on social media after an old tweet she wrote misquoting Albert Einstein resurfaced on Sunday.

Her quote, which was written in June 2013, was picked up by one eagle-eyed Twitter user and widely shared, with people unsure if she simply misquoted a longer quote from Einstein that was actually mocking the idea of changing facts, or whether she was sharing something Einstein never said at all.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein ‪#quote ‪#sunday” Ivanka wrote in the old post on Twitter.

The criticism of her initial tweet appeared to begin when one Twitter user shared it and wrote: “The fact that Einstein never said any such thing only makes this tweet that much more perfect,” prompting an argument between those who backed Ivanka, those who said the quote wasn’t real and a third group who said the quote was taken out of context and was in fact criticizing those who change facts.

“As the Scout Law says: ‘A Scout is trustworthy, loyal’—we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that,” Trump said, and paused there. The assembled scouts shouted the rest of it for him: “…helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.”

Like millions of other boys, I grew up reciting that creed on weekends. I had always taken it to be a list of obligations; its lessons that the path to leadership lay in serving others, and that there are ideals greater than self-interest. The Scout Oath is a pledge to “do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law,” to subordinate self gratification to the pursuit of that litany of virtues.

So when Trump paused at “loyal”—when he interjected, “we could use some more loyalty”—I was stunned. This is the president who told James Comey, “I expect loyalty.” Over the weekend, he’d inveighed against Republicans who “do very little to protect their President.” And there he was, looking out at a sea of Scouts, telling them that “Boy Scout values are American values,” apparently unaware that his own definition of loyalty—something that he himself is owed—is precisely the opposite of the definition those Scouts are taught to embrace—something that we owe to others.

“The Boy Scouts of America must not … involve Scouting in political matters,” the group’s Rules and Regulations plainly state. But a presidential visit—Clinton would come to the next Jamboree, in 1997—was about the place that scouting occupied in the civic fabric of the nation. It wasn’t about politics. Or at least, it wasn’t supposed to be.

That’s the line that Trump crossed on Monday night, the same one he crossed on the Ford, and at the CIA, and at the Al Smith dinner. It’s the interjection of partisan politics into a space where it doesn’t belong. And every time he does it, every time he goes before some nonpartisan group and speaks to its members as if they had come to attend a campaign rally, a little more of our shared civic culture gets chipped away. He’s not the first to erode such lines, but he stands apart for his persistent disregard.

“As the Scout Law says: ‘A Scout is trustworthy, loyal’—we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that,” Trump said, and paused there. The assembled scouts shouted the rest of it for him: “…helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.”

Like millions of other boys, I grew up reciting that creed on weekends. I had always taken it to be a list of obligations; its lessons that the path to leadership lay in serving others, and that there are ideals greater than self-interest. The Scout Oath is a pledge to “do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law,” to subordinate self gratification to the pursuit of that litany of virtues.

So when Trump paused at “loyal”—when he interjected, “we could use some more loyalty”—I was stunned. This is the president who told James Comey, “I expect loyalty.” Over the weekend, he’d inveighed against Republicans who “do very little to protect their President.” And there he was, looking out at a sea of Scouts, telling them that “Boy Scout values are American values,” apparently unaware that his own definition of loyalty—something that he himself is owed—is precisely the opposite of the definition those Scouts are taught to embrace—something that we owe to others.

“The Boy Scouts of America must not … involve Scouting in political matters,” the group’s Rules and Regulations plainly state. But a presidential visit—Clinton would come to the next Jamboree, in 1997—was about the place that scouting occupied in the civic fabric of the nation. It wasn’t about politics. Or at least, it wasn’t supposed to be.

That’s the line that Trump crossed on Monday night, the same one he crossed on the Ford, and at the CIA, and at the Al Smith dinner. It’s the interjection of partisan politics into a space where it doesn’t belong. And every time he does it, every time he goes before some nonpartisan group and speaks to its members as if they had come to attend a campaign rally, a little more of our shared civic culture gets chipped away. He’s not the first to erode such lines, but he stands apart for his persistent disregard.

A leading psychiatry group has told its members they should not feel bound by a longstanding rule against commenting publicly on the mental state of public figures — even the president.

The statement, an email this month from the executive committee of the American Psychoanalytic Association to its 3,500 members, represents the first significant crack in the profession’s decades-old united front aimed at preventing experts from discussing the psychiatric aspects of politicians’ behavior. It will likely make many of its members feel more comfortable speaking openly about President Trump’s mental health.

That responsibility is especially great today, she told STAT, “since Trump’s behavior is so different from anything we’ve seen before” in a commander in chief.

An increasing number of psychologists and psychiatrists have denounced the restriction as a “gag rule” and flouted it, with some arguing they have a “duty to warn” the public about what they see as Trump’s narcissism, impulsivity, poor attention span, paranoia, and other traits that, they believe, impair his ability to lead.

WASHINGTON—U.S. President Donald Trump bragged about his election victory, insulted Hillary Clinton, attacked the “fake news,” told bizarre stories, said untrue things.

In other words, it was a typical Trump rally. Except he was speaking to children.

Trump appeared Monday evening at the 19th National Boy Scout Jamboree in West Virginia. Speaking to some 40,000 people, most of whom were boys under 18, Trump departed from his prepared text, which was a conventional tribute to the value of scouting, and delivered a rambling address reminiscent of his famous monologues from the 2016 campaign.

The speech left pundits aghast. Below, the 17 most remarkable moments:

1) He began by insulting the media: “Tonight, we put aside all of the policy fights in Washington, DC you’ve been hearing about with the fake news.” He added: “Boy, you’ve got a lot of people here. The press will say it’s about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people.”

2) He said “hell”: “Instead, we’re going to talk about success. About how all of you amazing young Scouts can achieve your dreams. What to think of what I’ve been thinking about — you want to achieve your dreams. I said, ‘Who the hell wants to speak about politics when I’m in front of the Boy Scouts?’”

3) He spoke of the Washington “cesspool”: “You know, I go to Washington and I see all these politicians, and I see the swamp and it’s not a good place. In fact today I said, ‘We ought to change it from the word swamp to the word cesspool or perhaps to the word sewer,’ but it’s not good. Not good.”

4) He falsely claimed the “fake media” wouldn’t report the size of the crowd: “By the way what do you think the chances are that this incredible massive crowd, record-setting, is going to be shown on television tonight? One per cent or zero? The fake media will say President Trump spoke — and you know what this is — ‘President Trump spoke before a small crowd of Boy Scouts today.’ That’s some, that is some crowd. Fake media. Fake news.”

5) He falsely suggested the media wouldn’t show the crowd on television:“Some of you here tonight might even have camped out in this yard when Mike (Pence) was the governor of Indiana, but the scouting was very, very important. And by the way, where are our Indiana scouts tonight? I wonder if the television cameras will follow you. They don’t like doing that when they see these massive crowds. They don’t like doing that.”

6) He called the Affordable Care Act “horrible”: “Secretary Tom Price is also here. Today Dr. Price still lives the Scout oath, helping to keep millions of Americans strong and healthy as our Secretary of Health and Human Services. He’s doing a great job and hopefully he’s going to get the votes tomorrow to start our path toward killing this horrible thing known as Obamacare that’s really hurting us.”

7) He mock-threatened to fire his health secretary: “By the way, are you going to get the votes? He better get ‘em. He better get ‘em. Oh, he better. Otherwise I’ll say ‘Tom, you’re fired.’”

8) He accidentally said “sex”: “Each of these leaders will tell you that their road to American sex. And you have to understand—their American success…”

9) He jabbed at predecessor Barack Obama: “By the way, just a question: did President Obama ever come to a Jamboree? And we’ll be back. We’ll be back. The answer’s no, but we’ll be back.”

10) He told a meandering five-minute story about developer William Levitt: “He sold his company for a tremendous amount of money and he went out and bought a big yacht and he had a very interesting life. I won’t go any more than that because you’re Boy Scouts, I’m not going to tell you what he did — should I tell you? Should I tell you? Oh, you’re Boy Scouts, but you know life, you know life.”

He continued: “What happened is he bought back his company and he bought back a lot of empty land…and in the end he failed and he failed badly. He lost all of his money, he went personally bankrupt, and he was now much older. And I saw him at a cocktail party. And it was very sad. Because the hottest people in New York were at this party. It was the party of Steve Ross. Steve Ross, he was one of the great people. He came and…”

11) He bragged about his election victory: “Do you remember that famous night on television, November 8, where they said, these dishonest people, where they said, ‘There is no path to victory for Donald Trump.” He continued: “Do you remember that incredible night with the maps. And the Republicans are red and the Democrats are blue. And that map was so red it was unbelievable, and they didn’t know what to say.”

12) He falsely claimed it is harder to win the Electoral College for Republicans than for Democrats: “We have a tremendous disadvantage in the Electoral College. Popular vote is much easier.”

13) He mocked Hillary Clinton’s campaign strategy: “Michigan came in. And we worked hard there. You know, my opponent didn’t work hard there. Because she was told, she was told she was going to win Michigan.”

14) He disparaged opinion polls: “The polls, that’s also fake news. They’re fake polls.”

15) He suggested children voted for him: “So I have to tell you. What we did, in all fairness, is an unbelievable tribute to you and all the other millions and millions of people that came out and voted for Make America Great Again.”

16) He falsely claimed he had produced the best jobs report in 16 years: “We had the best jobs report in 16 years.”

17) He promised to bring back “Merry Christmas”: “Under the Trump administration, you’ll be saying Merry Christmas again when you go shopping. Believe me. Merry Christmas. They’ve been downplaying that little beautiful phrase. You’re going to be saying Merry Christmas again, folks.”

WASHINGTON—U.S. President Donald Trump bragged about his election victory, insulted Hillary Clinton, attacked the “fake news,” told bizarre stories, said untrue things.

In other words, it was a typical Trump rally. Except he was speaking to children.

Trump appeared Monday evening at the 19th National Boy Scout Jamboree in West Virginia. Speaking to some 40,000 people, most of whom were boys under 18, Trump departed from his prepared text, which was a conventional tribute to the value of scouting, and delivered a rambling address reminiscent of his famous monologues from the 2016 campaign.

The speech left pundits aghast. Below, the 17 most remarkable moments:

1) He began by insulting the media: “Tonight, we put aside all of the policy fights in Washington, DC you’ve been hearing about with the fake news.” He added: “Boy, you’ve got a lot of people here. The press will say it’s about 200 people. It looks like about 45,000 people.”

2) He said “hell”: “Instead, we’re going to talk about success. About how all of you amazing young Scouts can achieve your dreams. What to think of what I’ve been thinking about — you want to achieve your dreams. I said, ‘Who the hell wants to speak about politics when I’m in front of the Boy Scouts?’”

3) He spoke of the Washington “cesspool”: “You know, I go to Washington and I see all these politicians, and I see the swamp and it’s not a good place. In fact today I said, ‘We ought to change it from the word swamp to the word cesspool or perhaps to the word sewer,’ but it’s not good. Not good.”

4) He falsely claimed the “fake media” wouldn’t report the size of the crowd: “By the way what do you think the chances are that this incredible massive crowd, record-setting, is going to be shown on television tonight? One per cent or zero? The fake media will say President Trump spoke — and you know what this is — ‘President Trump spoke before a small crowd of Boy Scouts today.’ That’s some, that is some crowd. Fake media. Fake news.”

5) He falsely suggested the media wouldn’t show the crowd on television:“Some of you here tonight might even have camped out in this yard when Mike (Pence) was the governor of Indiana, but the scouting was very, very important. And by the way, where are our Indiana scouts tonight? I wonder if the television cameras will follow you. They don’t like doing that when they see these massive crowds. They don’t like doing that.”

6) He called the Affordable Care Act “horrible”: “Secretary Tom Price is also here. Today Dr. Price still lives the Scout oath, helping to keep millions of Americans strong and healthy as our Secretary of Health and Human Services. He’s doing a great job and hopefully he’s going to get the votes tomorrow to start our path toward killing this horrible thing known as Obamacare that’s really hurting us.”

7) He mock-threatened to fire his health secretary: “By the way, are you going to get the votes? He better get ‘em. He better get ‘em. Oh, he better. Otherwise I’ll say ‘Tom, you’re fired.’”

8) He accidentally said “sex”: “Each of these leaders will tell you that their road to American sex. And you have to understand—their American success…”

9) He jabbed at predecessor Barack Obama: “By the way, just a question: did President Obama ever come to a Jamboree? And we’ll be back. We’ll be back. The answer’s no, but we’ll be back.”

10) He told a meandering five-minute story about developer William Levitt: “He sold his company for a tremendous amount of money and he went out and bought a big yacht and he had a very interesting life. I won’t go any more than that because you’re Boy Scouts, I’m not going to tell you what he did — should I tell you? Should I tell you? Oh, you’re Boy Scouts, but you know life, you know life.”

He continued: “What happened is he bought back his company and he bought back a lot of empty land…and in the end he failed and he failed badly. He lost all of his money, he went personally bankrupt, and he was now much older. And I saw him at a cocktail party. And it was very sad. Because the hottest people in New York were at this party. It was the party of Steve Ross. Steve Ross, he was one of the great people. He came and…”

11) He bragged about his election victory: “Do you remember that famous night on television, November 8, where they said, these dishonest people, where they said, ‘There is no path to victory for Donald Trump.” He continued: “Do you remember that incredible night with the maps. And the Republicans are red and the Democrats are blue. And that map was so red it was unbelievable, and they didn’t know what to say.”

12) He falsely claimed it is harder to win the Electoral College for Republicans than for Democrats: “We have a tremendous disadvantage in the Electoral College. Popular vote is much easier.”

13) He mocked Hillary Clinton’s campaign strategy: “Michigan came in. And we worked hard there. You know, my opponent didn’t work hard there. Because she was told, she was told she was going to win Michigan.”

14) He disparaged opinion polls: “The polls, that’s also fake news. They’re fake polls.”

15) He suggested children voted for him: “So I have to tell you. What we did, in all fairness, is an unbelievable tribute to you and all the other millions and millions of people that came out and voted for Make America Great Again.”

16) He falsely claimed he had produced the best jobs report in 16 years: “We had the best jobs report in 16 years.”

17) He promised to bring back “Merry Christmas”: “Under the Trump administration, you’ll be saying Merry Christmas again when you go shopping. Believe me. Merry Christmas. They’ve been downplaying that little beautiful phrase. You’re going to be saying Merry Christmas again, folks.”

[Et Tu, Meso ...]

Donald Trump’s angry morning tweet storm reached another new low with attacks on his Attorney General for not investigating his former presidential opponent, and on his acting FBI Director’s integrity. This and other attacks on key law enforcement figures in his own Executive branch goes far beyond breaking norms of investigatory independence.

They bring us clearly into the territory, where we may have been for a while, of a president bent on destroying the authority of the Justice Department that he worries, perhaps for reasons only he knows, may destroy him. At no time in modern history (and perhaps ever) has a President been so openly at odds, and bent on discrediting, his senior law enforcement and intelligence officials.

I think, as I suggested the other day, that the only thing for the men and women of the Justice Department to do is to keep doing their jobs well until they get fired. That is the way to serve the American people in upholding the rule of law in the face of a president bent on trying to destroy it. It is a remarkable fact that despite Trump’s relentless attacks on DOJ independence, DOJ continues to function with extraordinary independence, which every single Trump DOJ nominee has underscored before the Senate and—with the possible exception of Rosenstein’s shenanigans with the Comey firing—in practice. The President can fire Sessions and Rosenstein and McCabe if he likes, but he cannot fire everyone, and he cannot stop an investigation that now has a relentless logic that is only reinforced every time he attacks DOJ independence. In this regard, Trump’s unhinged tweets display weakness, not strength.

The crazier Trump gets with law enforcement, the more the pressure will rise on Congress to do something more about it. Congress has shown more backbone on the Russia matter than it gets credit for (witness the upcoming sanctions that limits Trump’s room for maneuver, and the robust Senate Intelligence Committee investigation). I continue to think that if Trump acts (as opposed to talks) to try to halt a robust Russia investigation, Congress will respond in kind. As I have said before, I know that sounds naïve to some, and I hope but am not sure I am right.

The Healthcare Bill Exposes Trump's Chilling Authoritarian Agenda
The Healthcare Bill Exposes Trump's Chilling Authoritarian Agenda

"REPRESSING WOMEN IS A CHARACTERISTIC ASPECT OF AUTHORITARIAN RULE. IT'S MEANT TO FRIGHTEN US INTO DISILLUSIONMENT AND COMPLIANCE."

All thirteen of the members who designed this bill were men. And while the legislation has the potential to hurt every American, many of its stipulations are explicitly designed to render women unable to acquire basic care. If the new bill is signed into law, rape and sexual assault—far more common among women than men—could be considered pre-existing conditions by the federal government.

For women who let their insurance lapse, maternity coverage will no longer be guaranteed, and pregnant women may face surcharges up to $17,000 for care. C-sections could also be considered a pre-existing condition, meaning that a woman could incur costs of roughly $50,000 for simply wanting another child. States could determine that having a heavy period or other menstrual irregularities is a pre-existing condition to be paid for out of pocket.

Erectile dysfunction, at the moment, is still covered.

It is not surprising that no women were involved in the creation of the healthcare bill. Women currently comprise only 19.4% of the House, are in no senior cabinet positions, and remain a minority in every branch of government and most sectors of public influence, like business, media, and technology. To be clear, this gender imbalance existed under the Obama administration and all others before it; half of the population being represented by a fragment is nothing new. The difference is that prior administrations were not fledgling kleptocratic autocracies whose primary opponents are female citizens.

Back