What is your eGFR? Age? Blood pressure?

eGFR 58, was on var during last test, plus no water 10 hours before blood draw.

BP ranges from 110/70 to 136/86, depends on how much water I'm holding.

Mid 40's

eGFR measured by creatinine tends to range from 50-58. Always below 60.

I had doctors scared that I was going to have kidney failure. I went to a nephrologist and got a cystatin c test and everything came back fine. eGFR calculated from cystatin c is around 117.

Creatinine is really not a good test for kidney function for people like us.

eGFR was 106 on my last bloods a week ago. 43 years old, 185lbs, bp averages 115/70, I take 80mg telmisartan mostly as a prophylactic. 125mg test 2x a week, 50mg deca 2x a week as TRT. Had actually been 250mg twice a week for a month when I drew blood as I wanna take advantage of being able to walk into farmacias and buy stuff while I'm still in Mexico.

edit - I'm 1/8 black and the black eGFR was listed as 123 so I'm not sure if I should add 1/8 of the difference or not

I'm not sure if I should add 1/8 of the difference or not
LOL! This part cracked me up! :D:D:D

The funny thing is that the entire reason there is a difference at all is that doctors noticed that black patients had more muscle mass than white patients.

So they changed the range for black patient tests as compared to other races.

So what does that say about bodybuilders of ANY race? It tells me that more muscle mass means this test is not going to be accurate.

There is a movement on now to change the reference range (all races the same) but kidney doctors are objecting, saying that will cause false concerns for healthy black males who get a reading under the other reference range. Again, that tells me that bodybuilders probably need a different range, too, but it looks like Pantera, Flyguy3232, and TRT@40 other have the more correct answer - cystatin c test.

I had doctors scared that I was going to have kidney failure. I went to a nephrologist and got a cystatin c test and everything came back fine. eGFR calculated from cystatin c is around 117.

I think you are correct about the cystatin c test. Thank you for adding to this thread.

LOL! This part cracked me up! :D:D:D

The funny thing is that the entire reason there is a difference at all is that doctors noticed that black patients had more muscle mass than white patients.

So they changed the range for black patient tests as compared to other races.

So what does that say about bodybuilders of ANY race? It tells me that more muscle mass means this test is not going to be accurate.

There is a movement on now to change the reference range (all races the same) but kidney doctors are objecting, saying that will cause false concerns for healthy black males who get a reading under the other reference range. Again, that tells me that bodybuilders probably need a different range, too, but it looks like Pantera, Flyguy3232, and TRT@40 other have the more correct answer - cystatin c test.

Gotta wonder why our black brothers naturally have more muscle mass and has it always been this way or just the past 500 years or so?

Gotta wonder why our black brothers naturally have more muscle mass and has it always been this way or just the past 500 years or so?
I think it's both African Americans as well as those still on the continent so while hilarious the insinuation is likely not the cause

Just get a cystatin c test and drink more water. Creatnine is an awful way of measuring . There are several equations by the way, the best factors in both cystatin c, gender, race, creatnine, height, and age. My egfr came back at 66 one time. I got new bloods with cystatin c and creatnine, formula varied between eGFR 128 and 144 lol

Plug your values in here and click “remove body surface adjustment” to enter height and weight

This cystatin test is not really common though IMO as it's a specialized test and I got mine thru a nephrologist too. Would be nice if this test is included on say Labsmd or Privatemdlabs. Mine's a bit on the low side with that test (64) as I'm getting older it seems...

This cystatin test is not really common though IMO as it's a specialized test and I got mine thru a nephrologist too. Would be nice if this test is included on say Labsmd or Privatemdlabs. Mine's a bit on the low side with that test (64) as I'm getting older it seems...
I bought mine from walkinlabs.com and paid for it with hsa. They let you use quest or labcorp

eGFR was 120.. but it is just calculated from a 0,8 creatinine value.
every 2 years i get a cystatin C test because those are much more reliable. Creatinine is not sensitive enough (creatinine is good even if there are slight issues already up to a certain point and then dips very fast..)
BP is on "non-blast" always around 125/65.. wish the diastolic value was a bit higher

eGFR was 120.. but it is just calculated from a 0,8 creatinine value.
every 2 years i get a cystatin C test because those are much more reliable. Creatinine is not sensitive enough (creatinine is good even if there are slight issues already up to a certain point and then dips very fast..)
BP is on "non-blast" always around 125/65.. wish the diastolic value was a bit higher
Mine has been around 117/68 or so...

yeah, i would rather have my diastolic @ mid 70`s..
if its in the low 60's i tend to get some dizziness sometimes
Yeah so far have not experienced dizziness at that level thankfully, but far better than 185/95 when I was on cycle (and my doc freaked out in a panic!)

Back