What R U Eating ? ~OGH wants to know.....

Cooked to perfection.
My mum would be proud.
She is very good at cooking meat.
Actually it was a bit on the overdone side for my preference. I was shooting for Mid-Rare, but on a huge and thick steak like that one it can be difficult to hit the center of the bullseye on temp. It was still delicious.

Actually it was a bit on the overdone side for my preference. I was shooting for Mid-Rare, but on a huge and thick steak like that one it can be difficult to hit the center of the bullseye on temp. It was still delicious.

There's a place nearby that has absolutely massive cowboy steaks:

IMG_7808.webp

They're impossible to grill without overcooking the outside. One could sous vide them, but my favorite method is "reverse sear". I have a really nice, precise "toaster" oven, which is really just a small convection oven. After seasoning and thoroughly drying the steak, I'll put the it on a quarter sheet with a wire rack in the oven at 200f until the internal temperature comes up to 115f which may take up to 2 hours. From there, a quick sear on either side is usually enough to finish it up. The added benefit is that with the drying action of the convection oven, the surface of the steak will develop a nice crust more easily.

Even still a quick read thermometer is necessary to finish.

View attachment 298166

They're impossible to grill without overcooking the outside. One could sous vide them, but my favorite method is "reverse sear". I have a really nice, precise "toaster" oven, which is really just a small convection oven. After seasoning and thoroughly drying the steak, I'll put the it on a quarter sheet with a wire rack in the oven at 200f until the internal temperature comes up to 115f which may take up to 2 hours. From there, a quick sear on either side is usually enough to finish it up. The added benefit is that with the drying action of the convection oven, the surface of the steak will develop a nice crust more easily.

Damn does that ever look like a delicious cut of meat though! But yeah, that would be very difficult to approach from a grilling standpoint. I am not sure I could polish it all off but I would give it the ole college try. Looks like about what? 4 inches thick give or take? I might just go for a 'black and blue' style prep and temp and enjoy it that way. N

View attachment 298166

Negatory, sir. Perfection throughout can be acquired using a simple Weber kettle grill and some serious knowledge and skill.

I could show ya in like 10 minutes but basically load up a chimney starter to the top with your favorite charcoal. Light and allow coals to get hot.

Dump coals in grill bottom and push those hot ass mutherfukers all the way to one side. So much so that the grill grate will barely fit on top.

Cowboy ribeye should be room temp. Slap salt and pepper (I actually prefer Montreal steak seasoning) on both side and mash it in the meat with a giant spoon or something. Drizzle oil on one side of steak.

Sear the shit out of both sides of the steak on the hot side of grill but don’t burn it. Feel the steak. Should be very soft overall still. Then move that slab of beef to the cooler side to finish. Not directly over the coals.

I am the master at cowboy ribeyes. My Facebook pics are proof lol.

They sure are fantastic and will impress a beef loving woman big time!

Back