• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Why can't I run anymore? Shin problems....

Spokeonawheel

I've recently began a much more dedicated cardio program as I feel I very much needed it.
I've been using a variety of machines including ellipticals, stairclimbers, ski machines, stationary bikes. I have no problem doing a pretty intense 30 minute session and I'm enjoying it.
What I can't do is run. After about a half mile or 3 to 4 minutes I develop tightness and pain in my shins that is... debilitating. Feels like an extreme pump. And its pissing me the fuck off. It seems pitiful to me that I can't do this simple exercise.
I've been attempting to run 2 or 3 times a week and I just have not made much progress towards these muscles adapting.
I used to enjoy running years and years ago when I was in High School and early 20s. Also I weighed about 150 pounds then.....now I'm 225 to 230. I have been a dedicated lifter for about 10 years but I havent trained calves.....I just never bothered.
I get that these are probably "shin splints" but if anyone could shed some light on what is causing it or how i could fix it I would really appreciate it.

** other info: currently cruising at 200 mg/wk test E. No other meds... relatively lean and in good physical condition otherwise. Probably 15% bodyfat (lol fluffy)

I've recently began a much more dedicated cardio program as I feel I very much needed it.
I've been using a variety of machines including ellipticals, stairclimbers, ski machines, stationary bikes. I have no problem doing a pretty intense 30 minute session and I'm enjoying it.
What I can't do is run. After about a half mile or 3 to 4 minutes I develop tightness and pain in my shins that is... debilitating. Feels like an extreme pump. And its pissing me the fuck off. It seems pitiful to me that I can't do this simple exercise.
I've been attempting to run 2 or 3 times a week and I just have not made much progress towards these muscles adapting.
I used to enjoy running years and years ago when I was in High School and early 20s. Also I weighed about 150 pounds then.....now I'm 225 to 230. I have been a dedicated lifter for about 10 years but I havent trained calves.....I just never bothered.
I get that these are probably "shin splints" but if anyone could shed some light on what is causing it or how i could fix it I would really appreciate it.

** other info: currently cruising at 200 mg/wk test E. No other meds... relatively lean and in good physical condition otherwise. Probably 15% bodyfat (lol fluffy)

Shit, I thought it was just me. I get the same exact thing no matter what I do. Hell, I get it when I’m on cycle just walking more than 2 miles.

It’s gotta be the effects of training, which tightens everything up in the muscles, right? So like the article @ickyrica posted, foam rolling would probably loosed that up.

Like you described it, it’s a bad muscle pump on the small muscles on the outside of the shin bone. Probably rolling with a lacrosse ball would be best bet.

I used to run a lot and my shins were a mess. Shorter strides made a world of difference, prehab work helped as well

Long time, long distance runner. From experience and reading, shin issues from running are usually excessive heel striking or wearing shoes which have highly elevated heels. Best to see find what kind of foot striker you are and get shoes specific to your style. I'm a neutral runner and prefer saucony kinvaras.

Try and focus on a more mid foot strike and see if that helps...

Long time, long distance runner. From experience and reading, shin issues from running are usually excessive heel striking or wearing shoes which have highly elevated heels. Best to see find what kind of foot striker you are and get shoes specific to your style. I'm a neutral runner and prefer saucony kinvaras.

Try and focus on a more mid foot strike and see if that helps...

This.

Longer strides can contribute to heel striking, as well. Try to shorten up your stride and see if that helps at all.

This.

Longer strides can contribute to heel striking, as well. Try to shorten up your stride and see if that helps at all.

Yeppers.

Run like a dog, not on your toes but the ball of your foot. Absorbs a lot of the impact and saves knees / hips as well.

I've found that, stupid as they look, the barefoot shoes are a huge difference maker as well.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have finally made some progress running much more on the ball of my foot. Ran a pretty comforable 2 miles the other day.
Several things mentioned helped. I had a hard time trying to change the way my body wanted to run naturally. Or unlearn habits that efficiently carried a body that weighed 80 pounds less. Too much heel.or midfoot...

So.thank you everyone.

4 month ago I couldn't run the length of myself without crippling shinsplints, went and got my gait tested and have now ran in 3 10k's and a half marathon without too many problems. I also found running at slower speeds and shorter strides during training runs helped to get time on your feet.

You say you got your gait tested? What did you do to improve things? How large of a fellow are you?

I have improved in the running but I can not say that I really it comfortably.

You say you got your gait tested? What did you do to improve things? How large of a fellow are you?

I have improved in the running but I can not say that I really it comfortably.
They looked at the way my feet landed, turned I'm extremely flat footed and also had a lot roll in my feet. They recommended trainers to combat that and so far so good, any niggles I've had since has been trying to do too much to quick such as trying to run 30 odd mile a week about 6 weeks after starting.
What I did to improve was shoes suited to my feet.
Slow down on training runs, to about 10min miles or slower if needed, the aim is to get the miles in.
Controlling my breathing played a big part in getting better.
I do a fair bit of hiking and I believe that's has helped alot.
Weight training(obviously) not a fan of the pow look.
Last 10k was my quickest 51m 22s not the quickest by any means but no one passed me from behind and I finished 86th out of 322 which I'm pleased with considering the time I've been doing it.
I was 17st at 6ft when I started, yesterday morning I was weighing in at 13st 11 lbs. My goal nowadays is to eventually go into ultras but try and keep some muscle looking for a more athletic look these days now approaching mid 40's.

Speciality running stores and even Dicks sporting goods can analyze you running on a treadmill. I did and found out I'm a neutral runner and stuck with neutral running shoes. Highly reconnected a free analysis, I'd buy shoes online to save money.

You could try doing some reverse calf raises or shin raises. Those have helped me with shin splints in the past. Foam rolling and lacrosse ball has also helped.

Here's the cure, at least for me:
Use resistance and curl your foot toward your knee. I secure a latex band around my dresser and hook the other end around the top of my toes. Then I scoot back until it's tight. Then just curl repeatedly until my shin starts to burn, maybe 50 reps. Do a few sets 3 days a week. It never takes more than a week of that and I'm completely cured.