Worf's 1st meet log

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by Worf, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

My thought would be chain is true vertical pull, where bands may have some deflection. I dunno for sure and curious as well

NovaFlex and Worf like this.
  2. BigBaldBeardGuy

BigBaldBeardGuy Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Here’s the most helpful tool I’ve ever found

www.google.com

Not being a dick but I get the same questions popping in my head at random times except my brain won’t let it go. So I have to get answers immediately.

If you google it, the first page that comes back has the following:

“As a recap, the main difference between chains and bands is the different resistance they provide, while chains provide a linear increase in resistance, bands provide an exponential increase in resistance. With the exponential increase in resistance, bands require much higher eccentric strength and eccentric control.”

I like bands for benchpress and deadlifts but I hate them for squat as the tension really messes up my lower back. So for squats I prefer using chains. Chains sound cool during each rep. And it’s a lot easier to determine the weight you’re lifting with chains. For bands, you need a way to measure the tension - I’ve seen guys use the salt-water fish weighing scales since they have a hook for the band and a handle to stretch it out with. Pain in the ass!

Worf and NovaFlex like this.
  3. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

I googled a ton of shit about this lol. I tend not to ask questions, and find the answers myself. It’s just difficult to tell if the difference is major enough to warrant spending hundreds on chains

Worf and BigBaldBeardGuy like this.
  4. BigBaldBeardGuy

BigBaldBeardGuy Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Like I said, bands suck for squats because it's a lot of tension while you're walking it out and they just want to shoot you back down.

But for bench and deadlift they are great.

So 2 out of 3 is pretty good!

I think Perrin might have said it before, the slingshot offers basically the same thing, it'll allow you to overweight the bar and assists with that initial press, and then you have to keep the speed up to overcome the additional resistance in the top half of the press. I've used it a couple times and found it to be a similar motion to using chains. Slingshot is $55-$70 depending on which version you get.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    NovaFlex and Worf like this.
  5. Worf

Worf Member

Yea pretty much, they don’t alter bar path the way the bands do. The bands also deload into the user where chains deload to the floor. So subtle differences and honesty for the price bands are where it’s at.

NovaFlex and Silentlemon1011 like this.
  6. Worf

Worf Member

Crane makes a 600 lb scale that about $35 shipped on amazon. Pretty much a necessity if you’re try to calculate accommodating resistance accurately.
    @BigBaldBeardGuy is correct. Bands are trash for squats, great for deadlift, I like them for bench as well but it does fuck up my bar path from time to time. Cheapest I could find chains was about $110 for 60 lb set, so figure $220 for a full set. If you’re a 400+ squatter, bencher or deadlifter you’ll need 100+ lb of chains. For that price I can buy about 2x the bands that I need for accommodating resistance. A good set from elite FTS or rouge is about $100 shipped. I can do a shit load more with bands than with chains outside adding weight to a bar. If it weren’t for the Kung flu making everyone crazy I would have saved chains for last. Just worked out I could afford them at the time.

7. Worf

Worf Member

Sling shot is next my dude. Got a bench block the other day. Got half my plates shipped in today. Probably get a Texas Squat bar and some more plate storage stuff here soon. I’m semi tempted to rent a small shop and open up an underground gym if the hysteria continues. The government is hurting people to save face by closing everything. I’m gonna do my part to extend a great big middle finger to those cock suckers.

8. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

For what I’d use them for (bench) I’ll just stick with the slingshot then. I rotate it in the lineup pretty often anyway...I assumed it had the same effect, I just wasn’t totally sure.

Completely agree. I was just curious, because it seems everyone is using chains now lol. I love my bands tho...and especially their flexibility of use, and all the rehab and shit we can do with them too.

-Renting a shop would be awesome. It’s kinda what I’m striving for in my basement...I wanna have all the necessities for a conjugate style gym + conditioning. And then just invite people over.

Worf and BigBaldBeardGuy like this.
  9. Worf

Worf Member

I don’t personally think slingshot compares to chains or regular band setup, it’s not the same. Having used all of these, Id compare a slingshot to a reverse band set up.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Silentlemon1011 likes this.
  10. Worf

Worf Member

Bw:221

Today’s Training
    ME Upper

1/2 Board Bench + bands
    185+30lb bandsx3
    225+30lb bandsx3
    275+30lb bands x3
    285+30lb bands 2x2

Larsen Press Close Grip ( Index finger on the smooth)
    185x8,225x8,245x8

Dbell Seal Rows
    45lb 2x20

Dbell Ohp
    45lb 3x15
    Dbell shrugs 3 sec pause
    45 3x10

Barbell Shrugs
    135x15,20,25

band pull aparts
    Red Monster Mini
    3x10

1/2 board press with a band was kinda dumb but it was different. Kinda limited so w are screwing around with stuff a bit.

NovaFlex and Perrin Aybara like this.
  11. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Imagine having the cops raid your underground gym like it's the prohibition days all over again.

12. NovaFlex

NovaFlex Member

Lmao “where’s the chalk motherfuckers??...give me that membership list too”

MindlessWork, Perrin Aybara and Worf like this.
  13. Worf

Worf Member

The government will never learn their lesson. Make anything illegal and it gets driven underground.
    They better bring their shit. I got mine my training partner has guns laying all over his house too.

14. Worf

Worf Member

I actually looked around for some small workshops to rent. Air conditioned they run about $1000 a month for about 1000-1500 sq ft. Have to have about 20 people paying dues to cover the rent. Wouldn’t even cover the cost of equipment, don’t know how gym owners do it.

15. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

If you already had the land and extra garage space wouldn't really cost much.

MindlessWork and Worf like this.
  16. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

That sounds nice but you might have landlords asking about what you planning to use the space for and some might worry about liability so you might have to get insurance too. Not trying to be a buzzkill but that's a legitimate question that might be asked. I was thinking of leasing a small space just for my use as well.

Worf likes this.
  17. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

When they come asking dumb questions just do what Brad Pitt did in Fight Club. Problem solved.

MindlessWork, NovaFlex and Worf like this.
  18. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Lol agree...best thing is to sort of dance around that question if it does arise :)

A 1000sq ft space is a pretty decent size and you can certainly fit a lot of equipment in there. I can even consider 600 sq ft even. Also would want it to have a concrete floor.

And I sure hope cops would not ask me about the little gym lmao!

Worf and Perrin Aybara like this.
  19. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

Yup and now shut down but making rent, utility, and any equipment lease payments. Part of my justification to buying my home gym. My gym owner doesnt take a wage, she cant. Barely making ends meet and had already talked about closing shop before Christmas. I dont see how she can keep open if this goes on for months. She is the only gym you can actually lift weight in for about 70 plus miles.

NovaFlex and BigBaldBeardGuy like this.
  20. Worf

Worf Member

Thanks government

Btcowboy likes this.