• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Your age divided by 2 = number of reps?

Haha....
Why!?
In my opinion there is never a reason to go past 12,reps. Unless you are trying to max rep something.
Lifting heavy is all around better for any fitness goal.

Haha....
Why!?
In my opinion there is never a reason to go past 12,reps. Unless you are trying to max rep something.
Lifting heavy is all around better for any fitness goal.

OP there is no truth to the age rep thing.
As far as more than 12 reps there are many good reasons. It depends on what your goal is at the time of your routine. For maintenance low reps 6-8 mixed with high reps 12-15-18 is useful to keep mass hard and to become more vascular when dieting for a show.

During diet we get weaker and it is hard to do continuous heavy sets. As people with injuries might have to do a routine with lighter weight and high reps in order to keep up and not loose so much during recovery.

Myself at my age I have figured out by experience that I have to do more high rep sets with very few lower 6-8 type reps to failure. You can maintain quite a bit of your mass for a while by reaching failure at high reps. This as long as you get to failure.

The point to the low reps is to build mass. A routine doing 6-8 reps to complete failure on every set after warm up will be all overload to create a breakdown and rebuild cycle. Hence more mass.

Getting ready for a show or maybe leaning out for the summer beach going, well you have reached the point of mass growth for temp satisfaction or a show and now it's time to do a little higher reps due to our dieting and wanting to keep what size we have at that point.

I've been 183lbs and deadlifted 495 lifting no more than 10 reps on lifts, except for pullups
I'm 230 now and probably can't even deadlift that due to injuries.
Lifting bigger weight does not equate to bigger muscles.
Lifting lighter weight more does not equate to densit or vascularity.

Both are achieved through nutrition. Or at least in my experience.

The word nutrition is about the biggest factor in all of this, aside from consistently training imo

I've been 183lbs and deadlifted 495 lifting no more than 10 reps on lifts, except for pullups

Shit man we have the same 183 record! Basically brothers

There's a lot of misinformation here

OP there is no truth to the age rep thing.

Correct

As far as more than 12 reps there are many good reasons. It depends on what your goal is at the time of your routine.

No there aren't many good reasons. About the only good reason is muscular endurance but that neither helps build muscle mass nor does it help maintain muscle mass which are the goals for most ppl here. If you're into crossfit or other endurance type activities then sure going above 12reps can be useful but that's not for he majority. Doing a burnout set of 12+ reps now and then can be beneficial but those aren't something to be done regularly either.

For maintenance low reps 6-8 mixed with high reps 12-15-18 is useful to keep mass hard and to become more vascular when dieting for a show.

6-8reps is not low reps. Furthermore, high reps don't do much to help preserve muscle mass. Cutting training volume while working in the 1-5reo range, so as a high intensity can be maintained, is what best reserves muscle mass training wise.

During diet we get weaker and it is hard to do continuous heavy sets. As people with injuries might have to do a routine with lighter weight and high reps in order to keep up and not loose so much during recovery.

That's why as you diet you cut training volume NOT intensity.

Myself at my age I have figured out by experience that I have to do more high rep sets with very few lower 6-8 type reps to failure. You can maintain quite a bit of your mass for a while by reaching failure at high reps. This as long as you get to failure.

Training to failure is not conducive to preserving muscle in a cut. It can actually have a detrimental effect.

The point to the low reps is to build mass.

Misleading. Low reps, 1-3reps, can help build a little muscle mass but they're primary benefit is neuromuscular. They're best for strength gains.

Last edited:
Before I go into all this shit you have spewed here I would politely like ask you how old you are , how long you have been training and been involved in the use of AAS. How many shows have you done.
You did a good job with your outline here. ???

Before I go into all this shit you have spewed here I would politely like ask you how old you are , how long you have been training and been involved in the use of AAS. How many shows have you done.

Alright , MuscleMike is getting into it with Doc , on his 4th day here. lol .
You"ll do well here Mike ;)

Correct

No there aren't many good reasons. About the only good reason is muscular endurance but that neither helps build muscle mass nor does it help maintain muscle mass which are the goals for most ppl here. If you're into crossfit or other endurance type activities then sure going above 12reps can be useful but that's not for he majority. Doing a burnout set of 12+ reps now and then can be beneficial but those aren't something to be done regularly either.

6-8reps is not low reps. Furthermore, high reps don't do much to help preserve muscle mass. Cutting training volume while working in the 1-5reo range, so as a high intensity can be maintained, is what best reserves muscle mass training wise.

Training to failure is not conducive to preserving muscle in a cut. It can actually have a detrimental effect.

Misleading. Low reps, 1-3reps, can help build a little muscle mass but they're primary benefit is neuromuscular. They're best for strength gains.
I really can't find anything I don't like about this. ^^^^^
My last cut I got down to a lean 250 on 1900 cals a day and heavy work done everyday. On my cruise. I also got ridiculously strong. On a cruise

This high rep garbage is age old bro science. Prolly remnants from arnolds day.

Correct

Doc... you need to change your name to prophet, cause you just wrote the bible.

You can maintain quite a bit of your mass for a while by reaching failure at high reps. This as long as you get to failure.

Docd hit most of it but I just wanted to point my laser in this direction.

So during a calorie deficit where your main goal is to maintain the mass you currently have, you believe the best thing to do is to breakdown your muscle fibres as far as possible then because of the deficit not give them all the nutritients they require to recover and you think this will retain mass?

When you get back on board here. Reread carefully what I wrote as you broke it down and read carefully what you wrote .

I'll hit on one item for now and that is the rep range I talk of. Rep ranges of 1-3 are usually done as a power lifting regimen and the 4 or 6-8 rep range is for building size , more mass. I don't have them here but there are so many studies and with my experience as my career as a competitor and gym owner trainer that the 6-8 heavy routines to failure are designed to break the muscle down and cause a cycle of repair. Quite a Simple Simon idea ya know. I'm not a power lifter but I have not know anyone that considers a 1-3 rep for a ROUTINE.

I spoke of 12 plus reps and qualified that by saying FOR A REASON. So your ridiculous come back there was actually agree by adding NOT MANY. There are many reasons to do high reps when you are getting ready for a show or just cutting and you are wrong with your idea of it not HELPING to hold mass.
I'm gonna stop here. I will get back on here later and hopefully set some of these things straight.

Oh, I don't believe I ever said to decrease the intensity. Also I agree as all of the educated BB's know it's your diet which is the number one most critical component whether it be bulking or leaning out. Cutting if you will.

Docd hit most of it but I just wanted to point my laser in this direction.

So during a calorie deficit where your main goal is to maintain the mass you currently have, you believe the best thing to do is to breakdown your muscle fibres as far as possible then because of the deficit not give them all the nutritients they require to recover and you think this will retain mass?

Ok hold on maybe I didn't say something right here. When I talk of breaking down and rebuilding I didn't mean while dieting down. Listen I'm not going to get into some BS argument here. I never meant to breakdown your muscle fibers during the calorie deficit and I don't know where I said that.

However if that's how it was taken please that's not what I meant. Clearly how you put it is `backwards thinking and would not make any sense.

Ok hold on maybe I didn't say something right here. When I talk of breaking down and rebuilding I didn't mean while dieting down. Listen I'm not going to get into some BS argument here. I never meant to breakdown your muscle fibers during the calorie deficit and I don't know where I said that.

However if that's how it was taken please that's not what I meant. Clearly how you put it is `backwards thinking and would not make any sense.

Why would you say "you can maintain quite a bit of your mass for a while by reaching failure at high reps" if you didn't mean it to be while in a deficit... If I'm in a surplus I'm not looking to
Maintain shit I'm looking to grow or am I having flawed thinking here?

I guess I have stepped on some toes here? Hmm didn't mean to do that but I will tell it like I know it to be. I don't think I am the authority on all of this but I can speak to my experience and the experience of study and watching others train and be trained.

Let's go ask Phil Jackson how many basketball games he played in and how many championships he won as a player. Let's ask Boris Sheiko how many lifting titles he's won as a lifted than see how many titles his athletes have won.

Let's not go down the fallacious route of mixing experience with knowledge. The two aren't always a product of each other.

I've been lifting most of my life and I don't do shows. I prefer not to lose for other men but that's me. Nothing wrong with someone who enjoys BB. I compete in PL